No announcement yet.

Richard Laymon anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yer the travelling vampire show was great!! i love the fact there always seems to be some sort of love story intertwined in the horror and bloodshed, even if some of the more passionate scenes are slightly graphic lol
    "My need to engage in homicidal behavior on a massive scale cannot be corrected, but, ah, I have no other way to fulfill my needs." --Patrick Bateman, American Psycho

Comment

I love this writer..pretty much have read everything by him. It takes someone pretty intense for me to actually put a book down & be grossed out by what I just read. My only issue with RL is that many of his stories include strong violence toward women and eating body flesh.......there have been more then a few times were I seriously had to think & digest what I was actually reading. I am not horrified easily....infact it takes something every gory to push me over the edge...hes never gotten me there but right towards it. All in all his writing is exceptionally scary & dark. One to read!

Comment

Originally posted by SelfConfessedHorrorAdict View Post
        does any one know wot the latest book released from him is?? the latest one i got is the glory bus
        help??
        I just picked up his latest rerelease. It's called Dark Mountain. The one before that was The Woods Are Dark.

www.bloodwavedvd.com

Comment

Originally posted by BloodwaveDVD View Post
          I just picked up his latest rerelease. It's called Dark Mountain. The one before that was The Woods Are Dark.
          Dark mountain is an old one, as is the woods are dark due to the fact that it was published in 1987. i was wondering if there were any after glory bus out in 2005
          "My need to engage in homicidal behavior on a massive scale cannot be corrected, but, ah, I have no other way to fulfill my needs." --Patrick Bateman, American Psycho

Comment

Laymon could really write a great story. Sometimes though I wished he would'nt use rape and sexual abuse so often,but still he had quite a body of work.

Two personal favs: Savage and All Hallows Eve
            Last edited by scream4melongbeach; 05-29-2009, 08:25 PM.
            sigpicMy , What big teeth you have.

Comment

I like his writing style. The only books I have read by him are The Traveling Vampire Circus (I think that's the right title) and Come Out Tonight.

Comment

Richard Laymon was one of the best and most underrated horror writers around. I have the complete Laymon collection, published in the UK by Headline, and I always have one volume lying beside me, ready to pick up read. So far, I've read 90% of his novels, and am in the process of reading The Woods Are Dark.

My favourites are:

The Beast House Quadrilogy
                Come Out Tonight
                Quake
                Island
                Darkness, Tell Us
                Beware!

And a load of others!

If you haven't read him, read him. If you have read him, read him more!

I am Damned Of Hell... here to tear your soul apart!

Comment

i really like his work. i have read a dozen or so of his books and have liked all of them. my favs would be island and beware
                  Posting in spam threads does a lot of good..
                  this made me laugh, because this response was posted in a spam thread

Comment

I'm a big fan of Stephen King, Dean Koontz and Jack Ketchum, so decided to give Laymon a try.

Searching for some books of his I came across an eBay auction and bought a job lot of 15 Laymon books for 16. (pretty awesome huh?)

the books are;

1/ Midnight's Lair
                    2/ Come out Tonight
                    3/ Amara
                    4/ Body Rides
                    5/ The Midnight Tour
                    6/ Dark Mountain
                    7/ The Traveling Vampire Show
                    8/ Out are the Lights
                    9/ The Woods are Dark
                    10/ Quake
                    11/ The Stake
                    12/ Flesh
                    13/ Beware
                    14/ Night Show
                    15/ Island

Any fans know if this is a good collection?

Can't wait to get started, should only take me many, many months to read them all

Comment

I've read...um, I think it was Beast House, I'm not near my bookshelf right now so I can't check, but it was an alright book
                      I've also read Savage, it was okay too, seemed more like an adventure book than horror. Next Laymon book I'll read will be One Rainy Night
                      sigpic

The Strangers (10/10)
                      The Dark Knight (10/10)
                      Silent Hill (10/10)
                      Coraline (10/10)
                      The Uninvited (2/10)
                      Disaster Movie (4/10)
                      The Unborn (5/10)
                      Prayers for Bobby (7/10)
                      The Day the Earth Stood Still (remake) (4/10)
                      Mirrors (remake) (5/10)

Comment

Originally posted by Spun View Post
                        I'm a big fan of Stephen King, Dean Koontz and Jack Ketchum, so decided to give Laymon a try.

Searching for some books of his I came across an eBay auction and bought a job lot of 15 Laymon books for 16. (pretty awesome huh?)

the books are;

1/ Midnight's Lair
                        2/ Come out Tonight
                        3/ Amara
                        4/ Body Rides
                        5/ The Midnight Tour
                        6/ Dark Mountain
                        7/ The Traveling Vampire Show
                        8/ Out are the Lights
                        9/ The Woods are Dark
                        10/ Quake
                        11/ The Stake
                        12/ Flesh
                        13/ Beware
                        14/ Night Show
                        15/ Island

Any fans know if this is a good collection?

Can't wait to get started, should only take me many, many months to read them all
                        For that price, yes. Im not familiar with Amara, but I think Out are the Lights, Quake, flesh, and night show are OOP.

Comment

So I picked up 'Beware!' from the local second hand bookshop yesterday. I finished it this morning (short book, didn't take long) and I've got to say I wasn't that impressed. It read like it was written by a horny school boy to be honest and I found myself sniggering at a couple of lines. If anyone out there who knows the type of shit I'm into and has any recommendations then I'd love to hear them.

Comment

Originally posted by KINGHORROR View Post
                            It read like it was written by a horny school boy to be honest
                            A horny school boy who was forced to sleep with his mother and now hates all women while still being obsessed with them sexually maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitBreast View Post
                              A horny school boy who was forced to sleep with his mother and now hates all women while still being obsessed with them sexually maybe.
                              The funniest thing was how he portrays the women in his books. This woman had just been raped and over the next couple of pages she's considering sleeping with her neighbor, seriously, what the fuck. Mr Laymon obviously didn't get enough at college, he seems to think women are constantly just walking around 'wanting it' 24/7.

Comment

I just finished reading Beware! today and I enjoyed the first half but after the hotel it quickly became kinda stupid.

Like you guys above said, the portrayal of women was really poor. Rape and murder happened so often to little effect, it became like minor inconveniences.

I'm still hopeful for Laymons other books though as it seems like literatures equivelant of B horror movie cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X