No announcement yet.

What Book Did You Last Read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got finished re-reading a Star Wars book called Darth Bane: Path of Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn. Drew K. also is one of the main writers for the Mass Effect games and KOTOR.
    Path of Destruction is the 1st book in a trilogy about Darth Bane, a sith lord. I've always found the dark side of the force in star wars fascinating and these are some of the only books that i know of that really delve into that subject. great read if you're into that sort of thing.

So, next i guess i'll re-read the 2nd book in that trilogy called Path of Two. I've never read the 3rd book - Dynasty of Evil- and it's been a while since i read the first 2 so i wanted to refresh the story in my mind before starting it.

After that, i'll either read the 4th Game of Thrones book (A Feast of Crows) or this new book i got on a friends recommendation called The Last of the Renshai. i don't know anyone that has ever heard of that book or the series but he says its amazing and he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Comment

• Goosebumps: The Girl Who Cried Monster- 10/10

Loved it. It was one of the few books from the original Goosebumps book series that I haven't read until now.

Comment

• Grisham's The Litigators, The Confession and The Racketeer were all entertaining, quick reads, though Racketeer jumped the shark with its plot twist.
        Deep Fathom and Chaos Theory were by-the-numbers thrillers. Rollins impressed me more with his fantasy series under the name of Clemmens than he ever has with his cookie-cutter thrillers, and Graham Masterson has been getting progressively worse in his old age.
        The Black Dahlia was interesting, though I think Ellroy went overboard with the last third of the book. The movie was by no means perfect, but it tidied up the story much more solidly than the novel did.
        Last edited by Mayday; 01-26-2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• This one was bit of a struggle. Way too much 50's cop jargon and muddled plotlines. Not as good as The Black Dahlia.

I wanted to love this book as much as John Dies at the End, but I just didn't. The beginning and the end were as hilariously funny as JDATE, but the middle portion of the book just wasn't as ROFL; it was more amusing that hilarious. And while the story was more solid and straightforward, I think the completely WTF nature of JDATE made it a superior book. Don't Touch This Book was an enjoyable read, but it just didn't live up to John Dies at the End.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayday View Post
            This one was bit of a struggle. Way too much 50's cop jargon and muddled plotlines. Not as good as The Black Dahlia.
            I've read Silent Terror which I really enjoyed but still need to read the Black Dahlia. I've heard James Ellroy talk about the case and he's a pretty interesting dude, the guilt of his mothers death made him pretty obsessive about the murder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
              I've read Silent Terror which I really enjoyed but still need to read the Black Dahlia. I've heard James Ellroy talk about the case and he's a pretty interesting dude, the guilt of his mothers death made him pretty obsessive about the murder.
              Yeah, you can kind of tell. His childhood traumas also seem to have been responsible for his really twisted, cynical writing. The Black Dahlia and L.A. Confidential could be cleaned up to make solid films, but there's no way The Big Nowhere will ever come out in theaters. I have to admit, I felt kinda grungy after reading it. Much of the gruesomeness seemed unnecessary to me.

Comment

• Gallery of horror

Comment

• I read the Black Dahlia about two years back and it floored me.

I don't normally go in for genre fiction, especially of the hard-boiled variety, but james Ellroy writes like greased lightning on rails. Great dialogue, great attention to historical detail, a great economy with words yet vivid and over-the-top. I love it when someone can transcend the narrow margins of a genre through sheer talent and mastery of the craft. Ellroy writes like some erudite, tweedy literary novelist who just happens to know all the in and outs of crime fiction. It's all so wonderfully noir.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack the Pin View Post
                    I read the Black Dahlia about two years back and it floored me.

I don't normally go in for genre fiction, especially of the hard-boiled variety, but james Ellroy writes like greased lightning on rails. Great dialogue, great attention to historical detail, a great economy with words yet vivid and over-the-top. I love it when someone can transcend the narrow margins of a genre through sheer talent and mastery of the craft. Ellroy writes like some erudite, tweedy literary novelist who just happens to know all the in and outs of crime fiction. It's all so wonderfully noir.
                    I have always wanted to read a James Ellroy novel. I have a few but couldn't decide on which one to read first. L.A. Confidential and The Black Dahlia are such great movies I figured I would start with one of them. Though I've always thought White Jazz sounded right up my alley.

edit: after checking up on these on Goodreads, I see that they're all part of a series along with The Big Nowhere called L.A. Quartet. Do these need to be read in order? Looks like The Black Dahlia is the 1st one.
                    Last edited by Doctor RoXo; 02-10-2014, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• It's probably best to read them in order.

Thanks for the post, it made me that much more stoked to read Ellroy now that I know he has a series of loosely connected novels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack the Pin View Post
                        It's probably best to read them in order.

Thanks for the post, it made me that much more stoked to read Ellroy now that I know he has a series of loosely connected novels.
                        I think i might start The Black Dahlia tonight. Already reading The Gunslinger and I don't really like reading more than 1 book at a time, but i'll make an exception.

And if you like reading, the join Goodreads, you won't regret it. here is my profile https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/9729721-doctor-roxo.
                        Add me and we can share recommendations and all that good stuff. Anyone else here can feel free to add me as well.

Comment

• Comment

• I bought The Handmaid's Tale and gonna read it on my flight on Saturday. Is it any good?

Comment

• Just started;

Comment

• I just finished "Wayward" by Blake Crouch. This is the second book in the Wayward Pines series. Quite good sci-fi-ish thriller. M. Night Shyamalan is gonna do the 10-episode miniseries on Fox.

Comment

Working...
                                X