Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mama (2013)

Mama

Starring Jessica Chastain, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, and Megan Charpentier.

Diretor: Andrés Muschietti

Presented by Guillermo Del Toro

Plot

Annabel and Lucas are faced with the challenge of raising his young nieces that were left alone in the forest for 5 years.... but how alone were they?
    Anybody see the trailer? Originally I thought "meh" but apparently this is actually pretty damn good! Its receiving solid reviews at least.

I'm gonna go see this in an hour, why the fuck not?!?!

edit, I LOVE Jessica Chastain and apparently she gives a very very good performance in this film.

Prediction: Really creepy first half. CGI overloaded second half.

Comment

Originally posted by black coffee View Post
      Prediction: Really creepy first half. CGI overloaded second half.
      Yeah. I heard the last 10 minutes are really bizarre.

I'll post my thoughts when I get back! I can catch it for 6 bucks if I go early enough and beat the crowds.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this one. It looks like it could be better than other films of a similar nature.

And, I'm also a huge fan of Chastain. She's the main reason I want to see it.

Comment

This wasn't on my radar at all, but I'll definitely check out anything Del Toro does.

Comment

The trailer looks cool and seems to have some nicely done creepy stuff. No idea how good or not the overall movie is gonna be.
            I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

Comment

Just got back, definitely was better than I had anticipated, especially for a PG-13 affair. Having said that, it being pushed by Guillermo Del Toro probably should have hinted that this wasn't going to be a complete turd. In fact, I would say this is definitely in the same vein as a lot of his work seems to be (fairy-tale, fantasy oriented to an extent).

Not to say that this is some sort of great masterwork, but it was a fun horror movie with some really creepy moments and a surprising finale. They took the premise way further than I thought. Some of it was predictable, up until the last 10 - 15 minutes at least.

One thing that I was surprised didn't piss me off was the CGI. There wasn't nearly as much CGI as I had anticipated, and probably 90% of it was used rather tastefully. There was only 2 or 3 moments that I actually was bothered by the effects. Most of it was dark enough or detailed enough to be effective.

[SPOILER]Some of the shots of Mama were a bit too long, though. Some of the extended shots of her CGI character showed the seems, but honestly I was surprised with how much I wasn't bothered by the effects. Mama was ultimately a very creepy character who looked pretty cool. Her hair and hands were actually creepy and looked real.[/SPOILER]

Most of the characters were stock for this type of story, with Jessica Chastain's character, Annabel, being an exception. She evolves and has some depth throughout the film. The kids were pretty good too.

I'm sure some people are going to hate how it ends, the audience I saw it with didn't seem to like the kind of bizarre ending (I did).

Overall, despite it being slow near the beginning, featuring a few stock characters, and having just a few effects shot I didn't like, I thought this was actually pretty entertaining. I was creeped out multiple times, there were some good jump scares (not over-done), and some interesting plot twists and some menacing imagery.

The first pleasant surprise of the year for me.

7.5/10

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Coffee View Post
                This wasn't on my radar at all, but I'll definitely check out anything Del Toro does.
                He's just presenting, so I wouldn't get too excited.

My DVD's/Blu's

Comment

Have to work this wkend, but really hoping to see this Sunday. Thanks for the review.
                  "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
                  H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

This looks good. I look forward to seeing it.....

Comment

This looks awesome! Hopefully the story line doesn't fall to the way side with all the CGI. Creepy kids who live in the woods reminds me of one of Grims Fairytales (which is a win in my book).

Comment

When I saw the trailer for this in the theater I instantly thought of 1994's Nell looks good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy_Lives View Post
                          When I saw the trailer for this in the theater I instantly thought of 1994's Nell looks good though.
                          Taaayy in the wiiinn

Comment

Haven't seen this yet but I definitely want to. I remember seeing the name of the film & not being too impressed. Then I saw the trailer & it just gave me that "holy fuck! I have to see this" vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoggoth View Post
                              Taaayy in the wiiinn

Comment

Working...
                              X