This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighlyTENSE View Post
    Now what did you expect out of movies that are 30 plus years old?? Dawn of the Dead as well as Halloween are considered by most hi-def websites, experts, and aficianados to look fantastic in Blu. You can't expect them to look like brand spanking new, and honestly I think they actually come really close to looking brand new.

I'd say the only studios that have questionable quality records are Lionsgate and 20th Century Fox to a much lesser extent... I couldn't forgive them for lousy transfers of Predator and Commando. For the most part though every blu-ray I own which I think I own 45 right now look great.

You also have to think that even the lowest looking blu-ray will trump it's DVD predeccessor. The point of upgrading to a higher resolution is because TVs are getting bigger and cheaper for their size. A dvd looks terrible on a 46inch HDTV due to having only 480 lines spread out on a huge TV. You put a blu-ray on 50 inch TVs and it still looks incredible.

Bottom line, you can't be so harsh towards older films looking the way they do on BD.
    Take a look at Blade Runner. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by SkInWaLkEr View Post
      Take a look at Blade Runner. Enough said.
      Ok? It looked fantastic, but so did Dawn of the Dead and Halloween. Not to mention Blade Runner had the benefit of a budget. It's a studio picture for crying out loud. We're talking about low low low budget independent films here who are so damn lucky to look as good as they do as it is on blu ray. Might as well bring up The Matrix or something.

I have an angel on my shoulder, but a devil in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlyTENSE View Post
        Ok? It looked fantastic, but so did Dawn of the Dead and Halloween. Not to mention Blade Runner had the benefit of a budget. It's a studio picture for crying out loud. We're talking about low low low budget independent films here who are so damn lucky to look as good as they do as it is on blu ray. Might as well bring up The Matrix or something.
        Oh good grief. First off, if you say either of them looked like Blade Runner then you're the biggest tool on the boards. Obviously, you don't think somewhere down the line there will be a super-mega deluxe edition of either of these films with superior PQ and audio with lots of extras? Get real dude. Studios do this to get people to double dip and make twice the revenue. I won't bring up The Matrix, but I will bring up the recently released WB title Appaloosa, which was printed on a BD25 with very low bit-rates resulting in an atrocious transfer. WB is notorious for doing this. Blade Runner's PQ is far superior to the recently released Appaloosa.

Comment

Originally posted by SkInWaLkEr View Post
          Oh good grief. First off, if you say either of them looked like Blade Runner then you're the biggest tool on the boards. Obviously, you don't think somewhere down the line there will be a super-mega deluxe edition of either of these films with superior PQ and audio with lots of extras? Get real dude. Studios do this to get people to double dip and make twice the revenue. I won't bring up The Matrix, but I will bring up the recently released WB title Appaloosa, which was printed on a BD25 with very low bit-rates resulting in an atrocious transfer. WB is notorious for doing this. Blade Runner's PQ is far superior to the recently released Appaloosa.
          I didn't say that though did I? Blade Runner does look better, but you're also not accounting for the fact that not every print of film is going to be as pristine as the next. Also, Blade Runner was not only restored to the fullest, but it even had visual enhancements done to it for a theatrical re-release. So of course it's gonna look fucking dynamite.

To say that Dawn and Halloween look terrible on BD is a pretty tool thing to say as well. You're trying to put standards on much older low budget indy films coming from a much smaller label, to a bigger budget film from one of the biggest studios in Hollywood that was also recently re-released in theaters.

I can't speak for Appaloosa, but I do agree that from time to time WB makes some very dumbfuck decisions like releasing T3 at 1080i and then mislabeling it as 1080p.

Bottom line is that in general with goofs like Appaloosa not withstanding, you can't expect every film to look as good as another film on BD. You have to account for what the condition was for the available print that the studio or company had, as well as the resources to remaster them. WB has the benefit of getting companies like Lowry to remaster one of their babies, the same guys who restored Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Alien. Anchor Bay is gonna do the best they can with what they got, and what they have done so far is pretty amazing considering the nature of the films they released. I'm sure sometime down the road there will be double dips as there have been with almost every other movie that has been released on a new format. As the technology gets more and more refined, so do the films. Remember Blade Runner on dvd back in 1997?

