General Gaming Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Formaldehide&Seek View Post

Anyone else get bitten by the too old to game bug?
    I felt that way for a while, but ever since i got my PS4 i've wondered why i stopped. I haven't been on a console this much since my Genesis days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iggy View Post
      I felt that way for a while, but ever since i got my PS4 i've wondered why i stopped. I haven't been on a console this much since my Genesis days.
      Haha i kinda felt the same way playing assassin's creed but having so much to do i can't help but keeping my eye on the clock.

Comment

Haha i kinda felt the same way playing assassin's creed but having so much to do i can't help but keeping my eye on the clock.
        I just remembered that gaming was as addictive as crack.

Comment

Anyone else get bitten by the too old to game bug?
          Similar to what Iggy said, I felt a bit like that but then I got a new xbone and have gamed every single day since then.
          I may have just confused 'not having anything to play/no interest in any games' with ' being too old to game'

I can easily see myself gaming when I'm full of gray hair as long as i don't have extreme arthritis in my hands. But maybe by then controllers will be a thing of the past.

Comment

• If you're not too old to watch movies or read books, you're not too old to be playing video games. Just a different art form and storytelling medium. No shame in that. Different curriculum, same prerequisites.

I have noticed as I've gotten older that I can't just sit and waste the day away playing games anymore. Most of my actual sessions are no longer than two hours at most these days.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
            I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
              To me, those are minor details in the grand scheme of things. Especially when compared to the differences of past generations. GTA V looks and plays a bit better on next gen, but the thing is you're still getting reletively the exact same experience on last gen. Last gen is getting MGSV. It's inconceivable to imagine Kojima trying to squeeze MGS4 onto a PS2 for example.
              That's because both GTAV and MGSV were developed with last gen in mind, and only being put on next gen for the sake of playing the game with somewhat better optimization. GTAV in particular is only an upgraded last gen game, but you can rest assured that the next Grand Theft Auto game will not fit on a last gen console if Rockstar's hints at future plans are anything to go by (They said that for the next game they'd like to introduce being able to fly between all major cities including Los Santos, Liberty City, and Vice City). They stated in that interview that they had enough trouble packing Grand Theft Auto V into last gen memory space. So it's only natural to assume last gen won't be getting any Grand Theft Auto VI.

And as far as MGSV goes, if you want proof that the Fox Engine isn't being used to it's fullest potential for that game, then go look at a video for P.T. It's the exact same engine, but with vastly improved visuals. And only looking at a compressed video doesn't do it justice. When viewed in full HD in person, you'll notice that even the fucking roaches are excruciatingly detailed. PT puts Ground Zeroes to shame when it comes to graphics, because the former was built exclusively for next gen where the latter was not.

All I'm saying is that the technical differences between this gen and last gen aren't nearly as drastic as they've been in the past, and developers won't be as hasty to abandon last gen because of it.
              They will abandon it if only from a purely business standpoint. It's foolish to think otherwise. Even if you don't think there won't be drastic differences later on down the road, that won't change the fact that Sony and Microsoft will soon stop supporting the old systems just to focus more on the new. That's kinda exactly why they release new consoles in the first place. Even the PS2 was supported long after the PS3 was released, but eventually all the PS2 merch faded from stores, and then eventually ceased altogether. This gen will be no different.

Those games will eventually get made, but I don't think it will ever be on the massive scale of other generations, with every developer abandoning last gen. Usually by now, you would've seen promotion for a slew of next-gen exclusives. I can think of about three big exclusives we know about. Halo, Uncharted, and Batman. This past E3 really disappointed me as far as next gen announcements go.
              Yeah, well between MKX, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Dying Light, Batman, and Resident Evil Revelations 2 I think I have enough shit to buy so far.
              Last edited by ObeySleepConform; 01-23-2015, 08:40 AM.

Right, 'cause the world is just buzzing about this 4th entry to an already tired franchise. I can't seem to go anywhere without hearing about Jurassic World. It's the next Hunger Games.

