X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hobbit

MGM to Unveil New Tentpoles!
    Source: Variety September 11, 2006

In a Variety article talking about MGM's move back into the tentpole business, the trade mentions a few highly-anticipated projects that are in the works:

Over the next few years, MGM is planning to release half a dozen films, some in the $150 million to $200 million-plus range. Studio is ready to unveil such high-profile projects as "Terminator 4"; one or two installments of "The Hobbit," which Sloan hopes will be directed by Peter Jackson; and a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan.

It has already announced a "Pink Panther" sequel and the next 007 pic "Bond 22," due out in November 2008. "Rocky Balboa" unspools in February.

The pics are all franchises that MGM owns the rights to through its 4,000-title library. The goal is to release two or three tentpoles a year, all of which will be made with financial partners, including Wall Street money or other studios.

The Hobbit (film or films) will be produced in partnership with New Line

Another article: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/24456

DVDs

Recent Flicks
    Jurassic World - 7/10
    Speed - 8.5/10
    John Wick - 9.5/10
    The Omen III: The Final Conflict - 7/10
    Interstellar - 8/10

Peter Jackson needs to direct this, along with the crew he had the first time for the trilogy. I wonder who they'll get to play Bilbo...and if characters like Gandalf and Elrond are going to be played by the same actors as before...hmmm...

Comment

the thought of seeing the Battle of Five Armies between elves, humans, dwarves, orcs, wargs and Beorn with the eagles on the big screen has me excited.
      Last edited by Darth Maul; 09-11-2006, 01:57 PM.
      sigpic

Online Portfolio | Album Reviews

Comment

I think it's something that Jackson wants to do but I guess it depends on his schedule over the years. I'd be excited if Serkis plays Gollum again and I can just imagine the fun they'd have with the dragon Smaug. Bring it on I say!

Comment

I will see this ONLY if Jackson does it. After the LOTR trilogy, I couldn't imagine that world any different.

Comment

I couldn't imagine this being directed by anyone else but Peter Jackson and I'm willing to bet that he doesn't want to hand over this universe to anyone else either. Of course if this goes down Serkis will reprise his role. Same goes for goes Mckellen and Weaving. Man, this would rule so much. Smaug, Beorn, the Battle of the Five Armies, Riddles in the Dark, the spiders of Mirkwood Forest, oh my.

DVDs

Recent Flicks
            Jurassic World - 7/10
            Speed - 8.5/10
            John Wick - 9.5/10
            Interstellar - 8/10

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Hag
              I couldn't imagine this being directed by anyone else but Peter Jackson and I'm willing to bet that he doesn't want to hand over this universe to anyone else either. Of course if this goes down Serkis will reprise his role. Same goes for goes Mckellen and Weaving. Man, this would rule so much. Smaug, Beorn, the Battle of the Five Armies, Riddles in the Dark, the spiders of Mirkwood Forest, oh my.
              He better hurry up then. McKellen will be pushing up daisies pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Heretic
                He better hurry up then. McKellen will be pushing up daisies pretty soon.
                Yeah, and I couldn't see anyone else playing Gandalf either. But hey, Christopher Lee is 17 years older than Mckellen and he's still trucking along.

DVDs

Recent Flicks
                Jurassic World - 7/10
                Speed - 8.5/10
                John Wick - 9.5/10
                Interstellar - 8/10

Comment

Terminator 4 and The Hobbit? I can't wait.
                  Movie Ratings:
                  Tourist Trap - 5.5/10
                  Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - 7/10
                  Lethal Weapon - 8/10
                  The Vanishing '88 - 8.5/10
                  The Masque of the Red Death - 6.5/10

Comment

Dunno if its Peter Jackson but he's already done a mock Hobbit trailer. just do a search for it with your download program... got me all excited
                    XBL - Zombie Dime
                    GTA V
                    Borderlands 2

Comment

Cooooooooooooooooool!

Bring it on, I can't imagine anyone else other than Peter Jackson directing it.
                      My DVD collection
                      http://jamie-mcbain.dvdaf.com/

My Myspace page http://www.myspace.com/canmoo

My DVD collection
                      http://www.dvdspot.com/list.php?list=owned

How do you know about the machine?

Comment

Movie or movies? I don't see a reason to stretch this one out to two flicks. It's a pretty short read. However, this will be awesome.

"The Hobbit" animated movie was pretty cool when I was a kid, too. Anyone seen it?

Comment

Cool news. I really liked the book. I think it will be a long time before we get to see this movie on the big screen but I cant wait. Is Peter Jackson directing the Halo movie? I hope Peter Jackson directs it.

Comment

Originally posted by MotionCitySoundtrack84
                            Cool news. I really liked the book. I think it will be a long time before we get to see this movie on the big screen but I cant wait. Is Peter Jackson directing the Halo movie? I hope Peter Jackson directs it.
                            Jackson is just serving as a producer for Halo. I can't remember the name of the person who is directing it. Apparently, the guy has some skills with FX though.

Comment

Originally posted by Iain
                              Movie or movies? I don't see a reason to stretch this one out to two flicks. It's a pretty short read.
                              I feel the same way, only one film is needed to tell the tale of The Hobbit, however lengthy it might be. The only reason the studio is interested in a two-part epic is to double their box office returns.
                              Movie Ratings:
                              Tourist Trap - 5.5/10
                              Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - 7/10
                              Lethal Weapon - 8/10
                              The Vanishing '88 - 8.5/10
                              The Masque of the Red Death - 6.5/10

Comment

Working...
                              X