No announcement yet.

The Hobbit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive looked everywhere and no one is answering...to those that have seen any of them in digital imax 3d, is it the whole screen, or are there black bars?

Comment

• Originally posted by Alkaline View Post
      Eh... I kind of feel like all of us here are a niche audience anyway, in the sense that we care about this stuff enough to be here in the first place. People you work with, your friends and neighbors, they all enjoy movies, but they how many of them think about them and look at them in the same ways that you do...

Anybody here who goes and sees this is going feel however they feel... and anybody else who sees it probably didn't even pay attention to all of that shit in the first place.

At the end of the day, that stuff is just a consensus, like here or anywhere else. Maybe you agree with this person or that person, maybe you don't. If you write it off altogether, you might as well ask yourself why you should even bother to review it...

We're all just looking to have a connection with somebody else - that's what film is. It's only ever a problem when the consensus - in a bubble or not - casts us as the odd one out. We love to see a film we're looking forward to do well, and we feel vindicated when others share the same problems we have with a particular film.

glarbj

Looks more like a c&p job...

Though, I am completely fine to keep movie afterthoughts for myself, I don't have the urge to review every movie I have seen recently in theatre with. And if I do, I post it here - and if somebody even likes or quotes it - even better. But my life doesn't depend on it if I don't (write 'em) or don't get feedback if I post 'em.
      Originally posted by aaronmb View Post
      Ive looked everywhere and no one is answering...to those that have seen any of them in digital imax 3d, is it the whole screen, or are there black bars?
      Can't tell for sure, but I remember seeing the last one without those bars. Go to IMAX, it's the best possible way to enjoy this spectacle.
      "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
      Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
        An Unexpected Journey holds a 64%
        Still positive, and it went way up with DOS. To have a dropoff this drastic tells me there might be some serious problems with the film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Santa View Post

Looks more like a c&p job...
          Or maybe this isn't the first time I've just gone afdiaj on a keyboard before, and maybe I accidentally omitted words while I was trying to give you a thoughtful reply to something I'm genuinely enthusiastic about at 5 in the morning. We'll never know.

Comment

Or maybe this isn't the first time I've just gone afdiaj on a keyboard before, and maybe I accidentally omitted words while I was trying to give you a thoughtful reply to something I'm genuinely enthusiastic about at 5 in the morning. We'll never know.
            You did quite well for writing such a senseful anecdote at 5am.
            "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
            Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

What are you on about? The last two Hobbit films ONLY made $1.9 billion combined. The Hobbit is totally made for a niche audience.
              You are being sarcastic right?

Comment

• I'm going this weekend come hell or high water. Shit, I've got to go all the way with Jackson considering the time I've already spent in Middle Earth. I don't care what the reviews say, pretty sure this last entry will be consistent.

Comment

• Saw it today and while it's a solid goodbye to Middle Earth it does have its share of problems. Most we've already known like CGI overload but it's kind of turned up to the 10th degree this time to where it can be really distracting. Going in I already knew without reading spoilers I'd see [SPOILER]Legolas doing some ridiculous shit (and boy did he, the jumping on the bricks was groanworthy) and the eagles in some way, shape or form.[/SPOILER] It's weird though, I liked it but at the same time a lot of my issues with it dragged it down, idk? Desolation is my favorite of the trilogy.

Big ups to the Elrond, Saruman, and Galadriel scene as that was great. The battle itself was okay but it didn't live up to Helm's Deep or Pelennor Fields. I forgot his name but the deputy or whatever was kept around WAY too long.

[SPOILER]Thranduil telling Legolas to head north and find a ranger should have been stopped there but it got dragged out into like, "Find his son... he's really special... goes by the name of "Strider".. his real name you'll have to discover yourself..". Jackson we knew who it was instantly, no need to keep hitting us in the head with it..[/SPOILER]

I can honestly say after three movies I still don't know any of the other dwarves besides Thorin, Balin and Killi as they aren't fleshed out enough.
                  Last edited by Timvp; 12-17-2014, 05:19 PM.
                  “I know you’re ‘good’ people. I know you mean well… But you just didn’t think it through…. There is only one path to peace… Your extermination.” - Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Comment

glarbj

no need to get all self aware on us

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                    Still positive, and it went way up with DOS. To have a dropoff this drastic tells me there might be some serious problems with the film.
                    Up to 61% now. Only a 3% difference!

