The Purge (2013)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

probably gonna be just another by-the-numbers home invasion flick which will start off with a 60 second intro about the "purge" which will really offer nothing to the rest of the film. Hope I'm wrong, but if I'm saving up my pennies I can think of alot of other films I'd rather see this summer than this. (Your Next comes to mind)

Comment

Originally posted by luke ramer View Post
        probably gonna be just another by-the-numbers home invasion flick which will start off with a 60 second intro about the "purge" which will really offer nothing to the rest of the film. Hope I'm wrong, but if I'm saving up my pennies I can think of alot of other films I'd rather see this summer than this. (Your Next comes to mind)
        I think this'll be a nice warm-up to You're Next!
        ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

Just got back from this and overall I would say it is GOOD. The concept of the purge as a "national event" is used throughout so it stops the home invasion angle from feeling too samey and it makes the build up interesting.

Although it has a level of depth and intelligence it could have been better as the direction was to simply deliver the goods. The visuals were standard and slick as you expect from platinum dunes rather than being different and provocative to explore the concept more.

I was also disappointed when all hell breaks loose, rather than being tense and violent like say Straw Dogs it was very Actiony with guns instead.

I'd give it 7/10 good but could have been better imo.

Comment

My expectations aren't as high as they were a few weeks ago after reading some of the "so-so" reception. Still, I'll be there on Friday hoping to at least be entertained.

Comment

I'll wait for this one. They're selling it as straight-up horror, not action.

Comment

I'll be seeing this one tonight! Very excited, I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Comment

Like the trailer but may wait for the DVD to come out. Think I read it's only 86 minutes which is kind of a bummer when you take in account movie ticket prices anymore. Although if it's a killer 86 minutes it would be well worth the money. May go out and catch it but undecided
                  Sometimes, you just have to be offensive to offensive people - Max Nofziger

Comment

I can't post my review in the normal place for some reason so I'll put it here. Not that anyone will probably ever read it!

I may be a little bit biased in this review, because I am a horror nut who has a passion for the home invasion sub-genre. I find these films very tense, involving and thought-provoking because it could happen to anyone. Yes, it could happen to YOU! So when I saw the trailer for The Purge which seemingly burst out of nowhere I was incredibly excited! Firstly, the concept is highly original and very interesting. It's an idea I've never come across before. People have expressed concern about the annual purge just being a set-up for a home invasion movie, but the idea is extremely relevant throughout and serves to make the film even for thought-provoking. Whilst the idea, if it were really carried out, is totally bonkers and dumb, the film convincingly shows it as a good and helpful tool in helping the country that God really loves!

People have also expressed concern about the film showing no other purge-related events outside the Sandlin family's attack. Well here I'm going to have to disappoint you, because apart from some CCTV footage for the opening credits to play over, you don't get to see very much else at all. However, I am actually very for this decision because it makes the film much more focused and makes the audience involved with the characters, so when the attack finally does arrive, it makes everything that much more intense. It's very hard to balance a film if its concentrated in several areas, and I think it would've been a bit messy. Sorry if you wanted to see more purge action though. Perhaps they will in the sequel.

The lead up to the purge is done brilliantly. There's a great sense of anticipation and fear as we wait for the sirens to commence the purge. I also liked the emergency broadcast, which played out rather realistically. In fact, once the purge begins the film doesn't really stop being a tense and marvellously entertaining thrill ride. Some people say that the film isn't horror because they use guns. I'm sure if they didn't use guns people would be moaning about how it wasn't realistic because they didn't use guns! OK I admit guns were over-used because the horror hound inside me would've preferred some more decapitations with the axe and machete, but do not worry because they are still there! The film first and foremost is horror. You can't deny the creepiness of when the masked folk arrive, along with Rhys Wakefield's 'Polite Stranger'.

