American Mary (2012)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by black coffee View Post
    I could hardly finish this piece of garbage.
    Originally posted by Santa Sangre View Post
    What was the letdown?
    I would like to know as well. I think it's fantastic.

Great characters, original, well shot, well written and pretty damn creepy. I feel like the last half of the film could have been done better, but it's solid as fuck anyway.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
    I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

I watched this last night and enjoyed it. Although it did make me curious about genital body modification barf!!!! Never again (Just imagine what a slit hot dog looks like after you microwave it)
      "I will do what Queens do. I will rule."

Comment

I really like this movie! I thought it was well written (minus the ending...it kinda pissed me off, but it goes well with the story line). And it was interesting to watch Mary's character develop.

On a side note Mary's wardrobe was awesome, and I kinda want all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by black coffee View Post
          I could hardly finish this piece of garbage.
          I might understand why. Watched it a few days ago and my summary isn't good: the basic idea was great, executing underground surgeries on people with really fucked up ideas in order to "embellish" their bodies. But the execution was gay, plot-holed, illogical and filled with horrid acting - which is always the most awful aspect within a questionable movie. You don't feel sympathy for any person in this, especially not Mary. In the end I wished her the worst.
          Pretty graphic moments though, but that wasn't sufficient enough to make it memorable. All in all forgettable.
          "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
          Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Kind of hard to get excited about this after these reviews.

Comment

Just watched this movie as it was recommended by a friend. Like someone stated earlier the acting was garbage, I thought the storyline was good, but could have been executed way better. Some of the characters in the movie were just plain weird. There was a lot of loopholes in the movie, but it's worthy of a watch if you've got nothing better to do.

4.5/10
              Latest Horror Movies Watched

• La Horde- 6/10
              • The Loved Ones - 8/10
              • American Mary - 4.5/10
              • Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre - 2/10
              • I Spit On Your Grave(2010) - 7.5/10
              • The Human Centipede - 6.5/10
              • Serbian Film - 9/10

Comment

I wasn't to sure about this film because I figured it was a torture film...which it really wasn't and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Katherine Isabelle did a great job and I love that it was directed by twin sisters that really have a love of the genre.

My Pet Zombie Hates Your Guts But Loves Your Brain!!

Special Thanks to H.P. Pufncraft for making you want to click on my brain!!

My Horror Musings with a Psychotic Twist
                Welcome to the Asylum: You Know You're Certifiable

Comment

The the storyline and what not was pretty good, just don't understood the path she took...

Comment

I did not like it, much in fact, it is recognized as a good idea and valued for its effort. Also, it has some details that should be noted about the images and atmosphere.

Unfortunately something is lacking and I feel it failed to show us something, it should have gave a little more realism to the story, or some kind of identity, instead of being so empty at times.

Comment

I'm surprised by the lukewarm reaction to this. I found it surprisingly good. Some flaws here and there, but on a hole very effective. 7/10

They are making See No Evil 2 next? Not the best career choice for a followup.

BTW - It's on Netflix streaming now.

Comment

I thought this was decent. It's a film with something to say and a good premise, just a shame it's direction kinda went askew.

Comment

I was excited to see this movie as I am a big fan of the Ginger Snaps franchise and of Katherine Isabelle, but this movie feels like it was labeled as horror because they didn't know where else to put it. This movie bored me to tears. Everything seemed to happen very quickly, one day she is hesitantly performing a surgery and the next she's queen of this alt-surgery/body modification underground and a murderer. I didn't really buy the path that was taken by Mary.
                          The movie looked nice and it's always nice to see Katherine Isabelle, but this movie was a big disappointment in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by cubbiechris View Post
                            I'm surprised by the lukewarm reaction to this. I found it surprisingly good. Some flaws here and there, but on a hole very effective. 7/10

They are making See No Evil 2 next? Not the best career choice for a followup.

BTW - It's on Netflix streaming now.
                            If they bring half the amount of style & charisma to See No Evil as they did American Mary I'll be happy.

I would have preferred a original follow up, but whatever. If it gets a wide release it will do nothing but good for them.

Comment

I started watching this yesterday on Netflix but had to put it on pause for a time when my toddler wasn't in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by voodoo_dolly View Post
                                I started watching this yesterday on Netflix but had to put it on pause for a time when my toddler wasn't in the room.
                                This is definitely the type of shit that will fuck up your kids dreams for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X