This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever made a gory splatter?

I'm good friends with a local metal band and we might go for a 8-12 min long videoclip that turns out to be a splatter flick.

Depending on the cost, we might have to look for sponsors. In order to receive any money, we need to do a cost estimation first.

What do y'all reckon, how much money does it need to create a 8-12 min long gory flick?

We only have a film crew, actors and locations so far. Most money will be eaten up by blood, make up, puppets and models etc.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Comment

• Your post doesn't have much in the way of specifics. I am currently producing a horror movie and I can offer you some info based on the budget I have put together.

Blackmagic Cinema Rental
      $700 (3 weeks) + $109 for insurance+ $28.80 (shipping)
      To use this you'd need to rent an anton bauer battery and a mounting plate.
      $215 (3 weeks)+ $6 for insurance + $23.80 (shipping)

You'd also need to invest in SSD cards which are pricey, but could be resold for close to value (maybe could be rented).
      $146 minimum
      Special Effects $1000
      Contact lenses x2 $180
      Fake blood x4 $60
      Dead cat $50
      Liquid latex $100
      Effects artists $200
      Makeup $120
      Assorted appliances $120
      Carpet $90
      Additional $200 for unforeseen costs
      Wardrobe $300
      Lighting $100
      Sound $400
      Security for Day 5 $100
      Camera Operator $700
      Administrative Costs $200
      Locations Fees $500

Also, I'd like to suggest that you use people around you as much as possible. In my experience, passionate amateurs are about as good as pros that will work for very little money.

With actors, I'd go on line and find wannabes that will work for next to nothing because they want to put a reel together.

If you do this, the bulk of your money can be spent on renting top of the line equipment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dylang51 View Post
        Your post doesn't have much in the way of specifics. I am currently producing a horror movie and I can offer you some info based on the budget I have put together.

Blackmagic Cinema Rental

You'd also need to invest in SSD cards which are pricey, but could be resold for close to value (maybe could be rented).
        $146 minimum
        Special Effects $1000
        Contact lenses x2 $180
        Fake blood x4 $60
        Dead cat $50
        Liquid latex $100
        Effects artists $200
        Makeup $120
        Assorted appliances $120
        Carpet $90
        Wardrobe $300
        Lighting $100
        Sound $400
        Security for Day 5 $100
        Camera Operator $700
        Locations Fees $500

Also, I'd like to suggest that you use people around you as much as possible. In my experience, passionate amateurs are about as good as pros that will work for very little money.

With actors, I'd go on line and find wannabes that will work for next to nothing because they want to put a reel together.

If you do this, the bulk of your money can be spent on renting top of the line equipment.
        I think you are way overestimating the potential budget here. The flick I just made is 11 minutes, contains some decent gore, and was done for less than a couple hundred bucks. Granted, the actors, fx artist and cameraman were friends who knew their trades well and were willing to do it for free, but even still that budget sounds steep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dylang51 View Post
          Your post doesn't have much in the way of specifics. I am currently producing a horror movie and I can offer you some info based on the budget I have put together.

Blackmagic Cinema Rental

$146 minimum
          Special Effects $1000
          Contact lenses x2 $180
          Fake blood x4 $60
          Dead cat $50
          Liquid latex $100
          Effects artists $200
          Makeup $120
          Assorted appliances $120
          Carpet $90
          Wardrobe $300
          Lighting $100
          Sound $400
          Security for Day 5 $100
          Camera Operator $700
          Locations Fees $500

That's if you're going to do it legit with a full on functioning crew and it sounds almost union-like. Hell, I could do a gore film, easily, here in LA for less than half that. Also, Black magic? At least recommend the new one. He's probably shooting low budget, so a DSLR would be great, since he's probably working with little in the way of lighting and DSLRs still do a better job low light than most high end cameras. There's a lot that goes into it, but unless we knew the details we couldn't give him a proper breakdown. Also, Switzerland might be very different in how their pricing breaks down.
          Assassins"Official Facebook Page"

Check out my NEW official website HERE.

