Connect with us

Movies

‘Scary Movie’s’ Deputy Doofy Shares Awesome Pitch for Spin-Off to Mega-Hit ‘Scream’ Parody

Published

on

It’s been twenty years(!) since the Wayans brothers took a stab at spoofing Wes Craven’s Scream with their mega-hit Scary Movie, which spawned several (terrible) sequels over the years.

The film had its own twist ending, parodying the shocking final moments of The Usual Suspects, in which the character of Doofy shakes off his limp and rips off his mustache, revealing that he’s been putting on an act the entire time.

Dave Sheridan, who stole the show as Deputy Doofy, shares with The Production Meeting his own incredible idea for a spin-off.

“It could be a really funny but captivating tale about ‘Who is Doofy?’ and really, ‘Who is the guy that plays Doofy?’ — because at the end [of the film], I take the mustache off and my hair’s slicked back, and I tear off the shirt, and I’m a good looking guy.”

As explained/transcribed by Moviehole, in the new film or series, he’d reprise the latter role, the character now “a high profile serial killer in a plexiglass holding cell” and then a ‘Clarice Starling’-style agent would come to talk to about other killings to seek his assistance.

Having an older Sheridan turn in a Hannibal Lecter-esque performance from a Silence of the Lambs setting is brilliant, really.

Sheridan adds to the pitch, noting that it would be anthology-style and he could play the killer in all of the shorts. “It would be like an anthology. They would all be à la carte serial killer shorts. That could be cast with a lot of comedic actors. I think it would also fall into the realm of spoofs – recent ones that haven’t been done yet like [Halloween] and Annabelle.”

What do you all think? Would you want to see this Scary Movie spin-off? Maybe with the next Scream on the way in 2022, it opens the door for this franchise revival as well?

RELATED: Scary Movie May Be Outdated But It’s Still Pretty Damn Funny

Scary Movie was directed by Keenon Ivory Wayans and also starred Anna Faris, Marlon Wayans, Shawn Wayans and Regina Hall.

Horror movie fanatic who co-founded Bloody Disgusting in 2001. Producer on Southbound, V/H/S/2/3/94, SiREN, Under the Bed, and A Horrible Way to Die. Chicago-based. Horror, pizza and basketball connoisseur. Taco Bell daily. Franchise favs: Hellraiser, Child's Play, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Scream and Friday the 13th. Horror 365 days a year.

Movies

‘Drop’ – Violett Beane Joins the Cast of Christopher Landon’s New Thriller

Published

on

Pictured: Violett Beane in 'Death and Other Details' (2024)

Christopher Landon (Happy Death Day, Freaky) is staying busy here in 2024, directing not only the werewolf movie Big Bad but also an upcoming thriller titled Drop.

The project for Blumhouse and Platinum Dunes is being described as a “fast-paced thriller,” and Deadline reports today that Violett Beane (Truth or Dare) has joined the cast.

Newcomer Jacob Robinson has also signed on to star in the mysterious thriller. Previously announced, Meghann Fahy (“White Lotus”) will be leading the cast.

Landon recently teased on Twitter, “This is my love letter to DePalma.”

Jillian Jacobs and Chris Roach wrote the script.

Michael Bay, Jason Blum, Brad Fuller and Cameron Fuller — “who brought the script in to Platinum Dunes” — are producing the upcoming Drop. Sam Lerner is an executive producer.

THR notes, “The film is a Platinum Dunes and Blumhouse production for Universal.”

Continue Reading