This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post

The thing I think should be mentioned is lighting. Beyond story and characters, lighting is what also draws me to this genre. It is a pretty huge element to noir. If you have an interest in lighting (Argento fans!) you should check out noir.

The dark shadows make the viewer (or at least me :P) think as if something (or anything) can lie behind the next corner, physically and storywise. And it also helps get the point across that the individuals involved in the film are "shady" characters (ba-dum-chi!)
    Good point. With noir, what isn't lit is often just as important as what is (often more so). The shadows bear a menacing loom, becoming more than just a back drop... it's a character in and of it's self. There's something about the darkness that brings a bleak empty desperation to the screen, a subtle suffocation. Only to set you up for a future hammering to the gut.

The Big Sleep - The story can get kind of confusing at times because it has a lot of twists and turns and even loose ends (due to multiple writers) but it's so incredibly awesome, I don't care.
    Didn't really notice any loose ends, but it is a bit jumbled with content. It throws a lot at you all at once, yet still explains it (albeit hurriedly) along the way eventually laying it all out at the films conclusion.

I've been wanting to see Hitch Hiker for a few months now, although it looks as if all the current releasings are a bunch of shitty bare boned public domain releases.

Edit - I stand corrected, not sure how the print looks... too lazy to look at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitch-Hiker-Ed...1196432&sr=8-2

Double Edit - Cuntful Kino is.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/hitchhiker.htm
    Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

great thread, been getting into the genre myself lately, this thread's a good reference point for films i should watch. carry on!

Comment

Originally posted by Count Dragula View Post
        Didn't really notice any loose ends, but it is a bit jumbled with content. It throws a lot at you all at once, yet still explains it (albeit hurriedly) along the way eventually laying it all out at the films conclusion.
        I found this:
        SPOILERS!
        Joe Brody killed Owen Taylor and pushed his car into the ocean to get the film from Geiger's camera back
        http://www.reelclassics.com/Movies/B...p/bigsleep.htm

The film is fondly remembered for its extremely convoluted plot. A famous story tells that, during filming, the director and screenwriters could not figure out who had killed chauffeur Owen Taylor or if he had committed suicide. They sent a cable to the author. Chandler later relates this story to a friend in a letter and he recalls "They sent me a wire... asking me, and dammit I didn't know either
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big...lm)#Background

The most famous loose end in the story concerns a chauffeur, one Owen Taylor, who turns up dead in a water-logged Packard, "washing around off Lido Pier." Questions on the set arose as to who, in the carnival of conflicting motives that made the film a Chinese box of mayhem, actually did kill Owen Taylor? Hawks realized he didn't know, and successive calls were put in to screenwriters Leigh Brackett, Jules Furthman, and William Faulkner; they didn't know, either. Finally, Chandler himself was reached; no, he said, he guessed he didn't know, either. Editor Christian Nyby remembered years later that work on the film stopped for two days while a way out of this narrative cul-de-sac was sought. At that point, Hawks realized it didn't matter who killed Owen Taylor, and the film went ahead, its atmosphere of treachery somehow improved by the ambiguity.
        http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue02...s/bigsleep.htm

So...who knows? I'm pretty sure I remember my professor making a point about mentioning that the murder is left loose.

Does anyone else have an opinion besides Drags and I? Now I'm confused.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
          I found this:
          SPOILERS!

Joe Brody killed Owen Taylor and pushed his car into the ocean to get the film from Geiger's camera back

http://www.reelclassics.com/Movies/B...p/bigsleep.htm
          Seems strange, as the above was my exact explanation earlier as to what had happened. Hmm. I'll just have too look it up later when the dvd arrives.

There has to be others here who've seen this, step up bitches!
          Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Bitches hatin' on the noir!

I ordered a some noir from that Deep Discount sale and am waiting for them to come in. I bought:

Suddenly
            Touch of Evil
            The Maltese Falcon
            Film Noir Classics Collection Vol 1.: The Asphalt Jungle / Gun Crazy / Murder My Sweet / Out of the Past / The Set-Up
            Nightmare Alley
            Angels with Dirty Faces
            Big Combo

Should be a fun summer.
            sigpic

Comment

After all this time, that's all you ordered!? Shameful.