Comment

• I wish I was able to make a film. I have a great idea for a found footage style film and an excellent location to shoot it but no one else seems interested in participating.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frey View Post
              I wish I was able to make a film. I have a great idea for a found footage style film and an excellent location to shoot it but no one else seems interested in participating.
              You have an idea or you have a script? Most people don't get excited unless they see you've taken the time to write the script, rewrite the script, get feedback, rewrite the script again, then put together a shot list and storyboard. Then they'll know that you're serious. Prep goes a long way to getting people on board. Also, in Virginia there's a small film community. You'll probably have to pay to get people to work on your film. Just my two cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeBonomo View Post
                You have an idea or you have a script? Most people don't get excited unless they see you've taken the time to write the script, rewrite the script, get feedback, rewrite the script again, then put together a shot list and storyboard. Then they'll know that you're serious. Prep goes a long way to getting people on board. Also, in Virginia there's a small film community. You'll probably have to pay to get people to work on your film. Just my two cents.
                Thanks for the tip but I am in no financial shape to even think about making a film at the moment. My girlfriend is getting ready to transfer to a university to go for her PhD in psychology and we have a 16 month old baby so things are pretty crazy right now financially.

Comment

• Originally posted by Frey View Post
                  Thanks for the tip but I am in no financial shape to even think about making a film at the moment. My girlfriend is getting ready to transfer to a university to go for her PhD in psychology and we have a 16 month old baby so things are pretty crazy right now financially.
                  Totally understand. Maybe you should hold off on your project and just write up a quicky short for practice that you can do with no budget. My first three shorts cost a total of $400. None are good, but they were practice and I learned a lot. Also, it costs nothing to write a script. It's the most important part of the process. So, taking as long as you want costs nothing financially and you can slide in 15 minutes here and there to work on it.

Comment

• My lead actor offers some advice to up-and-coming actors.

[YOUTUBE]9uR8PLn6d1I#![/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• Any filmmakers out there have any opinions on the upcoming BM cameras, or have used the last iteration? I'm intrigued and it would save me a ton of money from having to use a RED all the time.

Comment

• REPOST: Motion Comic- A Sin City Tale "Daddys little Girl"

(repost cause i was not sure if the other thread was the right one for it)

i dont know if the post is soo bloody disgusting but i did it and i hope you will check it out and enjoy it still.

it´s one of my first tryouts to do a motion comic so let me have a comment if you liked it or not.

the comic choosen was : Frank Miller- A Sin City Tale "Daddy´s little Girl"

[YOUTUBE]A3rjVKlWPwY[/YOUTUBE]

If you like it, share it! ^^

(more motion comics on my page and new stuff is coming, soon.)

Comment

• Didn't want to make a separate thread to whore this out, but while I've been working on post on Assassins, I was hired to direct a four-episode web series comedy. Yes, something I know very little about. So, if you're interested to see something completely different, follow us at our Facebook page.

A little about the series:
                          The road to Rock 'n Roll fame and fortune can look pretty bleak from the stock room of a suburban guitar store, but that doesn't keep lovable losers, Stuart and Finn, from giving it their all.

Our first episode launches on Aug. 5th!

Comment

• Great thread. We're working on a horror anthology as I write this. We're only in the preproduction stage but it will be a down and dirty horror flick. We're shooting on a black magic camera. I am thinking of picking up a second black magic pocket with the price drop which just happened.
                            The next step in horror is coming!

Comment

• My crazy cheap badly edited Halloween 2014 short

That's right, had to do one. A cheap short that was done in a matter of two days, so I apologize ahead of time for the poor editing, and bad choices on many elements.

The movie is a cheap haunting thrill and my character is a Douchebag. So there you go, enjoy the weird show !!! And Happy Halloween 2014!!!!

[YOUTUBE]?v=J3wPYfpsBhU&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• Originally posted by Shinobi37 View Post
                                That's right, had to do one. A cheap short that was done in a matter of two days, so I apologize ahead of time for the poor editing, and bad choices on many elements.

The movie is a cheap haunting thrill and my character is a Douchebag. So there you go, enjoy the weird show !!! And Happy Halloween 2014!!!!

[YOUTUBE]?v=J3wPYfpsBhU&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
                                If you were too drunk last night for the late time post up for Halloween 2014, then check me out again. This is a shameless bump, I will not do too many of these, once & awhile. Crappy movie short time, no ?

Comment

Working...
                                X