X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berberian Sound Studio (2012)

[YOUTUBE]GlNCiGVQsd0[/YOUTUBE]

Synopsis:
    Set in 1976, Toby Jones plays a documentary sound engineer who finds himself employed by a notorious low-budget Italian horror studio. Uneasy in his new environment and surrounded by a world he finds alien, he throws himself into his work, failing to notice how life is slowly beginning to imitate art.
    I just read about this today and it sounds really interesting. The film is clearly paying homage to the Giallo era. The different plot descriptions I've read also remind me of Brian De Palma's Blow Out and John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns. The film is currently at 81% on Rotten Tomatoes but there are plenty of mixed reviews online. What's really interesting is that some critics are calling it a meta-horror film while others are saying it's simply a film about horror films. Either way, I definitely want to check this out.
    57 Hookers and Counting....

Another synopsis:

Berberian Sound Studio is one of the cheapest, sleaziest post-production studios in Italy. Only the most sordid horror films have their sound processed and sharpened in this studio. Gilderoy (Toby Jones), a shy and nondescript sound engineer from the UK is hired to mix the latest giallo film by horror maestro, Santini (Antonio Mancino) and he soon finds himself caught up in a forbidding world of bitter actors, capricious foley artists and confounding bureaucracy. The longer Gilderoy spends mixing screams and the bloodcurdling sounds of hacked vegetables, the more homesick he becomes for his garden shed studio in Dorking. His motherís letters alternate between banal gossip and an ominous hysteria, which gradually mirrors the black magic of Santiniís film that Gilderoy is responsible for orchestrating. As both time and realities shift, Gilderoy finds himself lost in an otherworldly spiral of sonic and personal mayhem.

Comment

Actually, it sounds pretty interesting. Is it out on dvd yet?
      "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
      H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Originally posted by ladynos View Post
        Actually, it sounds pretty interesting. Is it out on dvd yet?
        I believe it's still playing at film festivals. I'm not even sure if it's had a U.S. release yet.

Comment

Guess I'll have to, hopefully, catch it next year. I'm always looking for different and unusal horror, so thanks for posting about it.
          "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
          H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Originally posted by ladynos View Post
            Guess I'll have to, hopefully, catch it next year. I'm always looking for different and unusal horror, so thanks for posting about it.
            Welcome.

It definitely looks different, which is what interested me in the first place.

I also like the poster homage:

Comment

Here are the opening credits of the film within the film:

[YOUTUBE]39eRkzuo6Os&feature=player_detailpage&list=PL121D0 479C10235D4[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

This looks almost as exciting as watching a radio talkshow host talk about zombies.

Comment

I was going to watch this last night but got put off by bad reviews

Comment

I saw this last night and found a lot to like.

It's easy to see why people find it boring, pretentious and self-indulgent, bit if you allow yourself to get lost in it then there's actually quite a nice claustrophobic story in there.

I really liked the last Lynchian half hour where film and reality became distorted like Inland Empire and the ending was quite haunting as nothing was explained. Toby Jones was also fabulous in the role.

I just wish that it went somewhere more substantial. The film is very slow and it does repeat itself a lot. If it's going to do the whole mental breakdown thing then it should've really gone for it like Black Swan did. Nevertheless, the film snob in me liked it. It's certainly unique. I suppose when you've sit through excruciating films such as, Uzak and Import/Export you can stand anything!

7/10
                    ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
                      I really liked the last Lynchian half hour where film and reality became distorted like Inland Empire and the ending was quite haunting as nothing was explained. Toby Jones was also fabulous in the role.
                      7/10
                      I would definitely use the word "Lynchian" to describe the final half hour. I dug the movie, I liked the repetitious nature of the storytelling. One of my personal favorites of last year.

Comment

The directors newest feature, The Duke of Burgundy draw me into this and I am about to check it out later.
                        Anybody else aside horrorking has seen it?

Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                        Here are the opening credits of the film within the film:

[YOUTUBE]39eRkzuo6Os&feature=player_detailpage&list=PL121D0 479C10235D4[/YOUTUBE]
                        Brilliant intro!
                        Last edited by Santa; 04-15-2015, 06:52 AM.
                        "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                        Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                          The directors newest feature, The Duke of Burgundy draw me into this and I am about to check it out later.
                          It's a very strange and surreal movie that's a love letter to giallo, some people it really captures others it leaves cold.

Comment

Working...
                          X