Suspense as startling as a strangled scream! This is it, the defining motion picture in all of "film noir," written by Academy Award-nominee Martin Goldsmith (The Narrow Margin) and directed by legendary B-movie maker Edgar G. Ulmer (Daughter of Dr. Jekyll, The Black Cat). Tom Neal (The Brute Man, The Pride of the Yankees), handsome 1940's leading man, brings to thrilling life a down-on-his-luck nightclub performer who takes one wrong turn and picks up the meanest femme fatale in all of "noir," played to perfection by the incomparable Ann Savage (The Dark Horse, The Spider) in one of the most powerful and riveting performances ever recorded on celluloid.

A notably bleak and dreary noir, quite possibly the blackest i've seen. Not much in the way of production values, but makes up for it in intensity and despair. Well worth checking out for those in need of something against the most often everything will work out in the end grain of Hollywood films.
              Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

That's just the noir I ordered. I also got:
                To Catch A Thief
                Bird with the Crystal Plumage
                The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
                Rio Bravo
                Detective
                The Conformist
                Four of the Apocolypse
                Marlon Brando Collection with On the Waterfront, The Wild One, and The Freshman
                East of Eden
                Giant
                Them!/The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
                Following
                Tony Rome
                Von Ryan's Express

Forgot to add Night of the Hunter to that noir list. Told you I'd make an order this time.
                sigpic

Comment

Never mind me, i'm just jealous because I still don't own The Maltese Falcon. Really like to get my hands on Rio Bravo as well. Glad you ended up grabbing Four horse after all, it's among Fulci's best.

I've really been lazy in regard to this thread (to posting on BD in general), figuring no one really cared. We should say fuck it and post reviews for ourselves and a select few anyway.
                  Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

i love the noir genre in film. there's just something about the atmosphere and the plots that's so interesting. no one i know is into 'old' movies. too bad,since there are so many gems in the film noir genre.
                    Pinhead: Time to play...
                    Kirsty Cotton: Wait!
                    Pinhead: No more deals child, it is your flesh we want to experience, not your skill at bargaining.
                    Kirsty Cotton: No deals, just information, just information!
                    Pinhead: Go on... but trick us again child, and your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!

Comment

Originally posted by Count Dragula View Post

I've really been lazy in regard to this thread (to posting on BD in general), figuring no one really cared. We should say fuck it and post reviews for ourselves and a select few anyway.
                      Indeed! Fuck everyone. I was thinking of profiling a film a day or something like that to maybe spark some interest. I thought there'd be a few people around here that would be interested but I guess not. Lame ass kids.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty much just guilty of not having the cash to have gotten as many noir films as I'd like to have gotten.

Comment

You fucked up Doc, you fucked up.

Keep your eyes on Turner Classic Movies, earlier today they played In a Lonely Place with Bogart. I hate tv, so I miss more than I see but thankfully they list their schedule well in advance on their website.

http://www.tcm.com/index.jsp
                          Infini-Tropolis.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                            I'm pretty much just guilty of not having the cash to have gotten as many noir films as I'd like to have gotten.
                            Pretty much my situation.

All my attn has been given to my usual Italian interests and have been totally neglecting my other interests Classic Hammers,Universals,Noir,etc. because I have a bunch on tape.

Problem is my tapes are all in boxes upstairs and it takes me at least an hour to find anything I'm looking for...and I'm a lazy bastard.

I need to make a list so I know what to look for on TCM.

Good to see DETOUR get some love up in here.

One of my favs...along with D.O.A.
                            Last edited by superfry; 06-25-2007, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I just saw Chinatown and i liked it. What are some other good film noir movies?

mydvds

Comment

Originally posted by LeatherFace666 View Post
                                I just saw Chinatown and i liked it. What are some other good film noir movies?
                                The movies mentioned in this thread...

Comment

Working...
                                X