Also, the masks themselves are brilliant! They have a creepy Strangers-esque vibe to them, and certainly set the horror tone. I've never seen or heard of Rhys Wakefield in anything else before, but the former Home and Away actor puts on an extraordinarily creepy performance, evoking Michael Pitt from Funny Games US. He has a seriously scary smirk that reminded me of Heath Ledger's legendary Joker. Rhys Wakefield could've made an even more memorable villain if he was in it more. Although, he completely stole all of the scenes he was in, I would've loved to have seen him play a bigger role with more screen time.

The film isn't shy of throwing up moral dilemmas. It had my brain jogging about what I would in the situation, and we see a lot of interestingly dislikeable sides to Ethan Hawke's smug security expert, which isn't even strong enough to protect his own house! The final 30 minutes or so are incredibly entertaining. It's never short of a tense thrill and there is also one stand-out fight sequence that put a sadistic smile on my face (don't worry, I'm quite normal really). A nice surprising twist tops everything off and by the end of it you really do feel like you've been through quite an ordeal.

The Purge offers a creepy, thrilling and innovative slice of home invasion. Whilst obviously not as amazing as Inside, or even Funny Games and the remake of Mother's Day, I think I enjoyed it more than The Strangers and to compare it to a more recent horror film, I liked it about as much (or maybe ever so slightly less) than Evil Dead. The Purge certainly doesn't deserve the knocks it has been getting from a lot of people. I do think it could've been longer as I couldn't get enough of the action-packed finale, which surely isn't a bad thing is it? I enjoyed it a lot and I think a lot of horror fans are going to enjoy it too. It's an under-valued film with a fantastically original concept, which deserves more views!

Needless to say I liked it!
                    8/10

Comment

^^^ I agree with most of that HorrorKing.

I expressed annoyance at the use of guns because the fear of home invasion is primitive so would have preferred more barbaric violence that would amp up the horror. The film is about America though so it makes sense to reflect on the gun culture although its just a tad too "actiony" for my liking.

I thought the idea of the Purge as a national event played out well and the sequel potential is huge.

2 further gripes I have:

[SPOILER]The bad guy was great, very creepy and naturally dis-likeable. BUT he was utterly wasted with a pointless and forgettable death that came too soon. Huge waste of potential.

The boyfriend should have been developed more, I guess he was used to show the audience "it's purge time" but to be killed so easily and left at that is a misuse. Even if they used his corpse for a scare or something later on it would have added a bit more mileage.[/SPOILER]

Overall though the film delivers and is enjoyable. I gave it 7/10.

Comment

Hated it. It WOULD of had a lot of potential if it didnt go completely downhill 10 minutes into it and that you can see everything coming a mile away.

Spoilers- [spoiler]
                        It goes downhill when Ethan Hawks son(is say like a 12 year old) sees a homeless guy running down the street at the front of the house that was beaten...he lets him in the house. Thats one of the stupid things they do in it.

The end twist to it, if you call it that, is the neighbors come in and kill the people with the masks....but, they try to kill the family. The homeless guy and the mom and kids could have killed them, but they end up sitting at the table with the neighbors to wait the purge time out. [/spoiler]

Comment

16.7 million opening day at the box office.

The movie was good, but could've been more. I hear a sequel is already greenlit.... should be interesting to see where that goes using this concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post
                            16.7 million opening day at the box office.

The movie was good, but could've been more. I hear a sequel is already greenlit.... should be interesting to see where that goes using this concept.
                            holy fuck!

That's a pretty huge opening for a movie like this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                              holy fuck!

That's a pretty huge opening for a movie like this.
                              On a 3 million dollar budget too.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post
                                On a 3 million dollar budget too.
                                I was reading about the "Blumhouse Production" company that made this film... they also did Dark Skies and are working on more high profile releases such as this. It looks like their mission is to make movies that "look" like they have bigger budgets with notable actors and more A-list sensibilities while keeping the cost down. I think this is great... instead of shoving tens of millions into more creatively small and "indie" films, they'll be modest in budget without surrendering any of the talent or artistry that goes into a more intimate horror film.

I definitely want to see the Purge. I'm not expecting anything outside of an interesting invasion movie with great suspense and plenty of thrills.

Comment

Working...
                                X