You are being sarcastic right?
                    No fucking shit.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                    I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

Up to 61% now. Only a 3% difference!
                      I don't visit RT all that much these days. Their new layout sucks. Either way, it's concerning that the praise has dropped off that much. I don't get the lukewarm reception AUJ got though, so whatever.

No fucking shit.
                      You don't get the big deal with Jaws, and Blade Runner is a "supposed" sci-fi masterpiece to you.

Retardation kind of hurts your attempts at sarcasm.
                      Last edited by Heretic; 12-17-2014, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                        I don't visit RT all that much these days. Their new layout sucks. Either way, it's concerning that the praise has dropped off that much. I don't get the lukewarm reception AUJ got though, so whatever.
                        Not sure what real "praise" you're talking about. Desolation also only has a 74% with an average rating of 6.8. Far from critical acclaim.

You don't get the big deal with Jaws, and Blade Runner is a "supposed" sci-fi masterpiece to you.

Retardation kind of hurts your attempts at sarcasm.
                        First you say I gobble up everything critics love and now you're getting upset at me for not liking two movies critics love?

Pick a side boi

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                        I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• I was entertained by this but it's got hella unresolved issues. It's baffling and frustrating that Jackson bloated the films with superfluous characters and we aren't even certain they survive the big "Battle". WTF
                          Last edited by Dr. McStuffin; 12-21-2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. McStuffin View Post
                            I was entertained by this but it's got hella unresolved issues. It's baffling and frustrating that Jackson bloated the films with superfluous characters and we aren't even certain they survive the big "Battle". WTF
                            Superfluous characters? Who would that be? No major one was introduced in the last film, as far as I can remember.
                            Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

• Originally posted by Santa View Post
                              Superfluous characters? Who would that be? No major one was introduced in the last film, as far as I can remember.
                              [SPOILER]Maybe I missed it but did Beorn and Dain even survive? What happened to the Arkenstone? Why build up it's significance and then completely let it evaporate from the story? Why introduce and show the arrival of the Earth Eaters and then not let them figure into the battle at all?
                              [/SPOILER]
                              This "Defining" chapter leaves a bunch of loose ends. It really seems like Jackson was juggling too many characters and situations that he couldn't properly catch and land them all so he just left them in the air. Hopefully the extended clears some stuff up...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. McStuffin View Post
                                [SPOILER]Maybe I missed it but did Beorn and Dain even survive? What happened to the Arkenstone? Why build up it's significance and then completely let it evaporate from the story? Why introduce and show the arrival of the Earth Eaters and then not let them figure into the battle at all?
                                [/SPOILER]
                                This "Defining" chapter leaves a bunch of loose ends. It really seems like Jackson was juggling too many characters and situations that he couldn't properly catch and land them all so he just left them in the air. Hopefully the extended clears some stuff up...
                                I concur with the loose ends probs. Many plot branches were abandoned. Didn't know as well what happened to the Arkenstone, Beorn or the entire Dwarves kingdom - who was the heir to the throne after everybody was killed?
                                The battles itself left me wanting more too, they didn't match with the previous ones from Helms Deep or Pelennor at all.
                                Though I pay respect to Jackson all the same, it isn't that easy to produce and hold together a picture of such an epic scale. And bringing such a small book to the big screen and make it look epic. He is in the same league as Spielberg, Nolan or Scorsese, he is able to undertake even the biggest challenges and able to produce a decent movie.
                                The LOTR and the Hobbit trilogy will be his lifework, analog to Lucas' Star Wars. So sad it is over now.
                                Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Working...
                                X