What Book Did You Last Read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
    I'm trying to read horror books. I read most of Cabal by Barker, but ended up hating it. Read a few King books.... like I donno, something interesting. I've never read a fantasy book but they seem real fun to read.
    I don't read fantasy, so I cant help you out there, and most of the horror I read is King, but here's a few of my favorite books that I always recommend.

Animal Farm - Orwell
    1984 - Orwell
    Fight Club - Palahniuk
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Lindsay
    Geek Love - Dunn
    The Phantom of the Opera - Leroux
    The Vampire Chronicles - Rice
    Salem's Lot - King
    The Shining - King

Comment

I'm trying to read horror books. I read most of Cabal by Barker, but ended up hating it. Read a few King books.... like I donno, something interesting. I've never read a fantasy book but they seem real fun to read.
      Hmmm. I can't help you with fantasy...but try Play Dead by Anne Frasier! I'm always recommending it. It's more of a romantic suspense but everyone I've recommended it to seems to have enjoyed it, plus the author is a member at The Dreamin' Demon too! It can be interpreted as horror fiction though, depending on your take...which I assume it would be, given your dislike for Cabal and the 'meh' on King.

Originally posted by ZantiMisfit View Post
      I just finished We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (following up some strong recommendations on this site). I really liked it ... and it definitely is a "horror" story (people shouldn't be wary that some of the blurbs try to portray it as "feminist literature"). It took me a few chapters to get used to the narrator's voice, but things picked up when little Kevin was brought into the world. I can understand the main criticisms I read on amazon reviews: that the narrator was difficult to like, and Kevin's "evil" was a bit over the top, making the book more akin to a modern remake of "The Bad Seed" (or maybe what Michael Myers might've done if he held off murdering his sister as a kid, and saved his "coming out" for his high-school years) rather than a realistic exploration of the psychology behind school murders. But I was fine with those things ... in fact, it was refreshing to not have the story build up some grandiose touchy-feely psychological profile of Kevin (identifying who's to "blame"), and just lay the idea out there that some people may just be "bad", without any easy blame to give. The flashback structure works well, and the story manages to hold surprises despite the fact that it seems like you know how everything turned out from the start. And the book finishes up in a chilling (and disturbingly touching) manner.
      Glad you liked it! I love the book. In what sense was the evil 'over-the-top'?

Originally posted by apocalypticdreamer View Post
      The Phantom of the Opera - Leroux
      Oh dear God no. Fuck that shit. I reread it and no wonder it's the closest novel to my fireplace. Seemingly random crap thrown together to be tied by enduring love. Awkward narration and the novel obviously was not planned well. Garbage! And horror? You should be slapped for recommending it!

Anywho, I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson last, just after A Clockwork Orange by Burgess and Rage Therapy by Daniel Kalla...interesting novels to compare, I'll say. I'm on to Play Dead by Anne Frasier again, for the Dreamin' Demon book club (although the month is over, sadly). Hopefully I'll sneak in The Trade Mission by Andrew Pyper and The Joke by Milan Kundera soon...

Forward, not permanent, sweet, not lasting.

Comment

• Originally posted by brokenandtwisted View Post
        Oh dear God no. Fuck that shit. I reread it and no wonder it's the closest novel to my fireplace. Seemingly random crap thrown together to be tied by enduring love. Awkward narration and the novel obviously was not planned well. Garbage! And horror? You should be slapped for recommending it!
        Everyone likes different things. I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 right now and am having to force myself through it.

Why do you reread shit you didn't like the first time? ??:

Comment

• Originally posted by apocalypticdreamer View Post
          Everyone likes different things. I'm reading Fahrenheit 451 right now and am having to force myself through it.

Why do you reread shit you didn't like the first time? ??:
          You said give it a try again in the draft. I did. Ugh. The most annoying part is introducing a pivotal character in the book three quarters the way through it. You simply do not do that. In addition, the films and plays are so different because the book is far too convoluted and random at times. Hallucinating in a torture room and dying of thirst? What is that?

Nah it's cool about F-451. Wouldn't expect someone who enjoys Leroux to enjoy a decent novel.

Comment

• The last book i read was A Nightmare on Elm Street: Suffer the Children..I loved it. It's one of the few books that iv'e read that i havent had to read for school and enjoyed.
            [XBOXLIVE]AOD Slasher 911[/XBOXLIVE]
            Playstation 3 Online ID: Stingray911

When the bullet hits the bone...

Game Of The Year=Metal Gear Solid 4

Comment

• Originally posted by brokenandtwisted View Post
              Hallucinating in a torture room and dying of thirst? What is that?
              It still had a better ending than IT.

Comment

I've never read a fantasy book but they seem real fun to read.
                http://www.amazon.ca/Game-Thrones-Bo...3335462&sr=8-1

Letterbox'd - Horror Etc - The Hysteria Continues - Film Junk - GGTMC

Comment

• Originally posted by apocalypticdreamer View Post
                  It still had a better ending than IT.
                  Well put...

Comment

• Like I love to read, but I get bored after a while with books.... I just need a reallly gooooood book. Like the Shining was amazing.
                    Recently watched films:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie: (7.5/10)
                    The Hurt Locker: (8.75/10)
                    Raging Bull: (10.0/10)
                    Umberto D.: (10.0/10)
                    The Wild Bunch: (9.5/10)
                    Ordinary People: (10.0/10)
                    Food Inc.: (8.0/10)
                    Road to Perdition: (8.5/10)

Comment

• Yeah that's why I was asking for a book to read... I searched for the book and looks pretty interesting, even though I've never read a fantasy book.
                      Recently watched films:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie: (7.5/10)
                      The Hurt Locker: (8.75/10)
                      Raging Bull: (10.0/10)
                      Umberto D.: (10.0/10)
                      The Wild Bunch: (9.5/10)
                      Ordinary People: (10.0/10)
                      Food Inc.: (8.0/10)
                      Road to Perdition: (8.5/10)

Comment

• the wasp factory by iain banks, fantastic read.

Comment

• The last book I read was Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I usually find his books to be good, but lacking something that prevents them from being great. Odd Thomas was quite good though.

Nathan
                          i'm not bad, i'm just misunderstood...

http://freaq90.dvdaf.com/owned

Comment

• Originally posted by freaq90 View Post
                            The last book I read was Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I usually find his books to be good, but lacking something that prevents them from being great. Odd Thomas was quite good though.

Nathan
                            When I was a kid I read every Koontz I could get my hands on. Even corresponded with him via snail mail for a long time. Very cool guy.
                            KITTYSAFE.NET
                            Facebook | Website
                            | For Mews, News, Reviews, Poetry, Music and Ideas |

Comment

• Originally posted by Kupotek View Post
                              When I was a kid I read every Koontz I could get my hands on. Even corresponded with him via snail mail for a long time. Very cool guy.
                              I used to read heaps of his work too when I was younger and there are several of his books I liked immensely - Midnight and Lightning were both excellent, and I loved Shadowfires too.

Nathan
                              i'm not bad, i'm just misunderstood...

http://freaq90.dvdaf.com/owned

Comment

• Originally posted by freaq90 View Post
                                I used to read heaps of his work too when I was younger and there are several of his books I liked immensely - Midnight and Lightning were both excellent, and I loved Shadowfires too.

Nathan
                                Indeed, he inspired me to write my first short stories. Lightning was probably his best story, though Nightmares was the first I read and it was really fun.
                                KITTYSAFE.NET
                                Facebook | Website
                                | For Mews, News, Reviews, Poetry, Music and Ideas |

Comment

Working...
                                X