$30 - $40 million opening weekend if they're lucky, and then out of existence it will quickly go. Count on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ObeySleepConform View Post
                That's because both GTAV and MGSV were developed with last gen in mind, and only being put on next gen for the sake of playing the game with somewhat better optimization. GTAV in particular is only an upgraded last gen game, but you can rest assured that the next Grand Theft Auto game will not fit on a last gen console if Rockstar's hints at future plans are anything to go by (They said that for the next game they'd like to introduce being able to fly between all major cities including Los Santos, Liberty City, and Vice City). They stated in that interview that they had enough trouble packing Grand Theft Auto V into last gen memory space. So it's only natural to assume last gen won't be getting any Grand Theft Auto VI.
                No doubt, but you don't even have to point to GTA. I'm sure RDR2 is in the works, and won't be last gen. Same with a game like Fallout 4. These are the select titles I was alluding to. What I'm saying is that developers in mass won't abandon last for quite a while, and you'll continue to see most third party games appear on last gen, reletively unchanged from their next gen counterparts.

And as far as MGSV goes, if you want proof that the Fox Engine isn't being used to it's fullest potential for that game, then go look at a video for P.T. It's the exact same engine, but with vastly improved visuals. And only looking at a compressed video doesn't do it justice. When viewed in full HD in person, you'll notice that even the fucking roaches are excruciatingly detailed. PT puts Ground Zeroes to shame when it comes to graphics, but again, it's the exact same engine.
                Yeah, and PT as far as I'm concerned, is the only true next-gen game I've seen. Still though, that game is pulling off some trickery, and I wouldn't compare it to MGSV. I mean, all you're doing in PT is walking down the same hallway over and over. Graphics look amazing, but I'm sure concessions will have to be made for Silent Hills. Look at Reedus' character model. It doesn't look half as realistic as the hallway does.

As far as MGSV goes, I was as shocked as anyone that it will be on last gen. That again tells me that the old systems still have legs.

They will abandon it if only from a purely business standpoint. It's foolish to think otherwise.
                I think that's the reason they won't abandon them anytime soon. The user base is too large to ignore on last gen, and they can still give those people reletively the same experience. The 2 highest selling games last year were 360 games.

There might be a change in the business as a whole. Even when I do eventually pick up a PS4(whenever those games I was talking about hit), I won't be replacing my PS3 with it, like I've done with past generations. I've got too many games on it, and the PS4 isn't backwords compatable. Then you also have legions of Xbox Live and PS+ subscribers on last gen. I don't think they're just going to tell those people to fuck off, if they don't want to upgrade. That's a lot of money on the table.

Regardless of what I think of the technology not being that big of a leap, there are still other variables that you didn't have with previous generations as to why I think last gen will stick around. For example, digital distribution is making retail stores, as far as gaming is concerned, obsolete. That's not as big of an issue as it was in the past either.
                Last edited by Heretic; 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM.

Comment

No doubt, but you don't even have to point to GTA. I'm sure RDR2 is in the works, and won't be last gen. Same with a game like Fallout 4. These are the select titles I was alluding to. What I'm saying is that developers in mass won't abandon last for quite a while, and you'll continue to see most third party games appear on last gen.

Yeah, and PT as far as I'm concerned, is the only true next-gen game I've seen. Still though, that game is pulling off some trickery, and I wouldn't compare it to MGSV. I mean, all you're doing in PT is walking down the same hallway over and over. Graphics look amazing, but I'm sure concessions will have to be made for Silent Hills. Look at Reedus' character model. It doesn't look half as realistic as the hallway does.
                  I think the model for Reedus is just that case of not being able to realistically render human beings as well as environments. I mean even films can't do it right most of the time. But this is Kojima we're talking here, and his team will take their sweet ass time going over every painstaking detail, so I have no doubt that Silent Hills will look every bit as good as those two hallways did in P.T., even if we get the game like 4 years from now. In fact that's how I know MGSV was developed with last gen in mind. It's just been in development for so long at this point that they probably didn't even think about next gen when they started on it. And seriously, MGSV being on last gen shouldn't be that impressive considering how GTAV turned out. But what I am willing to wager is that MGSV will still be straining the consoles to their utmost extreme. It's scary just to think of the install time.

