What Book Did You Last Read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post

I find it makes quite a good summer book with the kids exploring the barrens etc. It's such a fantastic read. I love all the side stories like the psycho kid with the refrigerator as well, so chilling and likely to be left out of any adaptation.

There's so much in this book that would never make it into any adaptation, like the Ironworks, the bird, the leper and so on. I like the Tim Curry TV movie but it isn't a patch on this fantastic read. This novel blew me away.

I'm currently gong through old King books I've never read. Just started Pet Semetarym then it will be The Dark Half, Geralds Game and Insomnia.

After I've read those I'd like to tackle The Stand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post

There's so much in this book that would never make it into any adaptation, like the Ironworks, the bird, the leper and so on. I like the Tim Curry TV movie but it isn't a patch on this fantastic read. This novel blew me away.

I'm currently gong through old King books I've never read. Just started Pet Semetarym then it will be The Dark Half, Geralds Game and Insomnia.

Pet Semetary and The Stand are both amazing! I reckon Pet Semetary is his scariest work and my personal favorite and The Stand is simply epic and blows everyone away. My top 5 would be;

1. Pet Semetary
      2. The Stand
      3. IT
      4. Under The Dome
      5. Bag of Bones

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post

IT is the scariest novel I've ever read and prob my second favorite King novel after Salem's Lot. Pet Semetary and The Dark Half are both really cool. The Stand is one of the best PA stories ever. Insomnia is one of King's most underrated novels. I think it's his best of the 90s.

Comment

• I like Kings early work. But most of his books after '90/'95 or so are mostly garbage. I think the main problem and reason for this is the enormous amount of books he writes and releases. He puts out numerous books every year...when he should only put out maybe 1 book per year. Or hell, even 1 book every few years. I think if he wrote less, the quality of said work would be a great deal better. Quality trumps quantity any day. He's turning into James fucking Patterson.

BTW, The Stand is an epic read.

Comment

• Spirit of Steamboat - Craig Johnson.

Comment

• Cropsy - David Lee Veroux. More of a coming-of-age tale infused with supernatural elements than a true horror story. For the most part it's well-written, though about midway it mostly abandons any horror elements and begins overdoing it with details of what the protagonist is doing on a daily basis. However, its biggest fault lies in the final absolutely ludicrous chapter. After a mostly solid story, it degrades into cliché and overdone tropes in a matter of just a few pages.Good first effort by the author, but he really needs to learn to stay consistent throughout the work.

Comment

• Dig Ten Graves - Heath Lowrance. A decent collection of dark stories from an indie author.

Comment

• The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart - Both disturbing and hilarious

Comment

• Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson. A thrilling historical account of the lead up to and sinking of the Lusitania and its repercussions.

Comment

• Dreaming Down-Under Book Two - A collection of sci-fi stories by Australian authors. Overall, I was not that impressed. None of them really stood out as being all that great.

Comment

• The Black - Paul E. Cooley. Although the writing is very frat-boy amateurish at times, especially with dialogue, once the story gets going it is a rollercoaster ride of excitement. Not great writing, but an entertaining read.

Simon Says - Peter Hallett. An interesting sardonic novella about a schizophrenic who takes to killing people in response to Simon, the voice in his head. The dialogue some of his victims spout is remarkably unrealistic given their circumstances, but overall the story was good.

Comment

• Pet Semetary - Stephen King

I really enjoyed this book, although watching the movie first I knew what to expect. Still a very good and creepy read.King really makes you really feel the worlds and characters he creates.

Comment

• Spook House - Michael West. A pretty decent horror tale with smatterings of Lovecraft, in, what I didn't realize when I downloaded it, a series of supernatural tales in a small town in Indiana. A bit contrived at times, but overall written well enough to give a read.

Comment

• Outage - T.W. Piperbrook. An OK werewolf novella, the first of a trilogy. Although considering the books are just a little over 100 pages each, seems more like the author/publisher split one 300 page book into three to milk more money out of them.

The Snow and the Darkness - Matthew Warren Wilson. An actual novella, pretty brutal and graphic and creepy. Reminiscent to a degree of the X-Files episode "Home". Splatterpunk fans should like this one.

Comment

• Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King. Although it's the usual smooth flowing narrative of King, the story and characters themselves were pretty shallow. Mr. Mercedes himself felt wholly underdeveloped and the protagonists were rather generic one-note place holders. This felt more like a novella that was unnecessarily drawn out into a full-length novel. An OK read, but far from one of King's better works.

Comment

Working...
                                X