Sinister (2012)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
    There's like 300 million people in the US bro. Stereotypical NRA gun nuts don't make up THAT much of the country.

I know, but in a country where it's easy to buy a gun and lots of people do, why does the threatened family never seem to have one or think to buy one? And yet in zombie films the reverse is true and everyone seems to get their hands on guns quickly.

Actually maybe that's because zombie films are usually about people who've survived the initial chaos...

Originally posted by Se7en View Post
    Just like nice Canadians. We aren't nice.
    Well shit. I guess I won't holiday in Canada after all.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayy View Post
      [YOUTUBE]?v=yuIQDxHJj-M[/YOUTUBE]

Made me jump like hell.

I didn't even clock that this was supposed to make me jump. We'd already seen sveral home movies by this point so as soon as the lawnmower started moving I knew it was going to be used to run over and kill someone.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Invocation View Post
        I know, but in a country where it's easy to buy a gun and lots of people do, why does the threatened family never seem to have one or think to buy one? And yet in zombie films the reverse is true and everyone seems to get their hands on guns quickly.

Actually maybe that's because zombie films are usually about people who've survived the initial chaos...
        Do you really think the character Ethan Hawke plays would own a gun though? He plays the stereotypical sheepish "I have no idea how to handle this situation properly" writer.

I wouldn't own a gun for any reason either. I'd have the common sense to not get involved with all the demon shit in the first place. Boom, problem solved.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
        I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

Do you really think the character Ethan Hawke plays would own a gun though? He plays the stereotypical sheepish "I have no idea how to handle this situation properly" writer.

Okay, I agree with you there. It just annoyed me seeing him walk around with a baseball bat, what use would that be against a serial killer/evil cult. (Although as it turns out even a gun would have been useless against a demon.)

I wouldn't own a gun for any reason either.
          Yeah, I'm just as impractical as Ethan's character (I'm a postgraduate research student) and would probably never own a gun.

I'd have the common sense to not get involved with all the demon shit in the first place. Boom, problem solved.
          That's it really. He shouldn't have moved in to a house where a brutal murder happened. He should have moved out when he found the films (and possibly handed them to the police). He should have moved out as soon as strange things started happening. Why did it take him seeing the creepy children with his own eyes for him to realise he was unsafe? He already had a disturbed child!
          sigpic

Comment

Okay, I agree with you there. It just annoyed me seeing him walk around with a baseball bat, what use would that be against a serial killer/evil cult. (Although as it turns out even a gun would have been useless against a demon.)
            Wouldn't be a horror film if we didn't become infuriated with what the main characters do

Still a solid movie, there were just some cliche face-palm shit that kept it from reaching full potential.

Comment

Wouldn't be a horror film if we didn't become infuriated with what the main characters do

I know, but after Scream and Cabin in the Woods and in the internet age where people tear these films apart I would like to see film makers putting in more effort to avoid this stuff.

That's one of the reasons I loved The Thing; (as far as I remember) the characters behaved realistically.
              sigpic

Comment

• you guys, he was a formerly big-shot writer looking for the next big thing, the big break to revitalize his flagging career. he was gonna put up with anything, risk everyone, and seek no help, except from coolio vincent d'onfrio. i believed ethan hawke's character was arrogant, selfish, and ego maniacal enuf to all of that.

i love this creepy, uncompromising flick, but agree bagul (his name should never beuttered; sounds like bagel) was shown too much at the end. i mean, holy shit, that glimpse in the pool was blood-curdling.

and yeah, "lawn work." classic.

If we suddenly fall should I scream out
                Or keep very quiet and cling to my mouth as I’m crying
                So frightened of dying
                Relax, yes, I’m trying
                But fear's got a hold on me

Comment

I know, but after Scream and Cabin in the Woods and in the internet age where people tear these films apart I would like to see film makers putting in more effort to avoid this stuff.
                  Nah, I think we should stay far away from the self-referential side of horror. Cabin in particular is pretty damn disrespectful to the genre. Feels like it was made for the "too cool for horror" crowd.

Sort of hate Scream for sparking this meta sub-genre to begin with

Originally posted by Invocation View Post
                  That's one of the reasons I loved The Thing; (as far as I remember) the characters behaved realistically.
                  But the characters in Scream and Cabin aren't realistic. They're heightened, self aware versions of cliche horror characters.

Comment

Nah, I think we should stay far away from the self-referential side of horror. Cabin in particular is pretty damn disrespectful to the genre. Feels like it was made for the "too cool for horror" crowd.

But the characters in Scream and Cabin aren't realistic. They're heightened, self aware versions of cliche horror characters.
                    i love scream and cabin, but i agree with your point about cabin. i don't mind the self-referential stuff, though. i actually felt like jason lives had a little of this, and then wes craven's new nightmare even more. we wouldn't have abbott and costello meet frankenstein without this impulse to slef mock just a little bit.

If we suddenly fall should I scream out
                    Or keep very quiet and cling to my mouth as I’m crying
                    So frightened of dying
                    Relax, yes, I’m trying
                    But fear's got a hold on me

Comment

I actually hated Cabin, I found it very tedious. i do like Scream though. I just meant that after seeing everyone cum over how "game changing" Cabin was, simply for pointing out the cliches and common flaws of horror films, which all horror fans are already aware of, I would appreciate it if horror film screenwriters actually started trying to avoid them.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by nancylives! View Post
                        i love scream and cabin, but i agree with your point about cabin. i don't mind the self-referential stuff, though. i actually felt like jason lives had a little of this, and then wes craven's new nightmare even more. we wouldn't have abbott and costello meet frankenstein without this impulse to slef mock just a little bit.
                        I think the best thing about New Nightmare is how it succeeds as a Friday film, a horror film, and as a self-aware exercise that even non-horror fans could appreciate. Second favorite of the franchise by far.

Cabin is the opposite for me. When all of the scares are considered jokes by the characters causing the scares, it gets to the point where it felt like Goddard (spelling?) and Whedon were just seeing who could wink at the audience the hardest during the creative process. When I watch a horror film, I want to be crept out or I want to be taken for some sort of ride. The constant poking at genre contrivances got old fast.

Comment

Working...
                        X