No announcement yet.

You're Next (2013)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the early reviews are saying this is a superior Home Invasion horror, I'm pretty excited and will check it out it when it's released. Fingers crossed this delivers as it's looking a decent year for horror.

Comment

I enjoyed The Strangers and this looks to be in the same vain, ill defo check it out at some point. Probably on DVD most likely, i dont pay to see many movies these days unless im really crazy about them.
      Check out my movie Blog http://wildcinemamoviereviews.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Trailer didn't do a whole lot for me, but there seems to be some buzz about the movie. Don't know about seeing it at the theater, but definitely on DVD.

Comment

I got 2 AMC free passes i got from frozen pizzas. I gotta use them by the end of the month. Think i am gonna check this and Kick-Ass 2 out

Comment

Sorry about my earlier thread. I couldn't find this one.
            ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

I feel bad for not getting the free time to go out and see The Conjuring, and Pacific Rim, so I'm definitely gonna try my hardest to go see this, since I was anticipating it anyways.

Though home invasion has to be my least favorite horror subgenre.

Comment

Seems like a shitty attempt at reviving/re-imaging the heroine character. Despite early reviews, Strangers will most likely be superior to this film in every way possible.

Comment

Strangers will most likely be superior to this film in every way possible.

You're [SPOILER]wrong.[/SPOILER]

inhale

exhale

Comment

I thought The Strangers was complete ass, and that this movie will kick it's ass all over the place.

Anyway, I was looking at movie listings in my town for Friday when I noticed this...

"You're Next new!
                    NR , 1 hr 34 min"

Did this somehow get released to theaters unrated? Other R rated movies listed say they're rated R, so this confused me.

Comment

Going to check this out tonight at 10 pm. Hope it's good.
                      “I know you’re ‘good’ people. I know you mean well… But you just didn’t think it through…. There is only one path to peace… Your extermination.” - Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Comment

Just got back from seeing this with my girlfriend. We both pretty much agreed the sum didn't equal it's parts which is a bummer. I suppose it wasn't what we expected. Full spoiler review below.

[SPOILER]Looking at the trailers and reading the synopsis you'd think this would be like the strangers but more violent. Couple of lunatics target a group of people for no apparent reason throughout the night. Plus the addition of someone having a secret. Sounds refreshing right? Good reviews everywhere and while the first half is pretty damn good and intense as a mixture of say, "The Strangers" and "Halloween" type suspense "You're Next" goes down hill in the second half turning into a mix of thriller and comedy.

After a relatively safe opening couple of kills to set the mood we meet each and every one if our soon to be victims and you can tell this family is full of friction. Some eeriness here and there to keep us wondering when it's all going down. Dinner scene comes and it's pretty damn good as the lunatics are constantly attacking them every chance they get. The kills especially with the mom and oldest brothers daughter are brutal and gory. You can these guys are crazy and won't stop till everyone is dead.

But... once the twist of the killers intentions, the family secret and what type of person our lead is it nosedives and turns damn near into a bloody Home Alone. Any and all scariness the animal guys had is crumpled up and thrown away as they're pretty much killers for hire. They turn from the three Michael Myers/Strangers and into complete dumbasses falling for everything and are pretty much begging to be killed by our lead. By this point even though she's wounded two killers plus the two family members who are in on everything are no threat whatsoever being taken out with no sweat. The ending was nothing special, just okay.

You're Next was one of my most anticipated movies this year as it looked like a damn good home invasion horror movie, maybe the most intense movie of the year. And while the first half is really good the second half felt like a whole other movie and didn't live up to the first. Hopefully Insidious: Chapter 2 isn't as disappointing. A 6.5/10 [/SPOILER]
                        “I know you’re ‘good’ people. I know you mean well… But you just didn’t think it through…. There is only one path to peace… Your extermination.” - Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Comment

It would have been better if the main chick started setting traps earlier. Too much setup of...nothing, for the first 30-40 minutes.

The motive was weak too. They mentioned the dad was a defense contractor at the beginning. Maybe they could have had the twist have something to do with that.
                          A prohibitionist is the sort of man one couldn't care to drink with, even if he drank.
                          H. L. Mencken

Comment

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I mean, it doesn't redefine horror as we know it, but it was very fun, if predictable. I do agree that the "Animals" could have been utilized more effectively, but I did enjoy the infusion of splatter and humor elements. Not earth shattering, but get some friends, have a few beers, and go see it for a messy good time!
                            "The process of delving into the black abyss is, to me, the keenest form of fascination.... I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars.... I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness."
                            -HP Lovecraft

Comment

Originally posted by Timvp View Post
                              Just got back from seeing this with my girlfriend. We both pretty much agreed the sum didn't equal it's parts which is a bummer. I suppose it wasn't what we expected. Full spoiler review below.

[SPOILER]Looking at the trailers and reading the synopsis you'd think this would be like the strangers but more violent. Couple of lunatics target a group of people for no apparent reason throughout the night. Plus the addition of someone having a secret. Sounds refreshing right? Good reviews everywhere and while the first half is pretty damn good and intense as a mixture of say, "The Strangers" and "Halloween" type suspense "You're Next" goes down hill in the second half turning into a mix of thriller and comedy.

After a relatively safe opening couple of kills to set the mood we meet each and every one if our soon to be victims and you can tell this family is full of friction. Some eeriness here and there to keep us wondering when it's all going down. Dinner scene comes and it's pretty damn good as the lunatics are constantly attacking them every chance they get. The kills especially with the mom and oldest brothers daughter are brutal and gory. You can these guys are crazy and won't stop till everyone is dead.

But... once the twist of the killers intentions, the family secret and what type of person our lead is it nosedives and turns damn near into a bloody Home Alone. Any and all scariness the animal guys had is crumpled up and thrown away as they're pretty much killers for hire. They turn from the three Michael Myers/Strangers and into complete dumbasses falling for everything and are pretty much begging to be killed by our lead. By this point even though she's wounded two killers plus the two family members who are in on everything are no threat whatsoever being taken out with no sweat. The ending was nothing special, just okay.

You're Next was one of my most anticipated movies this year as it looked like a damn good home invasion horror movie, maybe the most intense movie of the year. And while the first half is really good the second half felt like a whole other movie and didn't live up to the first. Hopefully Insidious: Chapter 2 isn't as disappointing. A 6.5/10 [/SPOILER]
                              All your "disappointing spoilers" are the reasons why I liked the film. It kept switching gears and I enjoyed that. It was refreshing. The energy was on point and it was just loads of fun. As far home invasion goes it's hard to top The Strangers, so I'm glad it was a totally different movie then what we are used to. Cliche it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by cubbiechris View Post
                                All your "disappointing spoilers" are the reasons why I liked the film. It kept switching gears and I enjoyed that. It was refreshing. The energy was on point and it was just loads of fun. As far home invasion goes it's hard to top The Strangers, so I'm glad it was a totally different movie then what we are used to. Cliche it isn't.
                                I'm all for switching up the formula in these movies but I guess the pay off from it didnt do much for me. I was all fine with everything but wound up feeling bored towards the end of it with there being little to no threat to [SPOILER]Erin[/SPOILERS]. Ill give it another watch to see if I like it a little more.
                                Chris did you feel the synth/"Drive"-like music felt out of place at times?
                                On another note I'm stunned that it's at 7th place.

Comment

Working...
                                X