X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nightbreed
    not virus mate i have upto date norton
    not know about memory i have a one year old sony vaio with split hard disc drive c 27.9 gb only used 10 gb drive . d drive 83.8 used only 1 gb plus an external drive E that 233 gb used 64.
    updates on auto
    so iam going with over heat as iam on this 24/7
    i do run adware and pc tools reg mec could they be my prob?
    also dude how do i check for overheating is there a way ? ( i can hear fan lol)thx
    Which VAIO is it? Laptop or desktop? I know they're very compact machines and so they don't have very good airflow. Although they're very well built PC's, if it's on all the time overheating could be the problem. Sounds like your well covered on the software side so it's most likely a hardware fault of some kind.

Most newer motherboards have thermometers built in, I wouldn't be surprised if a VIAO had one. You'd be able to find out by accessing the BIOS (you can get to it by pressing one of the funtion keys or delete key as soon as you switch on the PC, it will tell you on the start up screen which key it is). Somewhere in the BIOS it will tell you the CPU Temp.

Here's a good link with more info and some tools that may help you out:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/143

MySpace

Comment

Quick question...

My CPU is about five years old now and it's acting it's age. I think it's time to upgrade. I have a Windows XP, Dell. What's the a good upgrade? What's the best home cpu on the market right now? I don't use it for games or anything.
      "I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other."

- Frankenstein's Monster.

Comment

By CPU are you referring to the processor? I only ask because although the CPU is the processor (Central Processing Unit) a lot of people I talk to refer to the PC as a whole as the CPU.

If it is the processor you mean, first thing you need to know is if your motherboard will support a bigger processor, and if it can, are you still able to get hold of them (I'd say probably not if your PC is 5 years old). If you post the model it is I should be able to find that out for you (OptiPlex GX-1 or something along those lines).

If it's not possible to upgrade it due to age your best bet would be either a) if you're feeling brave, build you're own PC harvesting whatever parts you can from the current one or b) take it into a local PC repair shop and have them do it for you - the smaller the shop the better as they're more likely to be geeks wanting to show off their talents than a big company just after your money.

MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by Sykopaf
          By CPU are you referring to the processor? I only ask because although the CPU is the processor (Central Processing Unit) a lot of people I talk to refer to the PC as a whole as the CPU.

If it is the processor you mean, first thing you need to know is if your motherboard will support a bigger processor, and if it can, are you still able to get hold of them (I'd say probably not if your PC is 5 years old). If you post the model it is I should be able to find that out for you (OptiPlex GX-1 or something along those lines).

If it's not possible to upgrade it due to age your best bet would be either a) if you're feeling brave, build you're own PC harvesting whatever parts you can from the current one or b) take it into a local PC repair shop and have them do it for you - the smaller the shop the better as they're more likely to be geeks wanting to show off their talents than a big company just after your money.
          I incorrectly meant the whole thing. It's has a few bugs in the system that I can't repair even using the fancy versions of the registry mechanic/window fixing options. I'd like to save my drives that have my info and install them into a new computer.
          "I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe. If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other."

Comment

Originally posted by Severn
            I incorrectly meant the whole thing. It's has a few bugs in the system that I can't repair even using the fancy versions of the registry mechanic/window fixing options. I'd like to save my drives that have my info and install them into a new computer.
            Your data should be fine. You can easily take your hard drive(s) out of your current PC and put them into a new one as a secondary drive.

If you're looking for a new PC purely for office work/internet use you should be able to pick one up fairly cheap. Look for PC's using either an Intel Celeron or an AMD Sempron. You should be able to save a few more quid too since you won't need to buy a new monitor, mouse, keyboard etc.. although if you're buying new they normally come as a bundle anyway.

When buying it the shop should be able to put your old hard drive into the new PC as a secondary drive for you.

MySpace

Comment

When buying it the shop should be able to put your old hard drive into the new PC as a secondary drive for you.
              Didn't know that!

Thanks -you've been very helpful!

Comment

I don't know if this is the place to ask...but what the heck... All the animated Avatars have froze on me and I can't see them play. I have no idea why either. Also Bloody-Disgusting has been acting kind of funny. Like some links I can't click on and some crap like that. I'm running Firefox on a XP computer with RoadRunner High Speed Internet.

Comment

cheers Sykopaf , ive desktop, i check fan temp out when i get back from work thx

Comment

Originally posted by White_Rabbit
                    I don't know if this is the place to ask...but what the heck... All the animated Avatars have froze on me and I can't see them play. I have no idea why either. Also Bloody-Disgusting has been acting kind of funny. Like some links I can't click on and some crap like that. I'm running Firefox on a XP computer with RoadRunner High Speed Internet.
                    I had a similar problem with FireFox and BD a little while ago. Just updating FireFox fixed the problem, if you're already running the latest version, try reinstalling FireFox.

MySpace

Comment

I had a similar problem with FireFox and BD a little while ago. Just updating FireFox fixed the problem, if you're already running the latest version, try reinstalling FireFox.
                      I tried that but it didn't work. However I did figure out it was my Firewall blocking any animated images from working. So I tuned it so I could view them. Thanks for the help though.

Comment

Well done.

