This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Writer's Thread.

Here you can post extracts from your new screenplays, novels, teleplays or something you just jotted down. Also, feel free to ask questions or for some advice on furthering your career/interests as a writer.

I suppose I'll kick start it by asking a question:

I recently emailed the Lisa Richards Agency in Dublin, Ireland, about representation for my Screenwriting, but I've no idea what to expect from the company itself. Should I have my entire screenplay ready, or just key chapters, or just an early draft? If anyone has dealt with a Writer's Agency before, this would be great help.
    2014 Horror Draft:

Psycho (1960) - Alfred Hitchcock
    Bride of Frankenstein (1932) - James Whale
    I Saw the Devil (2010) - Kim Jee-woon
    Body Bags (1993) - John Carpenter
    Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) - Panos Cosmatos
    Halloween II (1981) - Rick Rosenthal
    Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) - David Lynch
    The Descent (2005) - Neil Marshall
    Cemetary Man (1994) - Michele Soavi
    Cabin Fever (2002) - Eli Roth

Hey man. I just signed up here. It's great.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php

Wow...how much did that sound like spam?

Anyway, they do background checks on agencies, publishers and all sorts of stuff, and they go over the proper procedures of getting your stuff out. It's really helpful. Think of it as a BD for writing.

They also have some really cool writing challenges each week to help with your writing and hopefully to remove any writer's block.

I have 3 scripts I'm editing and two that I'm writing on top of a novel and several shorts.
    Assassins"Official Facebook Page"

Check out my NEW official website HERE.

Comment

Originally posted by I am a HORROR movie!!! View Post
      Here you can post extracts from your new screenplays, novels, teleplays or something you just jotted down. Also, feel free to ask questions or for some advice on furthering your career/interests as a writer.

I recently emailed the Lisa Richards Agency in Dublin, Ireland, about representation for my Screenwriting, but I've no idea what to expect from the company itself. Should I have my entire screenplay ready, or just key chapters, or just an early draft? If anyone has dealt with a Writer's Agency before, this would be great help.
      Also, you should have the screenplay as done as possible. You should read up on their website what they want you to send, but it's usually just a query letter and (maybe) an outline or the first 10-20 pages. But, I advise finding out what they want before sending anything.

Comment

You likely won't even get a response, unless the Agency clearly stated they were taking submissions. You usually have to start with a query letter with an outline to the publishing house or agency, and go from there. And yes, the entire thing must be ready. No one in their right fucking mind is going to back you based on excerpts unless you're Stephen King.

It's a tough fucking road. I got signed, got a $5K advance, and flown to Chicago 3 times to meet with editors, only to get cut (fired) 9 months later after the house had a change in "creative direction." Just getting to that point cost me a ton in postage and time and mental anguish.

Here's two places I go for info and such.
        http://www.publishamerica.com/index.asp
        http://www.aar-online.org/mc/page.do - This is the one that got me hooked up.

Also, isn't there a thread for this? Could be wrong.
        And you can call your gang, your posse and the rest of your crew.
        And while you're at it get them addicts and the indigent too.
        I plan to have a whole army by the time that I'm through
        to load their guns with songs they haven't sung

Comment

Originally posted by ArchVile99 View Post
          I'm sorry I have to do this to you ArchVile...but...DON'T DO IT. ANYONE.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...play.php?f=115

When an entire section of a forum is dedicated to beware of anything it's usually a bad sign. There's thousands of posts and I can find other pages explaining why NO ONE should use ANYTHING Publish America says. I'm trying to save anyone I can here.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeBonomo View Post
            Hey man. I just signed up here. It's great.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php

Wow...how much did that sound like spam?

Anyway, they do background checks on agencies, publishers and all sorts of stuff, and they go over the proper procedures of getting your stuff out. It's really helpful. Think of it as a BD for writing.

They also have some really cool writing challenges each week to help with your writing and hopefully to remove any writer's block.

I have 3 scripts I'm editing and two that I'm writing on top of a novel and several shorts.
            That's fucking ace. I've 3 shorts & I'm working on my first feature length. I had a short story published in 2005 when I was 16 as part of this Irish celebration crap, and since then I've had 4 reviews published in the newspaper. Personally, I'm very critical of my own work, so I hardly ever read my screenplays more than 3 times after completing them. I'll get onto these guys.

