Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sinister (2012)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Myerszilla View Post
    Only three of those movies deserve to be listed...the rest are unbelievably overrated and, in some cases, absolutely fucking boring.

    People who are all "old school, FUCK NEW SCHOOL" or vice versa are annoying. Not every horror movie from the '70's was good just like not every movie from the 2000-2010's is bad.
    Really? Care to name which ones? I hope you don't mean The Thing.....because it doesn't have hawt chicks, dooderz! Total sausage fest! Or something equally moronic. I mean that would be as moronic as claiming the gross fake tits in the Friday the 13th Remake was best nudity EV-VAHR! When everybody knows the eighties movies of that franchise featured much better natural breasts.

    You better not mean The Shining either.

    Hell, I do believe you're not even allowed to like Lords Of Boredom but then turn around and call The Shining boring. In my humble estimation Lords Of Boredom is basically Rob Zombie failing at making his own personal Shining.

    I should also point out that since the Scream franchise was brought up as well as its endless parade of imitators, that kind of illustrates my point. That the TCM remake made about the same money as Saw that same year in '03, and on a not much bigger budget. We've since gotten six more remakes or sequels to remakes in the following decade. Counting just the big dog franchises.

    So no sooner than Saw broke remakes of the cornerstone franchises were already getting churned out; only seven years after the original Scream movie. I may have misconstrued Sins' point but my main point is the eighties big dogs aren't going anywhere as far as horror fans' collective consciousness goes. Scream and its ilk didn't knock them down a peg even with the deconstructionist tone and neither will the newest fads. They'll keep place in history.....which is admittedly more regurgitated shit than classics.

    But at least it's not a puppet on a tricycle mascotting for some super genius with a God complex.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DudeClassicMan View Post
      But at least it's not a puppet on a tricycle mascotting for some super genius with a God complex.
      More interesting than the same indestructible, towering Michael & Jason who birthed the generic, unoriginal slasher killers that do the same shit every movie. Also more interesting than the gimmicky Freddy who spits out nothing but corny dialogue through all the films. At least with Saw they attempted to be creative and challenge the viewer (with varying degrees of success).

      But being around younger people (15-20) who grew up with Saw & Scream, they are just as, if not more likely to recognize Jigsaw & Ghostface than the big three, with the exclusion of probably Jason who is absolutely the most popular out of all of them. The big three aren't going anywhere but I think you're underestimating just how huge Scream (I'm sure Scary Movie played a big part in Scream's later popularity as well) and Saw are.

      Saw came out in '04, TCM was in '03, BTW.

      Originally posted by DudeClassicMan View Post
      Scream and its ilk didn't knock them down a peg even with the deconstructionist tone and neither will the newest fads.
      What's your point? The Goodfellas, Departed, and Casino's didn't ever knock down The Godfather. Nosferatu and the original Dracula were never knocked down by The Lost Boys or Near Dark. Scream basically spawned it's own self awareness sub-genre (Which, we learned from Crystal Lake Memories did effect Jason X) with Saw doing the same with the "torture porn" just as Halloween & Friday the 13th spawned the generic slasher revolution in the 80's.

      The goal of new movies is not to "Knock" the original "Classics" down.


      Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
      I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

      Comment


      • Sinister is easily one of the best horror movies of the last few years.


        And the score by Christopher Young is prob the best and creepiest ever.


        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jayy View Post
          Sinister is easily one of the best horror movies of the last few years.


          And the score by Christopher Young is prob the best and creepiest ever.


          I would agree with you if it wasn't for the cheesy ending and a particularly lame jump scare mid way through. Definitely up there but there are little things that would have took no effort to change that would improve the overall product a bunch.


          Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
          I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
            I would agree with you if it wasn't for the cheesy ending and a particularly lame jump scare mid way through. Definitely up there but there are little things that would have took no effort to change that would improve the overall product a bunch.
            I will partly agree with you on the ending. I wanted more there but all in all I really enjoyed the movie.

            If you're talking about Lawn Work '86, that was f'ing great.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jayy View Post

              If you're talking about Lawn Work '86, that was f'ing great.
              Fuck yeah.

              That scene was a jump scare. I jumped right out of my fucking seat !!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Rusted View Post
                Fuck yeah.

                That scene was a jump scare. I jumped right out of my fucking seat !!
                I did too. I jumped like hell.

                And the part when he got into the attic and the attic door fell shut...also jumped like hell.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Jayy View Post
                  I will partly agree with you on the ending. I wanted more there but all in all I really enjoyed the movie.

