Richard Laymon anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spun View Post
    I just finished reading Beware! today and I enjoyed the first half but after the hotel it quickly became kinda stupid.

Like you guys above said, the portrayal of women was really poor. Rape and murder happened so often to little effect, it became like minor inconveniences.

I'm still hopeful for Laymons other books though as it seems like literatures equivelant of B horror movie cheese.
    Both of them that I have read are packed full of rape and sleazy sex scenes. Even when the women aren't getting raped they seem to be fucking everyone.

Comment

Why havent Richard Laymons books been made into more films

Love Laymon (R.I.P) read most of the books would make great movies, especially Endless Night,Quake, Savage ( great twist on the jack the ripper story) just a few,,,,, has any films been made? i remember one with Jeff Goldblum was that Laymon or Koontz, .. (cant remember what its called).. Anyway hes a fab author and would love to see his stories ( even the short ones) made into films, in my opinion better that Stephen King ( sorry SK fans just my opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by entrail View Post
        Love Laymon (R.I.P) read most of the books would make great movies, especially Endless Night,Quake, Savage ( great twist on the jack the ripper story) just a few,,,,, has any films been made? i remember one with Jeff Goldblum was that Laymon or Koontz, .. (cant remember what its called).. Anyway hes a fab author and would love to see his stories ( even the short ones) made into films, in my opinion better that Stephen King ( sorry SK fans just my opinion)
        The movie is called "Hideaway". Koontz wrote it.
        Last edited by scream4melongbeach; 08-25-2009, 08:35 PM.
        sigpicMy , What big teeth you have.

Comment

I read Out Are The Lights when I was a teenager, and quite liked it. I have read two of his books since then - Night Show, and I can't remember the name of the other one - anyway, I wasn't impressed with either of them.

I don't know, I guess now that I'm older I find his works a bit 'immature'?

Women are represented rather poorly in his novels, it's hard to take his female characters seriously.
          i'm not bad, i'm just misunderstood...

http://freaq90.dvdaf.com/owned

Comment

Currently reading 'The Cellar' as I didn't think it would be fair to judge him on just one book. WTF? How did this guy ever get published? He's a terrible writer, really, really bad. My nephew has a better hold of the English language and he's madly autistic. After this book thats it, I think I've seen all this Laymon guy has to offer.

EDIT Fuck it, I literally can't bring myself to read anymore of this shit. I can feel my brain shrinking with every sentence. Fucking awful.
            Last edited by KINGHORROR; 09-13-2009, 04:49 AM.

Comment

So I was wanting to pick up something by Richard Laymon on Amazon but nothing was available unless you bougt it used from an amazon seller.

I did find this and it sounds cool, but it's not available till September....

Has anyone read this? I see it used to be available.... What are some other good picks? I'm going to Half Price books later and might try to find some of his novels...

Comment

Originally posted by The Bear Jew View Post
                So I was wanting to pick up something by Richard Laymon on Amazon but nothing was available unless you bougt it used from an amazon seller.

I did find this and it sounds cool, but it's not available till September....

Has anyone read this? I see it used to be available.... What are some other good picks? I'm going to Half Price books later and might try to find some of his novels...
                I read it a few years ago. It was ok, nothing really amazing but most definetly not his worst.
                sigpicMy , What big teeth you have.

Comment

Originally posted by scream4melongbeach View Post
                  I read it a few years ago. It was ok, nothing really amazing but most definetly not his worst.
                  Which of his novels are a good place to start? Which are your favorites?

Comment

Which of his novels are a good place to start? Which are your favorites?
                    Ive read:
                    Come Out Tonight(first one)
                    Endless Night
                    One Rainy Night
                    Woods are Dark
                    Darkness Tell Us
                    Id say try any of those top ones.
                    Beast House

Half of Into The Fire(just seemed really predictable)
                    In the Dark(too long)

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmb View Post
                      Ive read:
                      Come Out Tonight(first one)
                      Endless Night
                      One Rainy Night
                      Woods are Dark
                      Darkness Tell Us
                      Id say try any of those top ones.
                      Beast House

Half of Into The Fire(just seemed really predictable)
                      In the Dark(too long)
                      Thanks for info man! I went to the Library and picked up the uncut version of The Woods Are Dark, sounds pretty badass!

Comment

Thanks for info man! I went to the Library and picked up the uncut version of The Woods Are Dark, sounds pretty badass!
                        Traveling Vampire Show is his best work. It kind of has a Stand By Me meets vampires vibe. This novel stands apart from the rest. Most of his work is heavy on violence and too much rape, but this one is a bit more subtle. It focuses on the suspense, and the over the top violence takes a back seat.

Night in the Lonesome October is good too. Probably my second favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by lonniedarko View Post
                          Traveling Vampire Show is his best work. It kind of has a Stand By Me meets vampires vibe. This novel stands apart from the rest. Most of his work is heavy on violence and too much rape, but this one is a bit more subtle. It focuses on the suspense, and the over the top violence takes a back seat.

Night in the Lonesome October is good too. Probably my second favorite.
                          I was going to mention TVS, but i havent read it yet, even though Ive had it for over a year. I just ordered Rage by Steve Gerlach and Ill probably start that after Skin Medicine by Tim Curran. In the past 24 hours, Ive discovered Steve Gerlach and Brett Mccbean, who sound like Richard Laymon clones.

Comment

Originally posted by freaq90 View Post
                            I don't know, I guess now that I'm older I find his works a bit 'immature'?

Women are represented rather poorly in his novels, it's hard to take his female characters seriously.
                            I agree entirely.

Originally posted by KINGHORROR View Post
                            Currently reading 'The Cellar' as I didn't think it would be fair to judge him on just one book. WTF? How did this guy ever get published? He's a terrible writer, really, really bad. My nephew has a better hold of the English language and he's madly autistic. After this book thats it, I think I've seen all this Laymon guy has to offer.

EDIT Fuck it, I literally can't bring myself to read anymore of this shit. I can feel my brain shrinking with every sentence. Fucking awful.
                            The only book I've ever read of his is The Cellar, and I absolutely hated it. I read it in a few hours and regretted wasting my time. But, Brian Keene is one of my absolute favorite horror writers, and he swears by Laymon, so I've picked up another Laymon book (Bite), and I hope it'll be better... Though I kind of doubt it.
                            “This is a place of the dead. We’re all dead here.”
                            —Ygor, Son of Frankenstein (1939)

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmb View Post
                              I was going to mention TVS, but i havent read it yet, even though Ive had it for over a year. I just ordered Rage by Steve Gerlach and Ill probably start that after Skin Medicine by Tim Curran. In the past 24 hours, Ive discovered Steve Gerlach and Brett Mccbean, who sound like Richard Laymon clones.
                              I'm about 51 pages into The Woods Are Dark and am really enjoying this book.

Probably check out Cuts and The Beast House next!

Hey aaronmb have you read The Devil Next Door or Biohazard by Tim Curran? I've never checked him out before...

Comment

I'm about 51 pages into The Woods Are Dark and am really enjoying this book.

Probably check out Cuts and The Beast House next!

Hey aaronmb have you read The Devil Next Door or Biohazard by Tim Curran? I've never checked him out before...
                                Yeah, both were awesome. The only book of his I didnt care for was Dead Sea, since it just felt too long. His books, along with pretty much all those other authors that are 'internet only', are slightly bigger than a paperback. The font on Dead Sea was smaller and with long paragraphs. Resurrection was really good too, but the length might turn people off(about 660 pages).

Comment

Working...
                                X