Bit of fun trivia though. The full install for MGS4 is actually 1gb larger than GTAV...which is 6 years older.
                  I think that's the reason they won't abandon them anytime soon. The user base is too large to ignore on last gen, and they can still give those people reletively the same experience. The 2 highest selling games last year were 360 games.
                  This was the same case with the PS2 though. In fact I think it was the largest selling console ever, and may still be today. Sony had a nice 5 year support plan for the console just so as to not outright abandon those who hadn't made the switch to next gen yet.
                  There might be a change in the business as a whole. Even when I do eventually pick up a PS4(whenever those games I was talking about hit), I won't be replacing my PS3 with it, like I've done with past generations. I've got too many games on it, and the PS4 isn't backwords compatable. Then you also have legions of Xbox Live and PS+ subscribers on last gen. I don't think they're just going to tell those people to fuck off, if they don't want to upgrade. That's a lot of money on the table.
                  Well yeah, I mean unless you're like Se7en and just have that entitled "old stuff sucks" mentality there's never any reason to get rid of a last gen console. I used to always have to as a kid just because it was my grandmother's rule. If I wanted a PS2 I had to sell off my PS1. But if I had had a choice in the matter back then I would have kept everything from my Super Nintendo to my Sega Dreamcast, just because of the simple fact that I put so much time into them.

And speaking purely from a technical standpoint the PS3 is no different from the PS4. The PS3 wasn't backwards compatible either after the initial first batch when they decided to remove it. Which I suspect was in part due to the fact that they wanted to keep selling PS2's and PS2 merch as well as cutting down hardware costs on the PS3 itself. That's why I kept a PS2 handy. This gen I'm keeping my PS3 because of the simple fact that I still want to play the old games on it, but I'm not stupid. In 5 years time the system will pretty much be dead in the market scene. Just like the PS2 before it.

Regardless of what I think of the technology not being that big of a leap, there are still other variables that you didn't have with previous generations as to why I think last gen will stick around.
                  Actually it's fairly similar to the last generation switch. The changes aren't quite as drastic in some areas, but there are still others which are much warranted. Nobody wants two or three disc Xbox 360 games anymore, so it'll be nice to play a Rockstar game on one disc for a Microsoft system, and just as well it'll be nice to have a game that's not only gorgeous looking but consisting of more than a linear narrow hallway since that was all they could afford to do with the limited memory space they had on whatever console they made it on.
                  Last edited by ObeySleepConform; 01-23-2015, 09:36 AM.

Right, 'cause the world is just buzzing about this 4th entry to an already tired franchise. I can't seem to go anywhere without hearing about Jurassic World. It's the next Hunger Games.

$30 - $40 million opening weekend if they're lucky, and then out of existence it will quickly go. Count on it.

Comment

Bit of fun trivia though. The full install for MGS4 is actually 1gb larger than GTAV...which is 6 years older.
                    Yeah, I saw that. MGS4 is still a showcase for presentation. Nothing dated about it at all.

I think the largest I've seen is Uncharted 3 at 40 gigs. Surprising, when you consider TLOU was only 27. The weirdest one I saw was the new Sly Cooper game. Something like 22 gigs. Why???

Well yeah, I mean unless you're like Se7en and just have that entitled "old stuff sucks" mentality there's never any reason to get rid of a last gen console.
                    I never got rid of them, but they did end up in the closet only to be brought out for nostagic purposes after a while. My PS3 and 360 will remain alongside my PS4 and Xbone.

Actually it's fairly similar to the last generation switch. The changes aren't quite as drastic in some areas, but there are still others which are much warranted. Nobody wants two or three disc Xbox 360 games anymore
                    I really don't think that's a big deal. Pretty sure GTA V and LA Noire sold better on the 360. For all the hype that Sony tried to create around Blu Ray memory space, nobody really gave a shit. To this day, there are very few games that actually took advantage of it, and maxed it out. What are there, like three or four multi-disc 360 games in it's entire library? It's really a non-factor. The disc format in general is kind of going the way of the dinosaur. I wouldn't be surprised if by the next generation everything was digital. When they can figure out how to stream games without making any sacrifices, it's goodbye discs.

I would like to know the black magic that Bethesda used to squeeze Skyrim onto one disc though.

so it'll be nice to play a Rockstar game on one disc for a Microsoft system, and just as well it'll be nice to have a game that's not only gorgeous looking but consisting of more than a linear narrow hallway since that was all they could afford to do with the limited memory space they had on whatever console they made it on.
                    Eh?
                    Last edited by Heretic; 01-23-2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Eh?
                      Killzone 3. Go play Killzone 3.

And yeah. The day gaming goes all digital, is the day I stop buying new games. Plenty of shit I missed out on back on the old consoles.

Comment

Killzone 3. Go play Killzone 3.
                        ........eh?

I think I know what you're trying to say, but that's more of a game design issue than anything. If what you're trying to say is that linearity is due to lack of memory.

You'll still have "corridor shooters", they'll just be fancier corridors. You can't really achieve that "cinematic" experience any other way.