                  If you're talking about Lawn Work '86, that was f'ing great.
                  Spoilers obv

                  I'm referring to when Ethan Hawke is inspecting the kitchen one of the ghost girls is on the table or some shit behind him (I may be wrong on the details but that was bad nonetheless.)

                  Originally posted by Rusted View Post
                  Fuck yeah.

                  That scene was a jump scare. I jumped right out of my fucking seat !!
                  Arguably the most effective jump scene ever. I had to pause the movie and go get something to eat after that.


                  Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                  I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Jayy View Post
                    I did too. I jumped like hell.

                    And the part when he got into the attic and the attic door fell shut...also jumped like hell.
                    Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
                    Spoilers obv

                    I'm referring to when Ethan Hawke is inspecting the kitchen one of the ghost girls is on the table or some shit behind him (I may be wrong on the details but that was bad nonetheless.)

                    Arguably the most effective jump scene ever. I had to pause the movie and go get something to eat after that.
                    I don't mind jump scares when they're done right and actually scare the crap out of you, like this particular one in Sinister did.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by DudeClassicMan View Post
                      Really? Care to name which ones? I hope you don't mean The Thing.....because it doesn't have hawt chicks, dooderz! Total sausage fest! Or something equally moronic. I mean that would be as moronic as claiming the gross fake tits in the Friday the 13th Remake was best nudity EV-VAHR! When everybody knows the eighties movies of that franchise featured much better natural breasts.
                      Once again you look like a moron because I do not give a flying fuck about a movie having a pair of tits or hot chicks in it. Again, can you at least try to look slightly intelligent rather than looking like a complete ass by assuming what I like to see in a horror movie as being the same as other people? Or....continue with it, I like the laughs.

                      I find it amusing that you seriously believe anyone with a differing opinion towards a "classic" is likened to gravitate towards the elements that lessen the effect of an actually effectively scary film. Fantastic.

                      You better not mean The Shining either.
                      Fucking boring, yes. I love Jack Nicholson so when I finally watched it for the first time all the way through I was expecting so much more. Yes, I get it, it's a slow burner that's supposed to be building suspense but it's fucking overrated. The Exorcist, Halloween, Black Christmas, Psycho, etc. were all much more effective in building tension, and they didn't have to waste two & a half fucking hours to do it.

                      Hell, I do believe you're not even allowed to like Lords Of Boredom but then turn around and call The Shining boring. In my humble estimation Lords Of Boredom is basically Rob Zombie failing at making his own personal Shining.
                      It's not a perfect movie, but it's more entertaining than The Shining. Don't be mad because I don't share the same opinion. It just shows how unbelievably ridiculously unintelligent you are that you get ass hurt EVERY TIME I share a differing opinion. Pretty pathetic, actually.

                      And then you insult Zombie as if that's going to hurt MY feelings. Are you fucking five years old?

                      Oy vei, you seem to care way too much about my OPINIONS towards films, which is odd because I don't give a fuck about yours at all.
                      Last edited by Myerszilla; 11-23-2013, 11:58 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Myerszilla View Post
                        Once again you look like a moron
                        Originally posted by Myerszilla View Post
                        Fucking boring, yes. I love Jack Nicholson so when I finally watched it for the first time all the way through I was expecting so much more. Yes, I get it, it's a slow burner that's supposed to be building suspense but it's fucking overrated. The Exorcist, Halloween, Black Christmas, Psycho, etc. were all much more effective in building tension, and they didn't have to waste two & a half fucking hours to do it.


                        Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                        I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
                          Again, it's an opinion. I don't like The Shining, so fucking what? This is probably why nobody really comes to the board anymore. The remaining members are too fucking pretentious to accept a differing opinion & immediately resort to acting as if their ass got ransacked in the process.

                          Amusing yet ultimately pretty fucking sad.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Myerszilla View Post
                            Again, it's an opinion. I don't like The Shining, so fucking what? This is probably why nobody really comes to the board anymore. The remaining members are too fucking pretentious to accept a differing opinion & immediately resort to acting as if their ass got ransacked in the process.

                            Amusing yet ultimately pretty fucking sad.
                            Why are people so defensive lately? If you can't take someone laughing at you for calling a universally regarded classic boring than you shouldn't be on the internet.


                            Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                            I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

                            Comment


                            • However long The Shining was, Lords Of Boredom felt twice as long.

                              Comment


                              • Oh, and just because you don't like something doesn't make it remotely overrated. It makes the knob calling something overrated look like a self-important twit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X