Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most shocking and disturbing books you've ever read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stalkerjunior View Post
    The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski - a vital piece of literature, a disturbing piece of literature. Whoever wrote it.

Kosinski didn't start farming out his work in secret until late in his career, so it's safe to assume that The Painted Bird is all him. I agree with you, it's a fine work of modern literature.

Read Jonathan Littell's The Kindly Ones, equally brilliant, equally disturbing.

Comment

There were times I literally had to put the book down.
      54 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

One sick son of a bitch...

Comment

Mein Kampf..

Comment

Originally posted by Blastalot View Post
            Mein Kampf..
            Christ.. I forgot about that one, that book should be renamed "The rantings of a mentally challenged mad-man". At one point I turned that book into a game, "when's the next period going to come?". Chilling to say the least, he warned the world, but no one believed him..

Comment

Well it had lots of effect on my family, considering I'm Dutch..

Comment

Originally posted by Blastalot View Post
                Well it had lots of effect on my family, considering I'm Dutch..
                No doubt, he put a stain all over Europe and beyond, any book dealing with the horror that ensued in his bloody reign of power is quite shocking/disturbing.

Comment

My picks would be...
                  The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. I had the chance to tell Jack Ketchum that this book shook me silly.
                  The Demon by Hubert Selby Jr. Highly recommended for fans of American Psycho
                  The Bible by various writers. A compilation of Greek, Egyptian, Roman, Jewish, Persian (and it goes on like this) mythos all re-written under different names for the protagonist and antagonists. While this is a re-make, it still stands as a disturbing piece of literature that scares me like no other book does.
                  Last edited by Ad Noctum; 09-09-2010, 01:06 AM. Reason: Oh the grammar of it all!

Comment

Originally posted by sherman View Post
                    Christ.. I forgot about that one, that book should be renamed "The rantings of a mentally challenged mad-man". At one point I turned that book into a game, "when's the next period going to come?". Chilling to say the least, he warned the world, but no one believed him..
                    For me, mein kampf is actually his calmest and most sane musings, it was his speeches that became increasingly unhinged. It's scary how much i agreed with him when reading this. Hitler had the knack of seeing everything in black and white (and this is perhaps the most disturbing thing for me about it), it's that kind of ruthless determination in the quest to achieve your goals and targets that is worshipped in the business world today. The whole world is as mad as Hitler

Comment

Eric the Pie

Technically not a book, but the short story "Eric the Pie" still makes me cringe just thinking about it. Graham Masterton wrote it and you can find it on Google.
                      American Psycho is disturbing, if you manage to get through the first half. The first half is disturbing too due to it's complete lack of emotion, but it doesn't get reaally yucky until the last third or so (give or take, haven't read it for a while). I will never ever look at a jar of Grey Poupon mustard the same again!
                      De Sade wrote a couple of really twisted stuff. If one tries to find the book Salo, you might have to look for a very long time - the title of the book is The 120 days of Sodom while Salo is the (very disturbing) Pasolini movie...

We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver is also really disturbing. Not as explicable as the others, but it really crept up on me.

Comment

Has to be "Helter Skelter" for me. Gave me the heebie jeebies.

Comment

The was a book from the mid 90's called Inside the Works that had novellas by Tom Piccirrilli, Gerlad Hourner and Edward Lee that were all very nasty. Ed Lee's The Pig still remains one of the most f**ked up pieces of fiction I've ever read.
                          sigpicMy , What big teeth you have.

Comment

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis and Off Season by Jack Ketchum.
                            54 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                              American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis and Off Season by Jack Ketchum.
                              This.

The short story "Guts" in Chuck Palahniuks' book "Haunted" is pretty fucking disturbing and gross.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                              I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

I guess the most disgusting books I have ever read were "120 Days of Sodom" and "Philosophy in the Boudoir" by the Marquis de Sade... when I read "Venus in Furs" by Leopold Sacher-Masoch I was bored out of my mind!!

I read "Satan's Underground" by Lauren Stratford.. it was pretty disturbing because it was a true story.... however at the end of the book it became a "Witnessing" book....

"Genie : A Scientific Tragedy" by Russ Rymer was pretty disturbing as well.. as it deals with child abuse (again a true story)...

I tried to read "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis but the whole chapter on why he liked Phil Collins.. just killed it.... get on with the horror!!!
                                Last edited by TheDarkPoet41; 02-11-2012, 08:41 AM.

Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.

Comment

Working...
                                X