Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVD Vs. Blu-Ray

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by BeRightBack View Post
    I guess the ps3 is still one of the best blurays on the market, because it upscales my dvd's pretty damn good. The Blob (8 is one, in particular, that I recently bought, and was surprised at the non shitty look of the picture. It was actually quite crisp.

    I do prefer blu, though. Ever since I saw Terminator 2 maybe 5 or 6 years ago.
    Yup. We have two blu ray players in our apartment. Recently purchased Sony with wifi and apps (basically a dumbed down, gamepless PS3) is in our bedroom attached to a 32 inch Samsung (full HD). No sound system there, just the tv.

    Our living room is decked out. 5.1 surround sound, badass Yamaha receiver, and our PS3. TV is 42" LG (which was top of the line in November 2011 and still looks grest). Way faster than the stand alone in the bedroom... And I can game there. Blu rays looks and sound better, but I still have an extensive DVD collection which is great as well.

    Comment


    • #32
      I'll buy a Blu-ray if it's reasonably priced... but fuck paying 20+ bucks on one film. The difference in picture/sound quality doesn't really matter to me.

      Combo packs... WTF. Do people really need the same film (that they'll probably only watch once or twice in a lot of cases) on Blu and DVD?
      Last edited by Deadly Fiend; 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM.

      Comment


      • #33
        You gotta be fucking my balls. Blu by miles and miles. Increased sharpness and better contrast. Blacks look black and not pronounced gradations of pixel grays.

        I do agree that for most older movies it does not make a difference or much sense to be on blu. Someone mentioned Evil Dead and that particular film does not look that much different because of the quality of the original. I do not own TCM on blu yet but I imagine that will also be the case.

        I pretty much am buying only creature features on blu and new movies that I really like going forward. I am not interested on changing my whole collection because I can deal with DVD for the most part.

        But overall this is a no brainer because the quality is better and these days they practically give them away. Target is selling all kinds of blus for $5 right now...

        Comment


        • #34
          Frey cannot tell the difference because of his piss poor eye sight. And if you have a shitty tv you might as well not even buy blu rays.
          "I will do what Queens do. I will rule."

          Comment


          • #35
            This shouldn't even be an argument. Blu-Ray is far superior to DVD, so long as you have the right equipment. The differences are staggering when compared side by side.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post
              I'll buy a Blu-ray if it's reasonably priced... but fuck paying 20+ bucks on one film. The difference in picture/sound quality doesn't really matter to me.
              How much is shit where you live? We pay that much for DVDs let alone Blus. $20 is cheap for them...

              Originally posted by capecep View Post
              I do agree that for most older movies it does not make a difference or much sense to be on blu. Someone mentioned Evil Dead and that particular film does not look that much different because of the quality of the original. I do not own TCM on blu yet but I imagine that will also be the case.
              Really?

              I'm the exact opposite. I don't think it's as noticeable on the newer films, but on the older ones I think it's HUGE difference, if the transfer is good.

              TCM still has the grain (left intentionally) but it looks a lot deeper, sharper and more crisp. Which all Blu's do. Old or not.
              "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





              "I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


              You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
              Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
              My little idiot..

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by oxley View Post
                I'm the exact opposite. I don't think it's as noticeable on the newer films, but on the older ones I think it's HUGE difference, if the transfer is good.

                TCM still has the grain (left intentionally) but it looks a lot deeper, sharper and more crisp. Which all Blu's do. Old or not.
                I guess I need to see more older films on blu because what I've seen it's been mostly miss (Henry, The Evil Dead, Maniac) but as you say it really depends on the transfer and quality of the original stock.

                A better way to put it is that with newer films the quality is insured, like Prometheus, wow. But with the older films it's sometimes a gamble. I will seek out the TCM blu though if you say it's better.

                Comment


                • #38
                  I haven't seen the Blu of any of those, heard Maniac was a huge letdown though, aside from the features.

                  Alien and FLash Gordon are the best Blu's I've seen. And the images from 'The Horror Express' look AMAZING to.

                  http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/50748/horror-express/

                  "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





                  "I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


                  You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
                  Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
                  My little idiot..

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by oxley View Post
                    How much is shit where you live? We pay that much for DVDs let alone Blus. $20 is cheap for them...
                    I shop around on eBay and Amazon Marketplace, that's how. Fuck paying retail prices.

                    As for people saying some Blu-ray's are $5.... yeah... The Princess Diaries 2, Tomb Raider, Children of the Corn remake, etc.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      TCM, Evil Dead etc. will always look the best for me on VHS. If I had the room I would still have my VHS collection.

                      I just don't care about Blu-ray. PQ is just not a huge deal to me and I'm happy with DVD's.
                      Bow to the Schlock King

                      B-Movie Madness

                      Then it's my job to teach them how to do it, how they will be able to master a rockhard dick with their skillfull tongue - simple. I did that once, I'll do it again, no prob for Santa.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                        I just don't care about Blu-ray. PQ is just not a huge deal to me and I'm happy with DVD's.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post
                          I shop around on eBay and Amazon Marketplace, that's how. Fuck paying retail prices.

                          As for people saying some Blu-ray's are $5.... yeah... The Princess Diaries 2, Tomb Raider, Children of the Corn remake, etc.
                          The $7 bin at Best buy and has some good shit. I've picked up 20 or so for under 7 or 5 from there.

                          I buy few releases all the time. 20 - 25 isn't a huge deal for me. I have plenty of cash haha. Still getting them used or from amazon or eBay is the way to go unless I want something day one.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            My favorite thing about Blu Ray is all the cheap DVDs I can now scoop up.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Shoggoth View Post
                              My favorite thing about Blu Ray is all the cheap DVDs I can now scoop up.
                              At what point does this discussion morph into "when we go to full media download, what format of movies will you still keep?"

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Caustic Coffee View Post
                                At what point does this discussion morph into "when we go to full media download, what format of movies will you still keep?"
                                I will always hang onto my DVDs and VHS tapes because my collection is rather limited by choice. I only own movies I really love or want to be able to loan out. By the time we go full download, I probably still won't own any Blu Ray because I don't have the money or desire. The only Blu Rays I own now are ones I have downloaded. Not exactly legally, but you know...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X