Really, how good do you want them to look? Like as if they were made yesterday? Sometimes that bites certain films in the ass like the upcoming Friday the 13th. They remastered that film sooo well, that the incredible fx are completely given away. You can clearly see where the real flesh ends and where the latex begins.

I have an angel on my shoulder, but a devil in my head.

Comment

Ghosts of Mars on Blu-Ray?
            Awesome.

Comment

Awesome indeed.. Thanks for that.

DVDs

Recent Flicks
              Jurassic World - 7/10
              Speed - 8.5/10
              John Wick - 9.5/10
              The Omen III: The Final Conflict - 7/10
              Interstellar - 8/10

Comment

Now hearing that Ghosts of Mars is coming out on blu-ray is fucking awesome. It made my day.
                Tell me one thing. Why are you so fucking stupid?

Comment

Falling Down on Blu-ray:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...ling-down.html
                  sigpic

Comment

blu ray?? *rips juicy fart*
                    The future...
                    WWW.STELLARCORPSES.COM

Comment

Originally posted by brain dead View Post
                      Ghosts of Mars on Blu-Ray?
                      Awesome.
                      Specs were announced.

* Region-free
                      * 1080P 2.40:1 Widescreen
                      * English, French and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby TrueHD
                      * Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
                      * Subtitles (Film): English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
                      * Subtitles (Extras): Portuguese, Spanish
                      * Audio Commentary with Director John Carpenter and Actress Natasha Henstridge
                      * Three featurettes:
                      o Video Diary: Red Desert Nights
                      o SFX Deconstructions
                      o Scoring Ghosts of Mars

DVDBeaver has some new reviews up

Raging Bull: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...ragingbull.htm
                      A History of Violence: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...dvd_review.htm
                      Donnie Darko: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ko_blu-ray.htm

Comment

True Romance (Director's Cut) - May 26th

* Behind the Story
                        o Commentary by Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette
                        o Commentary by Tony Scott
                        o Commentary by Quentin Tarantino
                        o Selective Commentary:
                        + Val Kilmer
                        + Dennis Hopper
                        + Brad Pitt
                        + Michael Rapaport
                        * Original 1993 EPK Featurette
                        o Behind-The-Scenes: During the this featurette a heart icon will appear on the screen which allows viewers to click enter taking them into another small featurette once the pod is over the original featurette will continue where it was left off
                        * Additional Footage:
                        o Deleted and Extended Scenes with Optional commentary by the Director (play all option)
                        + At The Movies
                        + Heroes For Sale
                        + He Really Loved Her
                        + Coming Clean
                        + “We Know What Were Doing”
                        + Playing “What If?”
                        + Elliots Motivation
                        o Alternate Ending with optional commentary by the Director and Writer
                        * Theatrical Trailer

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Extended Cut) - May 26th

* 1080P 1.85:1 Widescreen
                        * English, French, Spanish, German and Italian DD5.1 Surround
                        * English, French, Spanish, German and Italian subtitles
                        * Behind the Scenes
                        o Commentary with Kevin Costner and Director Kevin Reynolds
                        o Commentary with Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater and producers Pen Densham and John Watson
                        o Robin Hood: The Man, The Myth, The Legend (RT 31:44)
                        o One on One with the Cast (with Play all option)
                        + Kevin Costner (RT 3:54)
                        + Morgan Freeman (RT 4:22)
                        + Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (RT 3:42)
                        + Christian Slater (RT 3:41)
                        + Alan Rickman (RT 3:12)
                        * Music Videos (Bucket)
                        o ~Bryan Adams “(Everything I do I do it) For You” -Live At Slane Castle (RT4:14)
                        * Trailers (1 Theatrical & 6 TV Spots)
                        * Music Soundtrack Cues in 5.1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition Set with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III and the already released TMNT - No specs announced yet.

Comment

Universal Home Video has announced DVD ($19.9 and Blu-ray ($29.9 editions of Army of Darkness for the 19th May. The new "Screwhead Edition" will include commentary with director Sam Raimi, star Bruce Campbell, and co-writer Ivan Raimi, deleted scenes, an alternate ending, additional footage, a Men Behind the Army featurette, and the theatrical trailer. The Blu-ray release will also include additional production photos via its U-Control mode. Stay tuned for the official package artwork.

