Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post
    Geez you guys are sensitive.

I love the LOTR films and didn't mind The Hobbit, but you can't deny that Jackson is now favouring CGI over practical effects.

Go watch the LOTR then The Hobbit and try to tell me there isn't a massive change in the effects format.
    I don't have a problem with you regarding the CGI issue, but I do have one with the direct Lucas comparison. That is/was just completely off the hook.
    And I don't see a problem with all the CGI as well. The majority is well incorporated in the film, only a few scenes seem cluttered, like the escape out from the Orc dungeons for instance. In 48fps mode, they look hilariously silly, like taken out from a computer game. But when you check Gollum and compare him to the one in the LOTR - the improvement is just mind-blowing, especially at the close-ups.
    I have seen worse CGI as of late in similar blockbusters.

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
    The dragon in particular, looks like shit. Everything else looked fine though.
    How many seconds do they show Smaug in the tiny trailer? And did you see him entirely? You haven't, but its already shitty in your eyes. Not quite fair, don't you think? Wait for the entire film and judge again afterwards.
    You can't judge a decent million dollar budgeted CGI on a regular computer monitor. Some effects did look cheap in the first Hobbit trailer too, but turned out fantastic in the current film.
    Same thing will happen with the next installment. Though I am not a fan of the 48fps shit, Jackson always is straightforward-thinking and wants to put a story to the screen, which is faithful to the source. And he had about one hour of interactive Q&A with fans regarding The Desolation Of Smaug, when the Bluray of the first was released. Lucas would rather sit one hour on his pot than do such a thing with the fans.
    So much for the integrity of Jackson and his vision.
    "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
    Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• Originally posted by Santa View Post
      How many seconds do they show Smaug in the tiny trailer? And did you see him entirely? You haven't, but its already shitty in your eyes. Not quite fair, don't you think?
      Nah, it's plenty fair. I'm judging what was presented to me. It looks like absolute shit, and I can't believe they thought it looked good enough to book end the trailer with. It looked completely unnatural, and didn't blend with the scenery at all. Almost like something you'd see on a Scyfy movie of the week.

Do I think they'll touch it up, and make it work? Of course. They fuckin' better, 'cause as it is, it's laughably bad.

Comment

• [YOUTUBE]hsUlHilL0Is[/YOUTUBE]
        "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
        Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• First production diary for "The Desolation..."
          [YOUTUBE]0Llxv8omjfU[/YOUTUBE]
          Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• Finally got around to seeing this. It was actually better than what I expected.

It was far less of a kids movie than I thought it would be. It's still a bit more light hearted than the LOTR trilogy, but when it had to get serious, it did, and the action wasn't dumbed down for a PG rating either. Lots of blood, stabbings, dismemberments, and all that good stuff. The story is simple, but serves it's purpose to move the characters in and out of danger, from one giant set piece to another. And what incredible set pieces they are. Every shot of the film is eye candy. It's a fantasy fan's wet dream, as far as visuals go.

I had a couple of problems though. For one, this movie doesn't really have a climax. There is no big final showdown with a supporting villian, or any big revelation. It just sort of ends. I know it's the first of three movies, but not having any sort of final conflict really hurt the film for me. The big moment is Bilbo earning respect from the group, but the struggle for him to fit in, felt a little forced. They have two or three scenes of Bilbo getting chewed out, but he never comes across as an all around outcast, or someone who is constantly causing the group trouble. Meh, wasn't feeling it.

I also had a problem with the CGI humanoid characters(orcs, goblins, trolls). As good as they were, they still look like cartoons. Something out of a Blizzard CGI trailer for one of their games. It's as good as it gets, but it just doesn't look natural. I don't know if they'll ever get it right. The orcs in LOTR looked better.

I could nitpick some other things, but I don't want to sound too negative. For the most part it was really fun, and I look forward to the next installment.

8/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
              I also had a problem with the CGI humanoid characters(orcs, goblins, trolls). As good as they were, they still look like cartoons. Something out of a Blizzard CGI trailer for one of their games. It's as good as it gets, but it just doesn't look natural. I don't know if they'll ever get it right. The orcs in LOTR looked better.
              Totally agree. The CGI looked merely like being taken out of a video game, especially in that godforsaken 48fps optic. It looked horrible, totally artifical. In 2D and 3 D not so much though.
              Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• New trailer, bitches!

[YOUTUBE]mbOEknbi4gQ[/YOUTUBE]

And new banners!

Only 2 months left!
                Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! Best trailer yet.... this is going to be so fucking epic.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                    DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! Best trailer yet.... this is going to be so fucking epic.
                    The first movie will look pretty pale after we will have seen the new one, I am sure.
                    Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

The first movie will look pretty pale after we will have seen the new one, I am sure.
                      It will be a lot like Fellowship for me... a truly great movie but the scale is so much smaller and intimate that I can't help but not love it quite as much as the others.

Smaug sounds great... Cumberbatch is going to kill another role as a villain.

Edit

Watched it a few times... totally see Sauron's eye!
                      Last edited by The Revelator; 10-01-2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• A few infos on the upcoming score for The Desolation Of Smaug:

Originally posted by Peter Jackson
                        The score for Film 2 is going to be terrific. Last year, we were a little frustrated because we had to revisit so many of the LotR themes - The Shire, Rivendell, Galadriel, Gollum, and the Ring - we did this because I'm wanting these 3 Hobbit movies to have great unity with the Rings films in design, wardrobe, story and music, so it meant "An Unexpected Journey" had to acknowledge what had gone before. But this time around, apart from a couple of Ring moments, it's all new: Beorn, Mirkwood, The Woodland Realm, Laketown, Bard and Smaug all give Howard the chance to write brand new themes, and he's knocking it out of the park!
                        Plus, the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra will record the score under the helm of Howard Shore. They previously done the music for The Lord of the Rings movies within the the exceptional acoustics of their over 100-year-old concert building.

No release date has been set yet for the new score. I'll keep an Sauron eye on it!
                        Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

A few infos on the upcoming score for The Desolation Of Smaug:

Plus, the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra will record the score under the helm of Howard Shore. They previously done the music for The Lord of the Rings movies within the the exceptional acoustics of their over 100-year-old concert building.

No release date has been set yet for the new score. I'll keep an Sauron eye on it!
                          I'll get the extended one, just like I did for the first film. I'm expecting brilliance.

Comment

I'll get the extended one, just like I did for the first film. I'm expecting brilliance.
                            Me too. I am 100% sure it will be another masterpiece like the others before.
                            Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Me too. I am 100% sure it will be another masterpiece like the others before.
                              The only track I didn't like was the song that played over the credits. It was far too poppy and corny... unlike the credits tracks for the LOTR trilogy, which are dreamy and beautiful. I hope they improve that for DoS.

Comment

The only track I didn't like was the song that played over the credits. It was far too poppy and corny... unlike the credits tracks for the LOTR trilogy, which are dreamy and beautiful. I hope they improve that for DoS.
                                True dat. That song was just horrible and didn't fit in the Middle Earth mood at all. All other three in the trilogy were top-notch.
                                Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Working...
                                X