No announcement yet.

E-Readers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot wait to get mine. I don't want a touch screen though, I don't like touch screens, I love buttons! Shiny, candy-like buttons!

Comment

Hoping to get the new kindle this Christmas off the wife, love books and if I had a spare room I would start a library but we have to accept e-readers are more convenient, I dont use the iPhone app as the screen is to small and you turn a page every few seconds.

My only real gripe with e-readers is the price. New tech or not it simply does not cost amazon or Sony 150 or $300 to build and distribute these very basic (in modern technology) devices on the scale they are produced from factory to shop max 50 a unit. I get really hacked off at how these companies rip us off all the time.... And secondly there not fucking new anymore they have been out what 3 years and yet the price has never come down and it's this reason I am getting rid of my iPhone as soon as my contract is up

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleBase View Post
        Hoping to get the new kindle this Christmas off the wife, love books and if I had a spare room I would start a library but we have to accept e-readers are more convenient, I dont use the iPhone app as the screen is to small and you turn a page every few seconds.

My only real gripe with e-readers is the price. New tech or not it simply does not cost amazon or Sony 150 or $300 to build and distribute these very basic (in modern technology) devices on the scale they are produced from factory to shop max 50 a unit. I get really hacked off at how these companies rip us off all the time.... And secondly there not fucking new anymore they have been out what 3 years and yet the price has never come down and it's this reason I am getting rid of my iPhone as soon as my contract is up
        The Kindle is $79 now. When I bought two years ago I believe I paid $250.

Comment

Originally posted by Helle View Post
          I use my iphone as an e-reader. They have an app for everything now a days.
          Isn't that to fucking small? I can't imagine reading a book on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cubbiechris View Post
            The Kindle is $79 now. When I bought two years ago I believe I paid $250.
            In the uk the smaller new kindle 89 but the original is still 150 that's scandalous

Comment

I don't consider a phone to be an e-reader. It is too small for starters and a real e-reader is a dedicated devise that attempts to replicate the look of the printed word on screen so an iPad isn't one either.
              As for the price I have saved a lot of money on expensive import books though on the "downside" I am reading about twice as much as I was

The shops here are now selling refurbished Kindle 3s about half price.
              Last edited by Dark Mark; 12-15-2011, 03:29 PM.
              Join me in The Mortuary

Comment

Dark Mark, I agree about the phone/e-reader thing. I have a Nook and love it. It's made for that purpose and it really shows it. Of course, I have no experience trying to read off of a phone, so I'm sort of speaking out of my rear end. It just doesn't sound like it would be the same.

Comment

I have good eyesight and tend to hold my phone close to my face when I use it. It was never an issue.

Anyway, now that I use a program that only shows one word at a time, the font is huge.

For me, the uncomfortable part is staring at something backlit for hours. It feels a bit like your eyes are being scraped out. When you read prose, you stare. Your eyes move a lot when browsing a webpage, but not when reading fiction.

e-ink is like reading from newsprint-quality paper. Much kinder to the old retinas.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleBase View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Image-...4380983&sr=1-1

I got this for $45. Despite the bad ratings, I think it works fine. It took a little getting used to, but once I figured it out, its simple.

Comment

Not really, you can adjust the size of the font if you need to. I can understand how it might bother some people but I don't mind it. I haven't got around to getting an actual e-reader yet. The kobo looks good.

Comment

fuck e-readers. why would anyone support an industry that is destined to make books become extinct???

when all the lights go out, and the batteries die on our kindles, we'll be left with nothing to read. Why can't people just read books???!!!! Has turning paper pages become such a chore!??!!!?! ....oh...but we won't need to worry about that right? energy and electricity will magically last forever and ever and ever and ever...
                        Last edited by Danker; 01-08-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danker View Post
                          fuck e-readers. why would anyone support an industry that is destined to make books become extinct???

when all the lights go out, and the batteries die on our kindles, we'll be left with nothing to read. Why can't people just read books???!!!! Has turning paper pages become such a chore!??!!!?! ....oh...but we won't need to worry about that right? energy and electricity will magically last forever and ever and ever and ever...
                          that's pretty epic right there

having said that I love my Kindle

Comment

Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                            that's pretty epic right there

having said that I love my Kindle
                            nuclear holocaust is impending. what a time to rush off and invest all of our collective energy as a species into things that become nonexistent with one flick of a switch.

I'm trying to "out-epic" myself

Comment

Originally posted by Danker View Post
                              nuclear holocaust is impending. what a time to rush off and invest all of our collective energy as a species into things that become nonexistent with one flick of a switch.

I'm trying to "out-epic" myself
                              If nuclear war is about to start, I'm sure there is little to nothing I can do about it.

Until that time I'll enjoy my Kindle, which gives me access to an almost infinite number of novels and publications.

Comment

Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                                If nuclear war is about to start, I'm sure there is little to nothing I can do about it.

Until that time I'll enjoy my Kindle, which gives me access to an almost infinite number of novels and publications.
                                You can still hope to be one of the remaining who will nurture this world once again in favor of intelligent mammalia. Protected within the twisted caverns of Planet Earth's underbelly I wish upon you libraries of printed words that will aid in the manifestation of new ideas that will lay the foundations for vast hopeful beginnings and equally devastating ends.

Comment

Working...
                                X