What Book Did You Last Read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ginobili View Post
    The gf got me a copy of The Hellbound Heart, going to start reading it tonight.
    It's a very quick read!
    <a href=https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNs0YcCVAAEiEHI.jpg target=_blank>https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNs0YcCVAAEiEHI.jpg</a>
    R.I.P.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
      ^^^

Tempted to buy that Lloyd Kaufman book myself, how did you find it?
      It's good, sometimes Lloyd gets on my nerves though. The Trent Haaga segments were very funny

Comment

• Dark Hallow by John Connelly
        sigpicMy , What big teeth you have.

Comment

• l've never been a huge fan of the Dark Tower series, or any of King's fantasy-based tales. But l would say this book is my favorite in the series. lts a story within a story within a story, which gets a little confusing, especially if you set the book aside for a while and come back to it weeks later like l did.

Comment

• Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
            He definitely seems like the most informed person on Lovecraft. His books and essays have helped me out a lot when researching for my thesis.
            There will be a video chat with him here http://lovecraftzine.com/ next weekend. Should be cool. He rarely does these sorts of things.

This is actually the best book about Lovecraft l've ever found:

Last edited by Yoxodo; 02-23-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• I'm really glad I picked this up at the library. At first I thought it would just be a bunch of film reviews, but the last section has interviews with John Carpenter, Stuart Gordon and two other directors whose films I'm writing about for my thesis. I'm sure I'll be able to pull some good quotes from it.
                57 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

• Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                  I'm really glad I picked this up at the library. At first I thought it would just be a bunch of film reviews, but the last section has interviews with John Carpenter, Stuart Gordon and two other directors whose films I'm writing about for my thesis. I'm sure I'll be able to pull some good quotes from it.
                  What's your thesis on? My thesis focused on the slasher horror genre and I got to interview a couple of directors which was cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                    What's your thesis on? My thesis focused on the slasher horror genre and I got to interview a couple of directors which was cool.
                    Nice!

My thesis is on Lovecraft film adaptations. My argument is that the majority of films that adapt his work fail to capture his theme of Cosmic Indifferentism. I'm also going to argue that John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness, even though it isn't actually based on a Lovecraft story, is actually more faithful to the author's ideas.
                    57 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

• Dead Until Dark

Yes it's the book from Trueblood. No I'm not lame. I still don't plan on reading Twilight.

Comment

• The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock

Pollock began writing late in life. He lives in the Ohio back country where poverty, ignorance, and violence are the standard by which people live. His writing is concise, his subject matter macabre, and he has an eerie gift for capturing the strange world of outcasts, deranged and charismatic religious fanatics, and serial murderers. This novel, his first, is about as far away from the current American literary standard of smarmy postmodernism as you can get. He writes with grit, with heart, and with blood. And he doesn't flinch.

Comment

• Boxer, Beetle by Ned Beauman

Beauman is a young Cambridge grad who has grabbed alot of attention for this peculiar and hilarious first novel. This is quirky British wit at its best coupled with a pinpoint erudition of all things strange and....well...British. My only complaint is that the novel is far too short to give due diligence to all the strangeness that is going on inside Beauman's head. Eugenics, Nazi memorablilia collecting, secret societies, entymology, boxing, homosexuality, futurism, and the high weirdness of the English gentry of the early twentieth century get the Beauman treatment. His style is brisk, vigorous and intelligent. And he has a wicked sense of humor.

Comment

• The Five People Who Died During Sex and Other Terribly Tastless Lists

Really good. Lots of dirty little facts about former presidents and other weird stuff.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Jack the Pin View Post
                                The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock

Pollock began writing late in life. He lives in the Ohio back country where poverty, ignorance, and violence are the standard by which people live. His writing is concise, his subject matter macabre, and he has an eerie gift for capturing the strange world of outcasts, deranged and charismatic religious fanatics, and serial murderers. This novel, his first, is about as far away from the current American literary standard of smarmy postmodernism as you can get. He writes with grit, with heart, and with blood. And he doesn't flinch.

I just finished this about a month ago. This one of the finest books I've ever read, ever. The textured way he describes such a stark, often vicious culture perfectly contrasted the ugliness of the story. Beyond great writing, it was a great plot and a satisfying conclusion. I couldn't wait to read to the end and then I just wanted to read it again.
                                Last edited by Caustic Coffee; 03-09-2013, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X