Comment

The Criterion Collection has announced that they will bring Akira Kurosawa's 'Ran' to Blu-ray on May 12th. Previously released as a two-disc DVD set, this Blu-ray disc is expected to include all the special features on a single disc. Technical specs have yet to be confirmed, but you can expect a 1.85:1 1080p AVC video presentation with some sort of lossless/uncompressed audio track.

Expected extras for this release include:

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
                            * Audio commentary by Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
                            * An appreciation of the film by director Sidney Lumet
                            * A.K., a 74-minute film by director Chris Marker
                            * A 30-minute documentary on the making of Ran, part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
                            * A 35-minute video piece reconstructing Ran through Kurosawa's paintings and sketches, created as part of the series Image: Kurosawa's Continuity
                            * New video interview with actor Tatsuya Nakadai
                            * Theatrical trailers
                            * New and improved English subtitle translation
                            * Plus: a 28-page booklet featuring film critic Michael Wilmington and interviews with Kurosawa and composer Toru Takemitsu

---------------------------

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring all six Star Trek films as part of a 'Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection' to Blu-ray on May 12th. This seven-disc set will feature all the films - 'The Motion Picture', 'The Wrath of Khan', 'The Search for Spock', 'The Voyage Home', 'The Final Frontier', and 'The Undiscovered Country' - in 1080p video accompanied by Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtracks.

You can find all the specs here: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2408

---------------------------

First Season of Star Trek Blu-ray Bound

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring 'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1' to Blu-ray on April 28th. Video will be presented in 1.33:1 1080p accompanied by a 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack (a departure of the normal Dolby TrueHD soundtrack from the studio) along with the original mono track for purist.

Continuing with that theme, viewers will be able to select - via seamless branching - on whether to watch to the shows in their original splendor, or in the newly remastered form.

Extras for this release include:

* Spacelift: Transporting Trek into the 21st Century
                            * Reflections on Spock
                            * Life Beyond Trek: William Shatner
                            * To Boldly Go... Season One
                            * The Birth of a Timeless Legacy
                            * Sci-Fi Visionaries
                            * Billy Blackburn's Treasure Chest: Rare Home Movies and Special Memories
                            * Kiss ‘N' Tell: Romance in the 23rd Century
                            * Interactive Enterprise Inspection

Comment

Original 'Alien' Trilogy Coming to Blu-ray

By: MrDisgusting

We learned of some very interesting news that has me jumping for joy. We discovered that Fox Home Entertainment is currently working on brand new Blu-ray releases for Alien, Aliens and Alien 3. Each film is said to be released in a new special edition set with brand new special features made just for these releases! The only concern I have is Fox's lackluster Blu-ray releases, where the quality looks like a simple up-convert as opposed to a brand new transfer (see Predator, Commando, Donnie Darko and numerous others). No release date has been set, but I'm praying we see this before year's end.

Source: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/15350/

If Fox doesn't take this medium seriously enough to do right by two of the greatest titles in their library then they're never going to.

DVDs

Recent Flicks
                              Jurassic World - 7/10
                              Speed - 8.5/10
                              John Wick - 9.5/10
                              The Omen III: The Final Conflict - 7/10
                              Interstellar - 8/10

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Hag View Post
                                Original 'Alien' Trilogy Coming to Blu-ray

By: MrDisgusting

We learned of some very interesting news that has me jumping for joy. We discovered that Fox Home Entertainment is currently working on brand new Blu-ray releases for Alien, Aliens and Alien 3. Each film is said to be released in a new special edition set with brand new special features made just for these releases! The only concern I have is Fox's lackluster Blu-ray releases, where the quality looks like a simple up-convert as opposed to a brand new transfer (see Predator, Commando, Donnie Darko and numerous others). No release date has been set, but I'm praying we see this before year's end.

Source: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/15350/

If Fox doesn't take this medium seriously enough to do right by two of the greatest titles in their library then they're never going to.
                                Aliens will be interesting. It has never been the prettiest film out there, and actually looks older than Alien. Hopefully Fox won't screw it up. That they are adding new features gives me some hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X