Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Kind Of Horror Do You Like To Read?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kind Of Horror Do You Like To Read?

What are some types of horror fiction you like to read? I ask because as some of you may know I have a horror story published. I would love to get back into writing but I am having a lot of trouble coming up with a good idea. My last book was about vampires and it took me almost 2 years to write it which was before Twilight burned everyone out on vampires. I want to write something original that will scare people. Anyone have any good ideas?

The closest I get to horror is historical trivia novels like Final Exits: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of How We Die, This Will Kill You, The Executioner Always Chops Twice: Ghastly Blunders on the Scaffold. Haven't read a real horror in years though I'd really like to read Stephen King's IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Frey View Post
      What are some types of horror fiction you like to read? I ask because as some of you may know I have a horror story published. I would love to get back into writing but I am having a lot of trouble coming up with a good idea. My last book was about vampires and it took me almost 2 years to write it which was before Twilight burned everyone out on vampires. I want to write something original that will scare people. Anyone have any good ideas?
      Congrats on getting a horror story published, that's a great achievement. I'm into screenwriting and have written 2 horror features one of which won an award at New Orleans for best screenplay.

Like they always say inspiration can come out of nowhere and its been true for me. Normally I have ideas floating around my head and then I will see or read something that just makes the pieces fall in place.

As for books I read, I read this synopsis for Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill;

"Aging rock star Judas Coyne spends his retirement collecting morbid memorabillia such as a witch's confession, a real snuff film and, after being sent an e-mail directly about the item online, a dead man's suit. He is told, by the daughter(whom he does not know at the time), that the old man's spirit is attached to this funeral suit. The ghost will go wherever it does and so buying this suit would effectively be buying a poltergeist; Judas cannot pass up this opportunity."

Now that's a story I want to read.

Comment

Heya fellow writer! So you said story- you've done a novel, are you going to try short stories now? The great thing about shorts is that it's less time commitment, so you have more time to be experimental. Plus, you don't have to worry about writing as much connective tissue in as you do with a novel- it's pure story.

Horror is popular enough that every convention has been blugeoned to death. Personally, I look for originality- I don't need insanity on the first page, but the voice that comes through in the prose needs to promise me there's something cool or unusually dark right away. I live by the writing advice "start in the middle of the action", and I found that's what I like to read. JOHN DIES AT THE END did this really well imo, and I'm glad the movie kept it.

More specifically, I like stuff that builds in a regular neighborhood then goes beserk- like THE DRIVE-IN. If someone could finally do a great, original werewolf story? I'd be in heaven. Mainly I like surrealistic horror with a human heart beating in the middle of it. Caring about fully developed characters ramps up the horror; I can't stand Ed Gein/Ted Bundy rip off bad guys whose backstory sums up to "I hated my mother so women are bitches and I collect their rotting genitals in a cookie jar." If they add a hard drinking detective to that, I will punch their book in the face.

Midnight-Kroovy- HEART SHAPED BOX is a lot of fun!

Comment

Working...
        X