Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some of your favorite short stories?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm at work at the mo so can't remember the titles, but three fave horror shorts writers I like are
    Edward Lee
    R Chetwynd Hayes
    HP Lovecraft
    sigpic

JOIN ME http://www.myspace.com/crawlerschaos
    www.facebook jamie creepycrawler dunn

"Either kill me, or like me as I am, because I'll be damned if I ever change..." Marquis de Sade

"You cannot love everyone; it is ridiculous to think you can. If you love everyone and everything you lose your natural powers of selection and wind up being a pretty poor judge of character.." Anton Lavey

Comment

I have a problem. I have been reading regularly for about 20 years. And as much as i can dig into hard reads and come out fine I find it impossible to read Edgar Allen Poe. And I am fascinated by his work. Anything translated to film has been great. Knowing what the stories are about makes me continue to try. Does anyone have any advice on how to understand his stories? I remember in high school I zipped through the crap they made us read with no issue. (I did enjoy Animal Farm, Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies) but when it got to Shakespeare I totally tanked. Could not comprehend it for the life of me. I cheated to pass my class that year.

Anyway, I want to be able to read Poe. I have a book of all his works. Can anyone help?

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Crowley View Post
        I have a problem. I have been reading regularly for about 20 years. And as much as i can dig into hard reads and come out fine I find it impossible to read Edgar Allen Poe. And I am fascinated by his work. Anything translated to film has been great. Knowing what the stories are about makes me continue to try. Does anyone have any advice on how to understand his stories? I remember in high school I zipped through the crap they made us read with no issue. (I did enjoy Animal Farm, Catcher in the Rye and Lord of the Flies) but when it got to Shakespeare I totally tanked. Could not comprehend it for the life of me. I cheated to pass my class that year.

Anyway, I want to be able to read Poe. I have a book of all his works. Can anyone help?
        I know what you mean, sometimes I find things neigh impossible to read due to style, but not content.

My suggestion, which has worked for me sometimes is to watch a movie of it or more modernly written version of it and then read the original work. Maybe even go through a Cliffnotes booklet of it, never used one myself tho so dunno how useful that would be.
        Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
        Chemical Romance Welcome To The Black Parade
        Beatfreakz Somebody's Watching Me
        The Darkness I Believe In A Thing Called Love
        Boogie Pimps Somebody To Love
        Nightcore Land Of Confusion
        Bif Naked Moment Of Weakness
        Rend Collective My Lighthouse
        Dickies Killer Klowns From Outer Space
        Garbage Special
        Cardigans My Favorite Game
        Living Colour Cult of Personality
        Limousines Internet Killed The Video Star
        Alien Ant Farm Smooth Criminal
        Sasha D Russian Girls
        Scatman John Scatman

Comment

I considered doing just that but for one thing I have an issue reading things after I've seen them on screen. I just think it takes some of the appeal out of it. As for the cliff notes, definitely would help me.

I guess my problem is I really want to learn how to read that old english style. One of my favorite stories of all time, The Dark Tower, is inspired by the poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" and I don't get it. At all.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Childe...ark_Tower_Came

It's like trying to learn a new language which is never something I've been good at. But I want to in the worst way.

Comment

Well, I do love Shakespeare, but It's not always easy to absorb. I loved that one version of Romeo and Juliet with DiCaprio because the modern visuals made it easy to understand the dialogue.

And then there was that version of Merchant of Venice with Al Pachino that was just impossible to keep up with, but I loved the book in highschool. (They talked pretty fast and the next line came quick too )

I get what you mean about seeing and reading, but it worked for me with Count of Monte Cristo and Pride and Prejudice. To each his own of course, but it helped me. Of course those had great movie versions too.
            Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
            Chemical Romance Welcome To The Black Parade
            Beatfreakz Somebody's Watching Me
            The Darkness I Believe In A Thing Called Love
            Boogie Pimps Somebody To Love
            Nightcore Land Of Confusion
            Bif Naked Moment Of Weakness
            Rend Collective My Lighthouse
            Dickies Killer Klowns From Outer Space
            Garbage Special
            Cardigans My Favorite Game
            Living Colour Cult of Personality
            Limousines Internet Killed The Video Star
            Alien Ant Farm Smooth Criminal
            Sasha D Russian Girls
            Scatman John Scatman

Comment

I may have no choice but to do the things you've suggested. At the very least read cliff notes. maybe it will help be absorb the material at the same time teach me how to actually understand it.

It kills me. Poe is the very essence of what intrigues me in literature and I just can't understand it. I've been trying since I was about 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Crowley View Post
                I may have no choice but to do the things you've suggested. At the very least read cliff notes. maybe it will help be absorb the material at the same time teach me how to actually understand it.

It kills me. Poe is the very essence of what intrigues me in literature and I just can't understand it. I've been trying since I was about 12.
                Hey, don't beat yourself up over it. You don't have to like everything, even POE. But if you must, start off with something more popular like The Raven or The Tell-Tale Heart and if you still don't like it or get it then don't worry about it. Your entitled to have your tastes and preferences and maybe POE just isn't your thing.

When I was a young girl I fell in love with the Horror genre the moment I read Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. I was completely horrified by the story and read it over and over. It's my absolute fave.

Comment

the mist and apt pupil

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
                  "I will do what Queens do. I will rule."

Comment

In no particular order:
                    "Man from the South" by Roald Dahl
                    "The Outsider" by H.P. Lovecraft
                    "The Yattering and Jack" by Clive Barker
                    "The Cask of Amontillado" by Edgar Allan Poe
                    "Keepsakes and Treasures: A Love Story" by Neil Gaiman
                    "Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk
                    "Survivor Type" by Stephen King

Comment

"A Good Man Is Hard to Find" by Flannery O'Connor

"Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?" by Joyce Carol Oates

both are excellent psychological thriller, intense short stories. Extremely popular and easy to find as well.

Comment

The Box by jack Ketchum
                        One for the Road by Stephen King
                        Rawhead Rex by Clive Barker
                        The Wrong Guy by Edward Lee
                        sigpicMy , What big teeth you have.

Comment

Working...
                        X