Still not sure if that's what you mean though...

And yeah. The day gaming goes all digital, is the day I stop buying new games. Plenty of shit I missed out on back on the old consoles.
                        I think something like Playstation Now is the future. It will just take a while to get there. If developers get on board with a Netflix-esque subscription model, and the technology is there to make it happen, it'll work. They've been trying for years, going all the way back to the Genesis to make that happen, and I think the tech is finally catching up to make it a reality. Probably still another generation or so off, though.

Comment

........eh?

I think I know what you're trying to say, but that's more of a game design issue than anything. If what you're trying to say is that linearity is due to lack of memory.

You'll still have "corridor shooters", they'll just be fancier corridors. You can't really achieve that "cinematic" experience any other way.

Still not sure if that's what you mean though...
                          Killzone was an example, but it's one amongst many off the top of my head. And memory can certainly be an issue when so much of it gets pumped into graphical quality and animation. There's a reason why some of the most open world shooters have kinda shitty physics/animations/etc. Some of the more visceral and realistic stuff is indeed narrow and corridor style.

Take Deus Ex Human Revolution. One of the most open ended FPS's around, but the graphics and animation....eh. And listening to the commentary on the director's cut version explains how when going for that sort of seamless level design, you do have to make tons of sacrifices just to get some kind of semblance of non-linear open ended gameplay.

I think something like Playstation Now is the future. It will just take a while to get there. If developers get on board with a Netflix-esque subscription model, and the technology is there to make it happen, it'll work. They've been trying for years, going all the way back to the Genesis to make that happen, and I think the tech is finally catching up to make it a reality. Probably still another generation or so off, though.
                          Yeah fuck that. If I can't buy a disc version to sit on my shelf then they lose me altogether. I make an exception for certain stuff like Outlast and RE HD, but even then I'd still buy those as a disc release given the chance, you know. Well new disc release, besides the gamecube version...which I'm getting anyway.

Comment

Killzone was an example, but it's one amongst many off the top of my head. And memory can certainly be an issue when so much of it gets pumped into graphical quality and animation. There's a reason why some of the most open world shooters have kinda shitty physics/animations/etc. Some of the more visceral and realistic stuff is indeed narrow and corridor style.
                            That's not really going to change though. They're both going to improve respectively, but you'll still notice the difference between something like Fallout, compared to COD, because they're both still utilizing the memory in different ways. It comes down to practicality too. I don't think we'll see a game like Elder Scrolls for instance, where every NPC and dungeon is completely unique. Regardless of memory, it would still take an inconceivable amount of work and money to make that a reality.

Yeah fuck that. If I can't buy a disc version to sit on my shelf then they lose me altogether. I make an exception for certain stuff like Outlast and RE HD, but even then I'd still buy those as a disc release given the chance, you know. Well new disc release, besides the gamecube version...which I'm getting anyway.
                            I used to be like that, thinking I'd never stop buying discs, but I've lightened up on that over the years. It's just convenient having all your games in one place, and they run better too. Services like Live and PS+ offer way more deals than retail stores do as well.

Comment

That's not really going to change though. They're both going to improve respectively, but you'll still notice the difference between something like Fallout, compared to COD, because they're both still utilizing the memory in different ways. It comes down to practicality too. I don't think we'll see a game like Elder Scrolls for instance, where every NPC and dungeon is completely unique. Regardless of memory, it would still take an inconceivable amount of work and money to make that a reality.
                              Oh I know that time constraints will always be an issue. Sometimes it's not down to just limited hardware, but just having to focus on what's important to meet deadlines. That Deus Ex commentary I mentioned covers that as well, but at the same time an enormous amount of the game had to be cut not due to time, but to limits of the hardware. At least those problems can be fixed by simply designing the game for a new set of consoles.

I used to be like that, thinking I'd never stop buying discs, but I've lightened up on that over the years. It's just convenient having all your games in one place, and they run better too. Services like Live and PS+ offer way more deals than retail stores do as well.
                              Yeah, and that works for people that consider discs and packages to be unnecessary hassles. Different strokes for different folks. For me though, there's no replicating having a physical collection. I like having discs, packages, booklets, and all that jazz. It's part of the fun. And it saves a nice chunk of my Hard Drive space to boot. I'll never get on to download only gaming. Not as the primary method of gaming anyway.

Comment

• I have to agree with Obey....physical media is ALWAYS better.

Comment

Working...
                                X