What Book Did You Last Read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
    Has anyone else read the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly? It's about a private detective who's haunted (both literally and figuratively) by the brutal murders of his wife and daughter and sets out to find their killer. Over the course of the series, he goes up against a variety of serial killers, religious fanatics and even fallen angels (I love how each book delves more and more into the supernatural). Charlie's usually aided by his best friends Angel and Louis, a bickering gay couple who also happen to be a thief and hitman respectively, as well as the Fulci Brothers, two behemoths with a passion for violence and a childish devotion to Charlie.

Currently, I'm reading the 9th book in the series, The Whisperers:

For fans of incredibly dark thrillers with a touch of humor, I would definitely recommend Charlie Parker.
    H.P. Pufncraft I have been a Charlie Parker fan since the first book was published. Connolly is an amazing writer. I think The Killing Kind is prob my fave of the series (if that's the one with the creepy preacher guy and the poisonous spiders). I'm just waiting for The Wolf in Winter to arrive from Amazon, hopefully early next week. I have the entire series in paperback, so I keep ordering them that way to complete the collection.

I recommend this series to all horror fans and anyone who just enjoys a really well-written, exciting book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayday View Post

H.P. Pufncraft I have been a Charlie Parker fan since the first book was published. Connolly is an amazing writer. I think The Killing Kind is prob my fave of the series (if that's the one with the creepy preacher guy and the poisonous spiders). I'm just waiting for The Wolf in Winter to arrive from Amazon, hopefully early next week. I have the entire series in paperback, so I keep ordering them that way to complete the collection.

I recommend this series to all horror fans and anyone who just enjoys a really well-written, exciting book.

Killing Kind is probably my favorite in the series. Pudd is such a great villain. I also really enjoyed The Black Angel.
      57 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

• John Connolly is one of my favorite authors. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Samuel Johnson series and also bought The Book of Lost Things not too long ago. He is amazingly adept at both humor amd wit.

Comment

• Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

One of the funnest books I've ever read. It certainly helps if, like me, you grew up in the 80's and can remember much of the things referenced in the book.
          This is being made into a movie soon, directed by none other than Stephen Spielberg! I'm sure he will do it justice. It will be an expensive movie to make. If for no other reason than the licensing. I just hope they don't leave too much out. It could easily be a mini-series on TV, 4 to 6 hours or so. But a big budget film will do it more justice I think. This is a must read guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor RoXo View Post

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

One of the funnest books I've ever read. It certainly helps if, like me, you grew up in the 80's and can remember much of the things referenced in the book.
            This is being made into a movie soon, directed by none other than Stephen Spielberg! I'm sure he will do it justice. It will be an expensive movie to make. If for no other reason than the licensing. I just hope they don't leave too much out. It could easily be a mini-series on TV, 4 to 6 hours or so. But a big budget film will do it more justice I think. This is a must read guys!
            One of the most original, nostalgic, greatest books I've ever read. It stokes the inner fanboi fires perfectly, but is accessible to everyone, even those not immersed in fnboi/80s pop culture. Cline finally has a new book coming out soon that sounds like it will most excellent too.

Comment

One of the most original, nostalgic, greatest books I've ever read. It stokes the inner fanboi fires perfectly, but is accessible to everyone, even those not immersed in fnboi/80s pop culture. Cline finally has a new book coming out soon that sounds like it will most excellent too.
              If you're talking about Armada, that's already out.
              He does have a 3rd book that he just made a deal for. He's already sold movie rights to it and Armada. But I've heard horrible things about Armada. Hope he's not a one hit wonder.

Comment

If you're talking about Armada, that's already out.
                He does have a 3rd book that he just made a deal for. He's already sold movie rights to it and Armada. But I've heard horrible things about Armada. Hope he's not a one hit wonder.
                Yeah, that's the one. Didn't realize it was already released. Hmm looking at Amazon reviews it's interesting - 70% gave it 3 stars or better, but all the 2-star reviews have the most "helpful" ratings. Guess hoping it will be anywhere as good as RPO might be hoping too much. Oh well.

Comment

Yeah, that's the one. Didn't realize it was already released. Hmm looking at Amazon reviews it's interesting - 70% gave it 3 stars or better, but all the 2-star reviews have the most "helpful" ratings. Guess hoping it will be anywhere as good as RPO might be hoping too much. Oh well.
                  I try not to let reviews influence what I choose to read, watch, or whatever. But it does sort of make me worry that it's not going to be that good. I'll judge it for myself soon.

Comment

• The Dark Half - Stephen King

This was a great read. So viciously violent. Loved it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post
                      The Dark Half - Stephen King

This was a great read. So viciously violent. Loved it.
                      How similar to the movie is it?

Comment

Personally I feel like the movie is one of the better Stephen King adaptations out there. The only major difference I can remember is that 2 minor characters are combined into 1 character in the movie.
                        57 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

There's some minor changes, but for the most part it follows the storyline. The book just goes into things in much more depth. But the film is enjoyable on its own.

Comment

• Sharcano - Jose Prendes. A book that embraces its utter ridiculousness, easily getting you to ignore it while going along for a roller coaster ride about volcanoes spewing forth lava that can turn itself into sharks. Despite the absurdity, the plot and story are many levels above Asylum/Syfy movies of this ilk (i.e. Sharnado, Lavalantula). Sadly, however, about 2/3 of the way through the book, the story becomes bogged down with unnecessary and overly cliched subplots, and simply runs out the steam that kept it captivating for the first 60% or so. While the writing style is at times more like a drunken frat boy telling a tale around a campfire, unfortunately the mild sprinkling of that style becomes the norm in the last several chapters. What starts out so promising ends disappointingly.

Comment

Working...
                            X