• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah im in the UK

No not at Uni at College - Plymouth College Of Art And Design to be precise

Comment

Great thread!

You're absolutely correct...I did say I'd never shoot on film again...It's expensive, WAY to delicate, I don't like waiting for a lab to "get it right"-if they fuck it up, which even the best labs can do, you're fucked because they don't reimburse you...

Digital is way more suitable for indipendent films anyway...

I spent $4,000 on my Canon XL2 and I plan on shooting on it until I can afford an HD camera (which at this rate is about a week from never)...

I'm happy with the results...Color correction and such can really change the look of your film...

I watched The Darkness Before The Dawn on a screen yesterday and it was a great feeling and it actually looked better...Plus, the sound sounded much better on a bigger system...

For my next film I am going to try and have the sound mixed by someone who actually knows what they're doing...

I just found a GREAT location and now have access to some better equipment such as jibs and such. Can't wait.

It's totally different than my last 2 and I think it will surprise some of you...

Comment

Originally posted by Stument View Post
        Yeah im in the UK

No not at Uni at College - Plymouth College Of Art And Design to be precise
        Cool I'm guessing your main focus is editing?

Comment

All the way, i really enjoy editing. I just like making something so crapply shot/directed look good.

Just something i have always had an interest in. Yes i enjoy filming, writing, coming up with the idea's but really prefer the whole editing side.

Comment

Originally posted by N2NOther View Post
            Great thread!

You're absolutely correct...I did say I'd never shoot on film again...It's expensive, WAY to delicate, I don't like waiting for a lab to "get it right"-if they fuck it up, which even the best labs can do, you're fucked because they don't reimburse you...
            Yeah that sounds really off putting to me. Unless someone else would be willing to put up the cash for me to shoot on film I think I'll stay clear, digital seems far easier for editing purposes.

I spent $4,000 on my Canon XL2 and I plan on shooting on it until I can afford an HD camera (which at this rate is about a week from never)...
            Whats the main differences between the Canon XL2 and the XL1s? My budget for a camera will be pretty small so I may have to go with the XL1s. 28 Days Later was shot on the XL-1 so I guess that's good enough for me, some of that looked great, especially the shots entering the church near the beginning.

I'm happy with the results...Color correction and such can really change the look of your film...
            If all goes well with the short I'm planning I'm going to give it a faux 3 Strip Technicolor look. It'll help it stand out from most of the grimy looking horrors. It's always looked amazing from me, from The Wizard of Oz to Suspiria.

It's totally different than my last 2 and I think it will surprise some of you...
            Still horror?

Comment

Originally posted by depecheanix View Post
              Whats the main differences between the Canon XL2 and the XL1s? My budget for a camera will be pretty small so I may have to go with the XL1s. 28 Days Later was shot on the XL-1 so I guess that's good enough for me, some of that looked great, especially the shots entering the church near the beginning.
              I own a Canon XL-1, i don't know the difference between the XL1 and XL2 but its sure is a good camera to film with, sound quality is really incredible, picture quality is pretty basic 3CCD but it still got a nice edge to it.

Have only shot ONCE with it (The Mad Hatter), and havnt had it longer than 2 months, so still getting to grips with how it works and what does what.

Comment

All the way, i really enjoy editing. I just like making something so crapply shot/directed look good.

Just something i have always had an interest in. Yes i enjoy filming, writing, coming up with the idea's but really prefer the whole editing side.
                Yeah it definitely shows, after watching Goodfella's again last night it really made me realize how much of a difference editing makes, especially the last quarter.

Someone else on here does editing as an actual job (Who'sLaughingNow), he edits promos I think. He hasn't logged on in a while though.

I actually despise the Saw editing style but you pulled it off to a T. Just don't use it if you make a full film like that, Saw's editing puts me in to a rage induced fit.

Comment

I actually despise the Saw editing style but you pulled it off to a T. Just don't use it if you make a full film like that, Saw's editing puts me in to a rage induced fit.
                  haha, will keep that in mind. I know a lot of people dislike the SAW editing, its just so easy to do and gives it a weird effect/atmoshpere of a really uncomfortable feel.

I don't plan on using it again in anything new i create.

I hope to make a new piece soon, A lot like the Captain Spaulding Adverts in 1000 corpses and Devils Reject. i just cant find anyone to help me film.

Comment

haha, will keep that in mind. I know a lot of people dislike the SAW editing, its just so easy to do and gives it a weird effect/atmoshpere of a really uncomfortable feel.

I don't plan on using it again in anything new i create.

I hope to make a new piece soon, A lot like the Captain Spaulding Adverts in 1000 corpses and Devils Reject. i just cant find anyone to help me film.
                    I just feel like the Saw editing destroys all tension and by the end of the first film I was fed up with it because it got reused so much. So you can guess how I felt about it by the end of the third film.

You got it spot on though so it was worth doing just to see how it's done, it's all experience.

If I lived any closer you'd have some help

Comment

N2NOther Nice short! Wouldn't call it Short (14min) haha but its pretty sweet.

Really like the title effects you used at the beginning of the video, After Effects Job?

The acting is a little ruff, but the way you have shot the piece is very very nice. Your lighting as well is perfect!

Not to sure but did you use any kind of filters while filming?? It has a really nice tone to it.

The sound quality is very good for a film, filmed mainly outside, did you use your Canon XL2 on board sound? (If u filmed this with the XL2 that is)

All round very nice, slow paced could have done with a bit more action/movement here and there but was very well edited and shot.

Comment

That's nice! Really puts you into a set filmic world and you're right, it'll stand out big time. Good work.
                        Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferatuscreams View Post
                          That's nice! Really puts you into a set filmic world and you're right, it'll stand out big time. Good work.
                          Oh no! I didn't make that, that's just an example of the faux Technicolor process that I'll be using for my short.

Comment

Oh ok, still a nice idea, I might even fiddle with it.
                            Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Okay, so what's the best computer-based program to edit scenes together?

Comment

Originally posted by Dobe Dobe View Post
                                Okay, so what's the best computer-based program to edit scenes together?
                                For me its Premiere Pro 1.5 and 2.0 Also Sony Vega 6

But thats only because i know them pretty much inside out, and find them really easy to use.

I have tried a lot of other programs but they just don't have the same easy feel as Vegas or premiere.

There are defiantly a lot better programs than them i just couldn't get use to a switch just yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X