Clear All

dean koontz without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeBonomo View Post
      Lovecraft and Poe >>>> all others...
      This man speaks the truth.
      sigpic

Comment

Barker, easily. The six Books of Blood volumes are probably my favorite pieces in all of literature, and they also provided me with the template to work from for my own short stories. Of course, I worship at the altar of the other early shit (Cabal, Hellbound Heart and most especially The Damnation Game) as well. Also, I might be the only person I've heard from who liked Mister B. Gone...I found it funny as all hell, even when it got serious.

King I enjoy sometimes, but he becomes stale for me. IT, though, is one of the best books ever written.

I'm down with Lovecraft (at the mountains of madness, pickmans model, shadow over innsmouth) and Poe (the pit and the pendulum, masque of the red death, house of usher) as well.
        sigpic "Tina! Gonna get you..."

Comment

Edgar Allen Poe hands down. Just thought I'd mention this but I do own an E.A. Poe book originaly from 1914, near mint condition. Gotta luv used book stores.

Comment

Originally posted by menasyng View Post
            Brian Keene, Anne Rice, and Clive Barker.

...and for a cheap shot I just couldn't resist:

I can tell from your wording.

Also, wrong section
            Haha - that's funny. I was thinking about posting the same thing, but you beat me to it.
            = )

Dean Koontz is definitely my favorite, but I love reading in general. I'm open to any author if the book seems interesting.

Comment

I'm really into Laurell K. Hamilton. I'm not sure if she's really considered horror or more fantasy. She writes about vampires, lycanthropes, fey, and goblins. Just about every mythical creature you can come up with. Her main character in one series is a vampire executioner, who is also a necromancer. She also adds a bit of romance in there with racy sex.

Comment

stephen king
                richard laymon(atm)
                [/QUOTE]

sig courtesy of rayzorsharp www.GuildWars-THCS.com

http://horrorsrollerderby.com/

Comment

I love Poe and Koji Suzuki, although I'm not sure if Suzuki falls into the category.

Originally posted by MikeBonomo View Post
                  Palanuck - is not really horror but horrific.
                  I think you misspelled that, do you mean Palahniuk?

"To die as thee liveth, in beauty
                  As to me, drowneth in temerity"

Comment

I love many of Shaun Hutson's books; especially Slugs & Breeding Ground.
                    Some of James Herbert's books are fantastic, but his recent works seem to have gone down the pooper.
                    "Iím not a fighter, Iím a bleeder. The best I could hope for would be to drown somebody else in my own blood. If I donít drown myself before."

Comment

Hey Rustin. Hot Zone was a great scary book eh? The fact that it's a true story makes it a really scary read.
                      Christopher Fowler is a great British author. I like the Texan style writing Joe R Lansdale and Richard Laymon (his Dreadful Tales are fab). I've read all of James Herbert's, recommend The Others (nothing to do with the Nicole Kidman film BTW).

Comment

LOVECRAFT
                        LETTERBOX'D - DVD/BLU

Comment

As far as actual writing is concerned, very few can touch Ketchum's dialogue and characters (King being the obvious exception). I find a lot of horror writers are pretty lame authors who get off being gory (ie: most of Keene's stuff is pretty popcorn). A few other good ones:

Gary Braunbeck
                          Christopher Golden
                          Richard Laymon
                          A few of Bentley Little's novels (The Revelation, The Summoning), although he's got some shitty ones here and there.

But the king of unique horror has got to be Tom Piccirilli...go read A Choir of Ill Children and tell me it ain't some crazy shit. Poetic and totally bizarre, and one of my favorite authors of any genre.

Infini-tropolis I the blood & the blade

Comment

1.Lovecraft
                            2.Poe
                            3.Algernon Blackwood
                            4.Arthur Machen
                            5.Richard Matheson

Comment

HP Lovecraft
                              Richard Matheson
                              Stephen King
                              Ira Levin -- surprised nobody's mentioned him
                              Robert Bloch
                              Peter Straub

Comment

Bentley Little, hands down.

"We're so precious, aren't we? Everyone's gotta live, everyone's gotta be happy. It's a joke. It's an absolute joke. Evan, that's what you didn't get. You think people are equal? They're not..
                                They're not."

Comment

Working...
                                X