Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the most shocking and disturbing books you've ever read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDarkPoet41 View Post

I tried to read "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis but the whole chapter on why he liked Phil Collins.. just killed it.... get on with the horror!!!
    Lol! That was a complete kind of horror altogether,the horror of poor fucking taste in music. I think it was artfully done on how he had one or two chapters on something so benal such as the phil collins thing or what clothes to dress in etc. Then suddenly out of the blue he's power drilling a girls teeth out so that he can reach his hand down her throat to grab hold of her tubes and yank them, so he and turn her inside out.

If you want something more sustained and icky then try Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite. Overly graphic scenes of homosexuality and necrophilia as well, so bad you can almost smell the corpse garden in the green house "getting ripe". It's basically about two gay necrophiliac serial killers who fall in love and look for the perfect victim that they can share.
    Something I definitely would not read again by choice.

Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 02-12-2012, 05:38 AM.

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Comment

X Factor Zombie Massacre by Stewart King. It's out now on Kindle...really gory stuff. But funny as well.

Comment

The Bible

Comment

Originally posted by Mogwai View Post
          The Bible

Comment

The Cellar by Richard Laymon had a character that was completely awful. He did some vile stuff, he raped his young daughter, he really abused his wife, he kidnapped a young girl from another family and killed her family and abused and raped her over the course of a few days.. just vile stuff.

Llama, a short story by Bentley Little, from The Collection is one of those stories that always sticks with you due to a very gruesome scene, and just a generally disturbing story. The main character slices the belly of a woman and proceeds to fuck it. Just messed up.
            "It's not the end of the world, it's just the end of the day."

Comment

The End of Alice by A.M. Homes - Told from the POV of a pedophile in jail reminiscing about his life and how he got there. Very disturbing stuff: pedophilia, incest, murder, etc. One of my favorite books.

Crossed by Garth Ennis - Interesting take on post-apocalyptic scenerio where people turn into cannibalistic rapists. It gets comically over the top sometimes, but overall pretty good.

The Collector by John Fowles - Man holds woman he's obsessed over captive in his basement. It's told from both of the points of view.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - Humbert Humbert is in love with adolescent Dolores (Lolita) and, after her mother dies, he kidnaps her.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski - Crazy book about a couple finding their house is much bigger on the inside than the outside. Kind of like a found footage movie but much more involved and infinitely better.

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn - Dysfunctional family within a family of carnies.

Misery and Gerald's Game by Stephen King - Both really got under my skin.

Josie and Jack by Kelly Braffet - Creepily close siblings, kind of a dark modern retelling of Hansel and Gretel.

I second American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis and Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. The Girl Next Door seriously tops my list. It's the only book to ever make me completely lose my appetite and force me to read it in a matter of hours.

I've been recommended Cows by Matthew Stokoe and The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinksi, but I haven't read them yet.

Comment

When I was in high school, I read American Psycho. I would read it in class and when I came to a particularly disgusting part, I would tell the person next to me, "Read from here... to here." I would sit and watch their facial expression change from curious to revolted to total shock. Then, I would laugh. Good times.

Comment

act of love by joe lansdale. an excellent book, riveting, violent, and unapologetic. there is one section in particular, where the killer's emergent habits are described, one of his earliest acts, and it's completely, completely fucked up. disturbing as only the great joe lansdale can do...

Wes Craven, RIP
                  1939-2015

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Rex View Post
                    When I was in high school, I read American Psycho. I would read it in class and when I came to a particularly disgusting part, I would tell the person next to me, "Read from here... to here." I would sit and watch their facial expression change from curious to revolted to total shock. Then, I would laugh. Good times.
                    I did the exact same thing.

Love that fucking book.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                    I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

In terms of disturbing I would say right off the book that comes to mind is Memnoch The Devil by Anne Rice. It is book 5 in the Vampire Chronicles. There isnt much action in the book but 3/4 of the book is Lestat having a conversation with the devil and some of the things he shows Lestat are very brutal and hard to read.

Comment

Off Season by Jack Ketchum. Very primitive and unflinching like revenge films and a riveting read. I was gutted that the sequel "The Offspring" was made into a film instead and is apparently very average. Haven't read the book or seen the film myself though.

The Girl Next Door is getting a lot of mentions so I should check that out.

Comment

Working...
                        X