This thread should be pretty interesting, as I know there are a huge amount of writers on this board.
            2014 Horror Draft:

Comment

That's fucking ace. I've 3 shorts & I'm working on my first feature length. I had a short story published in 2005 when I was 16 as part of this Irish celebration crap, and since then I've had 4 reviews published in the newspaper. Personally, I'm very critical of my own work, so I hardly ever read my screenplays more than 3 times after completing them. I'll get onto these guys.

This thread should be pretty interesting, as I know there are a huge amount of writers on this board.
              It's cool cuz they're run by published authors and they bring agents and publishers on to share their insights. I've got three short stories done. Hoping to get up to 1 to 2 a week and send them out each month. Would be great to have a few lit mag pubs before seeking representation for a full length novel.

Comment

I'm sorry I have to do this to you ArchVile...but...DON'T DO IT. ANYONE.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...play.php?f=115

When an entire section of a forum is dedicated to beware of anything it's usually a bad sign. There's thousands of posts and I can find other pages explaining why NO ONE should use ANYTHING Publish America says. I'm trying to save anyone I can here.
                Nah, s'cool. I take that place with a grain of salt, but they have some contact resources if you dig a bit, just to get a feel for what some markets are looking for. I know all about that place and its faults ....probably should have added a disclaimer.

Comment

You likely won't even get a response, unless the Agency clearly stated they were taking submissions. You usually have to start with a query letter with an outline to the publishing house or agency, and go from there. And yes, the entire thing must be ready.
                  Damn, man. I fucking hope I get some sort of response. I've been dwelling on getting...let me rephrase that, attempting to get an agent for awhile now, I just don't know if my stuff is good enough. Time will tell I suppose.

I'm going to have a look for some of my old short screenplays and post pieces.
                  2014 Horror Draft:

Comment

Nah, s'cool. I take that place with a grain of salt, but they have some contact resources if you dig a bit, just to get a feel for what some markets are looking for. I know all about that place and its faults ....probably should have added a disclaimer.
                    No worries. I did a little research as I was going to use them, and almost shit myself. Wow, what a scam.

Damn, man. I fucking hope I get some sort of response. I've been dwelling on getting...let me rephrase that, attempting to get an agent for awhile now, I just don't know if my stuff is good enough. Time will tell I suppose.

Good luck. I'm planning on months of waiting and lots of rejections for everything I do. Get used to doing both.

Why not? Bust them out and give 'em an overhall.

Comment

No worries. I did a little research as I was going to use them, and almost shit myself. Wow, what a scam.

Good luck. I'm planning on months of waiting and lots of rejections for everything I do. Get used to doing both.

Why not? Bust them out and give 'em an overhall.
                      Definitly. I'd love to read bits & pieces of you're work, too, Bonomo. If you're okay with posting some, of course.
                      2014 Horror Draft:

Comment

Definitly. I'd love to read bits & pieces of you're work, too, Bonomo. If you're okay with posting some, of course.
                        I'll let you know when I've got some polished stuff ready to go. I'm powering through my novel. Im' on 7,292 words out of 80,000. Gotta get it done, then I'll edit.

Comment

I won a writers contest at my university a couple of years back and went to one of those two day writers seminars in Pittsburgh. Robin Cook and Dean Koontz both spoke about the industry and the joint was absolutely crawling with agents and networking possibilities. That's how I got my foot in the door.

It's like any other talent field, the market is so flooded with good writers (and those that think they are) that it's a tough nut to crack. I have a stack of rejection letters 1/2 inch thick, and I've been winning accolades and awards my whole life for this shit.

Comment

I'll let you know when I've got some polished stuff ready to go. I'm powering through my novel. Im' on 7,292 words out of 80,000. Gotta get it done, then I'll edit.
                            It took me soooo fucking long to learn to just write. Even now, I catch myself deleting shit as I go, reworking and rewording...it can be very counter-productive. I try to force myself to save all the second guessing to be done a few dozen pages at a time.

Comment

I won a writers contest at my university a couple of years back and went to one of those two day writers seminars in Pittsburgh. Robin Cook and Dean Koontz both spoke about the industry and the joint was absolutely crawling with agents and networking possibilities. That's how I got my foot in the door.

It's like any other talent field, the market is so flooded with good writers (and those that think they are) that it's a tough nut to crack. I have a stack of rejection letters 1/2 inch thick, and I've been winning accolades and awards my whole life for this shit.
                              Pretty much how it works. I don't have rejections yet because I lost the ones I sent out in college and I restarted writing (other than scripts which I've been working on for a couple years) recently. I'm planning on having a stack of rejections that thick by the end of next year. Rites of passage for the win!

Comment

Working...
                              X