No announcement yet.

What Book Did You Last Read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Johannes Cabal necromancing was vital to his work. His soul on the other hand seemed inconsequential and a small price to pay for the power to raise the dead. That is until a lack of soul proves to be impeding his research. Annoying really, something supposedly so insignificant having the audacity to create such an upset in his life. Thus the only remaining option is to go to the man, or rather Infernal Overlord in possession of his soul. Satan never was one to just relinquish a soul to anyone much less someone who barges into hell like he owns it! However, Satan has also never been known to refuse a bet, especially one stacked in his favor. A deal is made and Johannes has one year to collect a hundred souls with the use of a reincarnated carnival and his begrudging bloodsucking brother or forfeit his soul and his life to the almighty egomaniac downstairs.

Samuel Johnson thinks he's showing initiative when he decides to go trick or treating three days early. The Abernathys and their friends think they're just having a bit of fun to pass by an otherwise boring evening by reading from the Book of the Dead and unexpectedly opening up a portal to hell and setting free Satan's right hand man. Woman? Unfortunately for Samuel and his faithful dachshund Boswell, they see everything through the Abernathy's tiny basement window. The demon now disguised as the former Mrs. Abernathy begins plans to unleash an army of hell beasts to lead the way into Satan's long awaited hell on earth. Samuel however proves to be the wrench in her plans and thus the target of the second in command's fury. Will Samuel and Boswell rescue humanity from damnation with the unlikely help of Nurd the banished demon king of the wastelands and scourge of five deities? Stranger things have happened. Oh wait no they haven't. This may end badly.

Chesney Arnstruther never was a popular nor interesting man (Actuaries never are). Women rarely looked his way unless they felt his eyes on their breasts. On an unassuming night he finds himself in the midst of building a five sided poker table when he hits his thumb with the hammer, blood is spilled, and a jumble of nondescript utterences erupts from his mouth. Next thing he knows he's staring into the face of a demon claiming Chesney summoned it and will not leave till Chesney has signed his soul over to the head honcho downstairs. Chesney, who was raised by an overbearing, over zealous, Bible thumping mother, refuses the deal and through a series of mishaps and misunderstandings inadvertently sends hell on strike. This is a good thing right!? Without the little red guy on everyone's shoulder there's no longer any sin. Turns out sin was what was making the world go round and without it everyone is at a standstill lacking the motivation to do anything. With the help of a lawyer gone fire and brimstone TV evangelist a deal is struck that leaves Chesney's soul in tact and hell functioning more efficiently than ever. The best part of this deal is now Chesney has the help of a demon (who sounds like Al Capone and has a penchant for fine cigars and rum) to realize his life long dream to become one of the superheroes in his comic books. Thus the Actionary is born. Fighting criminals is great but will the newly acquired love interests prove to be more trouble than the bad guys?
    Last edited by voodoo_dolly; 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeRightBack View Post
      Cool, I've been looking for good fantasy for a while, Ordered the first 3.

Anyone got any good horror novel recs to start off with?

The first half of the first book is very Lord of the Rings in form, but Jordan did that on purpose to get new readers more comfortable with the characters before going off into truly original and epic territory. Hope you enjoy them!

Comment

• Fall of Thanes by Brian Ruckley and Thud by Terry Pratchet.
        It's all a load of bollocks!

Comment

• You want to be depressed while reading this but there's something about the quiet acceptance of the character's sad fate that keeps you from doing so.

Comment

• One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

I absolutely hated this book! Can't believe I finished it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freddy_Lives View Post
              One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

I absolutely hated this book! Can't believe I finished it.

I've had a couple books like that. Once I start reading it I have to finish it or I feel like I've wasted my time and it's a pain to get through.

Comment

• The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. It was eh.

Comment

• Alice Cooper -- Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict

I've been an Alice Cooper fan for nearly forty years and when I saw that he had come out with this book I had absolutely no desire to read it. A friend of mine had a copy and suggested I read it so I did and I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

• A couple of classics:

Who Goes There? - John W. Campbell, Jr. - 8/10

The House of the Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne - I always thought it was some period romance piece. What a surprise it was more of a gothic horror story in which the romance part is barely visible. - 7/10

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoo_dolly View Post

You want to be depressed while reading this but there's something about the quiet acceptance of the character's sad fate that keeps you from doing so.
                      Just finished this. Excellent book, as good as the movie. Though it's interesting how much was changed in the film, yet it always ultimately came back to central storyline of the book. Almost like two people had the same story outline and filled in their own interpretations. Admittedly, had they not made many of those changes, I don't know if the book would have been filmable.

One thing I liked much better in the film than the novel was that they didn't over-explain the history behind the story. I felt the novel dragged out the exposition too much near the end, whereas in the film they gave you just enough info to get the gist of what happened while allowing you to infer for yourself the full story behind the tale.

Comment

• Damn good book! Adam is slowly creeping up as one of my favorite guys in show business.

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoo_dolly View Post

You want to be depressed while reading this but there's something about the quiet acceptance of the character's sad fate that keeps you from doing so.
                          Great book. I still need to see the movie.
                          54 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

• It wasn't a horror story. "Stay a little longer" - Dorothy Garlock

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                              Just finished this. Excellent book, as good as the movie. Though it's interesting how much was changed in the film, yet it always ultimately came back to central storyline of the book. Almost like two people had the same story outline and filled in their own interpretations. Admittedly, had they not made many of those changes, I don't know if the book would have been filmable.

One thing I liked much better in the film than the novel was that they didn't over-explain the history behind the story. I felt the novel dragged out the exposition too much near the end, whereas in the film they gave you just enough info to get the gist of what happened while allowing you to infer for yourself the full story behind the tale.
                              Yeah except for when the teacher explained what would happen to them they didn't really spell it out. I plan on reading more of Ishiguro's books in the future.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X