Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    FYI, folks. In the Sunday, March 14th issue of The New York Times Book Review, Stephen King does a lengthy review of Joyce Carol Oates' new novel The Accursed.

    Comment


    • #17
      I haven't read the "Shining" sequel yet, but I am curious about it. I run hot and cold on King these days, though he is who inspired me to become a writer.
      A Dead Friend

      Melinda

      The Last Picture Blog

      Nothing Men: A Novel of Horror

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Doug Brunell View Post
        I haven't read the "Shining" sequel yet, but I am curious about it. I run hot and cold on King these days, though he is who inspired me to become a writer.
        It's not out yet.


        Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
        I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

        Comment


        • #19
          The long anticipated Dr. Sleep is getting released September 24. Anybody plan on reading it? I haven't read The Shining but I'm kinda tempted to so I can read this.

          Here's the synopsis:

          "The instantly riveting Doctor Sleep picks up the story of the now middle-aged Dan, working at a hospice in rural New Hampshire, and the very special twelve-year old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

          On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless - mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the 'steam' that children with the 'shining' produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

          Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father's legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him and a job at a nursing home where his remnant 'shining' power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes 'Doctor Sleep.'

          Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan's own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra's soul and survival . . ."

          Not what I was expecting...

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
            The long anticipated Dr. Sleep is getting released September 24. Anybody plan on reading it? I haven't read The Shining but I'm kinda tempted to so I can read this.

            Here's the synopsis:

            "The instantly riveting Doctor Sleep picks up the story of the now middle-aged Dan, working at a hospice in rural New Hampshire, and the very special twelve-year old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

            On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless - mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the 'steam' that children with the 'shining' produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

            Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father's legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him and a job at a nursing home where his remnant 'shining' power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes 'Doctor Sleep.'

            Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan's own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra's soul and survival . . ."

            Not what I was expecting...
            Oh, l'm all over this when it comes out. l've been counting down the days since some time last year. l'm actually reading Joe Hill's Horns right now, and l don't know if l'll finish it in time for this, since l'm such a slow reader. Might just have to set Horns aside for a little bit, to catch up on Dan Torrance's exploits since the awful tragedy at the Overlook. Can't. Frickin. Wait.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by yoxodo View Post
              Oh, l'm all over this when it comes out. l've been counting down the days since some time last year. l'm actually reading Joe Hill's Horns right now, and l don't know if l'll finish it in time for this, since l'm such a slow reader. Might just have to set Horns aside for a little bit, to catch up on Dan Torrance's exploits since the awful tragedy at the Overlook. Can't. Frickin. Wait.
              I've been meaning to read some Joe Hill, especially heart shaped box. Can't wait to see the Horns movie, the team of Aja and Hill could be something special.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                I've been meaning to read some Joe Hill, especially heart shaped box. Can't wait to see the Horns movie, the team of Aja and Hill could be something special.
                l LOVED Heart-Shaped Box. l would rather see a movie version of that. So far Horns hasn't been keeping my interest as much, but it still seems pretty good. Looking forward to seeing Radcliffe tackle this kind of role though. And l'm on board for ANYTHING from Aja.

                Comment


                • #23
                  100 pages in and l'm completely riveted. This bastard of a book hits the ground running, grabs you by the throat and squeezes HARD. I have an ominous feeling that it will be a big tear-jerker by the end, much like 11-22-63 was.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Wow, it's out?

                    How has critical reception been?


                    Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                    I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
                      Wow, it's out?

                      How has critical reception been?
                      Everything l've read has been pretty positive, including a good review right here on BD. l try not to read many reviews though, for fear of spoilers.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I look forward to reading this! I thought the plot sounded a bit dumb, but the reviews have been phenomenal and I love The Shining (book and film).
                        ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"


                        Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

                        http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Taking my time reading this, because l don't want it to end. ..and because l'm a slow ass reader.

                          l love when King drops subtle little references to his previous novels. This one has a few, including an always cool nod to the sleazy tabloid Inside View. I think this one will be following the Path of the Beam before its all over.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Finished it this morning.


                            I hope its not to early to say this is better than The Shining and is the best book he's written since the last Dark Tower book.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                              Finished it this morning.


                              I hope its not to early to say this is better than The Shining and is the best book he's written since the last Dark Tower book.


                              I must read this immediately.


                              Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                              I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I received this book a couple weeks ago as a gift but I'm ashamed to admit that The Shining is one of the few King books that I've never read so I'll have to get on that before opening this one up

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X