This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mistermonster View Post
    Fuck blu ray. im so sick of hearing about this garbage. ive watched blu ray movies on hd tvs and i coulddnt tell the difference between that and a dvd. Nothing special. And "blu ray" is a very stupid name. Im so sick of this hi def bullshit. Its like you have to get a good blu ray player, you have to not only have a new hi def tv but you have to have it be 1080p, you have to have the special cord, the movie has to be shot with digital hi def cameras. Its bullshit dont be suckered into this.
    Well in a few years DVDs are going bye-bye, so you will have to embrace it sooner or later. Blu Rays flix do look much better man. The upconvert is sexy...I compaired iron man and there was a difference between the Blu Ray and the DVD. The Blu ray had a sharper picture, brighter colors, and a better sound quality. One of the most drastic transfers i have seen is Coming to America...the picture is just so clear compaired to the DVD.

Got Pans Labyrinth today...
    My Movies
    +21 BRONZE TRADER

Comment

Yea, Zodiac was the first movie to be shot on digital in 1080P so the transfer is supposed to be fucking pristine.

Comment

Originally posted by mistermonster View Post
        Fuck blu ray. im so sick of hearing about this garbage. ive watched blu ray movies on hd tvs and i coulddnt tell the difference between that and a dvd. Nothing special. And "blu ray" is a very stupid name. Im so sick of this hi def bullshit. Its like you have to get a good blu ray player, you have to not only have a new hi def tv but you have to have it be 1080p, you have to have the special cord, the movie has to be shot with digital hi def cameras. Its bullshit dont be suckered into this.
        Get some glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Williams View Post
          Got Pans Labyrinth today...
          How is the transfer? It's one of the few DVDs that I already own that I would like to upgrade to blu.
          Cat in the Brain: ***
          Jack Brooks Monster Slayer: ***
          Into the Wild: ****
          Observe and Report: **
          Vampyr (1931): ****

Comment

Originally posted by SaoCole View Post
            How is the transfer? It's one of the few DVDs that I already own that I would like to upgrade to blu.
            I will let you know...im at work and its on my desk all pretty and unopened..
            My Movies
            +21 BRONZE TRADER

Comment

pan's labyrinth is reference material. It's one of the best transfers on blu-ray. When I want to show off my TV, that's one of the movies I use. It's incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by cubbiechris View Post
                pan's labyrinth is reference material. It's one of the best transfers on blu-ray. When I want to show off my TV, that's one of the movies I use. It's incredible.
                Sweet

Ive been using the 300 and Hellboy 2
                My Movies
                +21 BRONZE TRADER

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Williams View Post
                  Sweet

Ive been using the 300 and Hellboy 2
                  Those are cool too. My Favorite reference is Baraka.

Comment

I use I'ROBOT and TROY to show off. It pretty much blows their mind. I have best friends who love horror in which case I show them Dawn of the Dead and Halloween and they're completely sold.

Oh and those trying to bag on BLU-RAY, denial and being cheap is an ugly thing.

I have an angel on my shoulder, but a devil in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlyTENSE View Post
                      I use I'ROBOT and TROY to show off. It pretty much blows their mind. I have best friends who love horror in which case I show them Dawn of the Dead and Halloween and they're completely sold.

Yea, I wasnt going to upgrade my TV and DVD player for a long time, but My mom got me my Samsung 46in LCD for xmas(I was ) and I paid $100 for my Sony BD350(wife got $85 in visa GC from work and it was on sale for $179). But, I would never down BR...I would state I couldnt afford it, but never down it.
                      My Movies
                      +21 BRONZE TRADER

Comment

Hellraiser Blu-ray Gets April Date

In an early announcement to retailers, Anchor Bay Home Entertainment has revealed that they will bring 'Hellraiser' to Blu-ray on April 21st. According to the listing, the horror classic will be presented in its rated form, so those looking for the unrated version will have to hold onto their DVD. No technical specs or special features have been announced at this time.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2345

Comment

Originally posted by HighlyTENSE View Post

It isn't the format itself that should be bagged on, but the CE manufacturers and Movies studios who continue to put out sub-par CE products and transfers of movies. Even the two horror films you mentioned, could have been much better. The companies really need to get their shit together.

Comment

Originally posted by cubbiechris View Post
                            Mmmm...
                            Don't tease me like that.
                            Cat in the Brain: ***
                            Jack Brooks Monster Slayer: ***
                            Into the Wild: ****
                            Observe and Report: **
                            Vampyr (1931): ****

Comment

Originally posted by SkInWaLkEr View Post
                              It isn't the format itself that should be bagged on, but the CE manufacturers and Movies studios who continue to put out sub-par CE products and transfers of movies. Even the two horror films you mentioned, could have been much better. The companies really need to get their shit together.
                              Now what did you expect out of movies that are 30 plus years old?? Dawn of the Dead as well as Halloween are considered by most hi-def websites, experts, and aficianados to look fantastic in Blu. You can't expect them to look like brand spanking new, and honestly I think they actually come really close to looking brand new.

I'd say the only studios that have questionable quality records are Lionsgate and 20th Century Fox to a much lesser extent... I couldn't forgive them for lousy transfers of Predator and Commando. For the most part though every blu-ray I own which I think I own 45 right now look great.

You also have to think that even the lowest looking blu-ray will trump it's DVD predeccessor. The point of upgrading to a higher resolution is because TVs are getting bigger and cheaper for their size. A dvd looks terrible on a 46inch HDTV due to having only 480 lines spread out on a huge TV. You put a blu-ray on 50 inch TVs and it still looks incredible.

Bottom line, you can't be so harsh towards older films looking the way they do on BD.

I have an angel on my shoulder, but a devil in my head.

Comment

Friday the 13th comes out on Tuesday, FYI. Just got it in the mail today so I'll make sure to give a full report by the weekend.

ITS A FIDAY THE 13TH MOVIE! WHATS TO REVIEW? YOU KNOW WHATS GOING TO FUCKING HAPPEN! IF YOU LIKED IT BEFORE YOU WILL NOW, IF YOU DIDNT SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GO RENT A MY LITTLE PONY MOVIE AND CRY IN A CORNER!
                                +26 Trader

Wii: 6359-1123-8521-2187 | MK: 0130-2350-0007

Comment

Working...
                                X