Let me commend you on a post like this,every forum should have one,but it's finding someone to take the time.You explain things in simple and direct terms.People new to PCs get sheepish when seeking advice,for some reason they feel foolish,I know I've been the same and still am to a degree,although I've been using a computer for years I still keep coming across new things.Regarding components I recently had great success with Ebay for my PC upgrades.AMD Athlon 64 fx,for almost half the price here in the UK,the saving all but paid for my Asus Mobo & graphic card.I can't emphasise enough though that you check out the feedback of the person you deal with,high end PC components don't come cheap even on a great deal.My PC is lightning fast at this time and runs like a dream.I,ll be viewing this post often in the future,thanks again for your efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by peteluvsmedusa
                          Let me commend you on a post like this,every forum should have one,but it's finding someone to take the time.You explain things in simple and direct terms.People new to PCs get sheepish when seeking advice,for some reason they feel foolish,I know I've been the same and still am to a degree,although I've been using a computer for years I still keep coming across new things.Regarding components I recently had great success with Ebay for my PC upgrades.AMD Athlon 64 fx,for almost half the price here in the UK,the saving all but paid for my Asus Mobo & graphic card.I can't emphasise enough though that you check out the feedback of the person you deal with,high end PC components don't come cheap even on a great deal.My PC is lightning fast at this time and runs like a dream.I,ll be viewing this post often in the future,thanks again for your efforts.
                          Cheers

Anyone who's worked in an office will be a bit sheepish about asking IT questions, IT staff tend to get so fucked off with daft questions all day long they end up treating everyone like they're idiots (I've been known to get a bit of an attitude myself once or twice!! ). I really don't mind helping people out if they want to learn, but I've had some truely outstanding displays of intelligence at work. Once a girl in a remote office (45 mins away from our office) was convinced her monitor was broken, so I had to drive all the way out there - the bloody thing hadn't been cleaned in god knows how long when I finally got there. Just wiped it with a cloth and it was as good as new!! lol.

MySpace

Comment

Cheers

Anyone who's worked in an office will be a bit sheepish about asking IT questions, IT staff tend to get so fucked off with daft questions all day long they end up treating everyone like they're idiots (I've been known to get a bit of an attitude myself once or twice!! ). I really don't mind helping people out if they want to learn, but I've had some truely outstanding displays of intelligence at work. Once a girl in a remote office (45 mins away from our office) was convinced her monitor was broken, so I had to drive all the way out there - the bloody thing hadn't been cleaned in god knows how long when I finally got there. Just wiped it with a cloth and it was as good as new!! lol.
                            That's some story.I can,t imagine how fithy that office must've been to end up with a situation like that.When you came away from there did you have to be de-loused? I know of the storys with people eating and drinking at their computers,up to them but-ooops! just knocked my coffee over,there goes another $3000 worth of computer.Oh well, just people being human I guess.I for one treat my computer like a gorgeous young woman,serviced to perfection of course

Comment

It wasn't that bad, it was just filled with idiots. It was a little out of the way office with only about 30-40 people in, but I swear, I've never seen so many stupid people in one place in my life (this was our Newcastle office, doesn't say a lot for Newcastle!). Things are a bit easier for the "IT bod" these days as people are generally a bit more savvy to computers and don't so much see them as futuristic machines put there to make their lives hell. I've been working in IT for about 10 years now, back when I first started it was a nightmare. I was fairly green anyway as I was just a kid and learning as I went, but people (generally) didn't know and didn't want to know anything about computers. I'd get calls from people saying their computer was broke and when I got there they had 'forgotten' to turn it on. No word of a lie.

The one I'll always remember was this particularly dumb geordie lass. Back in the Windows 95 days, when the PC booted up and windows (finally) opened you got this little animation of an arrow that flew along the task bar and pointed at the start button which said "click here to start". Well I'm stood behind this geordie lass watching what she does as the PC boots, the animation flys across the screen and shes chasing it with the mouse desperately trying to click on it. I thought she was just messing around and asked her what she was doing. She say's "It says click here to start so you have to click on it before you can start typing". She said it with a totally straight face as well. I just laughed at her, I still am laughing whenever I think about it.

MySpace

Comment

It wasn't that bad, it was just filled with idiots. It was a little out of the way office with only about 30-40 people in, but I swear, I've never seen so many stupid people in one place in my life (this was our Newcastle office, doesn't say a lot for Newcastle!). Things are a bit easier for the "IT bod" these days as people are generally a bit more savvy to computers and don't so much see them as futuristic machines put there to make their lives hell. I've been working in IT for about 10 years now, back when I first started it was a nightmare. I was fairly green anyway as I was just a kid and learning as I went, but people (generally) didn't know and didn't want to know anything about computers. I'd get calls from people saying their computer was broke and when I got there they had 'forgotten' to turn it on. No word of a lie.

The one I'll always remember was this particularly dumb geordie lass. Back in the Windows 95 days, when the PC booted up and windows (finally) opened you got this little animation of an arrow that flew along the task bar and pointed at the start button which said "click here to start". Well I'm stood behind this geordie lass watching what she does as the PC boots, the animation flys across the screen and shes chasing it with the mouse desperately trying to click on it. I thought she was just messing around and asked her what she was doing. She say's "It says click here to start so you have to click on it before you can start typing". She said it with a totally straight face as well. I just laughed at her, I still am laughing whenever I think about it.
                                Great story again.Are you from Newcastle then?You describe your location as "Oblivion".My God! Surely it's not that bad?

Comment

Working...
                                X