E-Readers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Readers

So we have the Sony E-Reader, Amazon Kindle, and Barnes N Nobles Nook. It is likely that Google and Apple will both put out one too. What does everyone think of them? I was thinking of asking for the Kindle for Christmas.

I have a Sony Reader and I love it. It's not wireless and that was one of the major reasons I chose it over the Kindle. Plus the price was great.

The Obligatory DVD List - I'm not a trader. Just a show-off.

"The three most terrifying things in the world are werewolves, clowns and unplanned pregnancy."

Comment

Originally posted by AnneGwish View Post
      I have a Sony Reader and I love it. It's not wireless and that was one of the major reasons I chose it over the Kindle. Plus the price was great.
      Is it like reading for extended periods of time from a computer monitor though? Like do you get a headache after an hour or so?

Idk, I do like the idea of storing novels on an ipod like device, but I still do love collecting hardcover versions of my favorite novels though. Actually I like collecting books in general, idk why but I'm a fan of obtaining/trading for previously owned books for some reason.
      'life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come'

- Lester Freamon

Comment

It's not really like that because the screen isn't lit up like a computer monitor. The Reader uses a technology called Vizplex. It's supposed to simulate the look of ink on paper and it does a pretty good job of that. I imagine that the Kindle is the same way.

I love having books too but we we're starting to run out of room for them unfortunately. Right now we have five filled bookcases of books, games, and dvd's. We're only going to have room for one more. The Reader seemed like a good alternative. I have 26 books on there at the moment and they claim it can hold about 350.

The Obligatory DVD List - I'm not a trader. Just a show-off.

"The three most terrifying things in the world are werewolves, clowns and unplanned pregnancy."

Comment

Apple is rumored to be releasing a competing product. There aren't many details known, including when exactly it may be available.

This is the picture I see most often of what it might look like.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
            Is it like reading for extended periods of time from a computer monitor though? Like do you get a headache after an hour or so?

Idk, I do like the idea of storing novels on an ipod like device, but I still do love collecting hardcover versions of my favorite novels though. Actually I like collecting books in general, idk why but I'm a fan of obtaining/trading for previously owned books for some reason.
            I'm on the same boat as you bro. The idea of storing books is amazing and like you I love collecting books, and movies.

Comment

i was considering buying my gf one of these for christmas, but guess what, not available in Canada.

Comment

The biggest advantage for me is also no collection space for books anymore. I heard they are developing a Kindle App for iTouch.
                http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000301301

Not sure I would want to read that shit on my iPod though.

Comment

Originally posted by jarofsap View Post
                  i was considering buying my gf one of these for christmas, but guess what, not available in Canada.
                  www.amazon.ca

Comment

Originally posted by mmyersisgod View Post
                    I heard they are developing a Kindle App for iTouch.
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000301301
                    That's been available on the iPhone/iPod for a while now. I have it, though don't use it that often.

Comment

Originally posted by brain dead View Post
                      wow, only a few weeks ago it was unavailable.
                      doesn't look like we get the free web browsing though. bummer.

Comment

Getting a Kindle for X-mas! Can't wait! No more lugging around books, the dictionary comes in handy, and changing fonts is a god send!

Comment

I am gonna wait for Google and Apple to put their's out.

Comment

The E-reader does not use pixel rendered fonts which is why it does not effect your eyes to read with them. And since there is no active current once charged, it's not even an electronic device most of the time.

When I first got my Kindle I even tried to turn pages it felt so natural.

The Kindle is now down from $350 to $250 and will continue to drop as new technology comes out, but I don't expect a decent touch screen device to come out I'd be happy with for a while.

Maybe Apple will come out with a Kindle touchscreen that has all the functionality of an Ipod, but even then I have that with my iPhone, so I don't know what they'd have to do.
                            KITTYSAFE.NET
                            Facebook | Website
                            | For Mews, News, Reviews, Poetry, Music and Ideas |

Comment

I have had my Kindle for over a year now and love it. It isn't like reading a computer screen at all, it has a white screen that is similar to reading a book but you can adjust the font size and all that.

They have deals on books from time to time and classics are frequently one dollar, so there are tons of deals to get. My library is going to be checking out kindle books (not exactly sure how), but that will take care of the cost for me.

This little gadget is a blast.

Comment

Working...
                              X