This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeatherFace666 View Post
    I just saw Chinatown and i liked it. What are some other good film noir movies?
    Brick.

Honestly.

Comment

I just got a Laura Poster.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
        I just got a Laura Poster.

Very Nice!
        I love this film....and that's some nice artwork

Comment

Shut up! It says Artwork not found. It was there before, I swear!

Hope it works this time.

I just got Squirm. Hopefully I get a chance to watch it before voting comes around.
          sigpic

Comment

Cast:
            Frank Sinatra ... John Baron
            Sterling Hayden ... Sheriff Tod Shaw, Suddenly California
            James Gleason ... Peter ('Pop') Benson
            Nancy Gates ... Ellen Benson
            Kim Charney ... Peter Benson III (Pidge)

Plot: The tranquility of a small town is marred only by sheriff Tod Shaw's unsuccessful courtship of widow Ellen Benson, a pacifist who can't abide guns and those who use them. But violence descends on Ellen's household willy-nilly when the U.S. President passes through town... and slightly psycho hired assassin John Baron finds the Benson home ideal for an ambush

I watched this last night and it wasn't too great but it was still enjoyable. Some of the dialog is really dated and comes across a bit cheesy. There was nothing really too amazing about the film other than the acting of Sinatra. He plays the bad guy and he does a damn great job at it.

Most of the film takes place inside the a house and is entirely in the daytime. I was a little disappointed because I thought it was going to be better but I have no real complaints with the film other than it being average all around. There's an electrocution scene that's pretty funny, though.
            sigpic

Comment

I've had Suddenly sitting on my shelf for a few months now, and haven't watched it yet. Maybe I will now...

Comment

Has anyone seen, 'Wet Asphalt?' It was remastered and released by Dark Sky...

Comment

Kiss me Deadly - The best Noir ever in my opinion
                  Maltese falcon
                  Sin City

Comment

Originally posted by leatherface_101 View Post
                    Sin City
                    Blah.......

Comment

Great thread !

Defiantly filled my Netflix Queue in the last few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Count Dragula View Post
                        I've really been lazy in regard to this thread (to posting on BD in general), figuring no one really cared. We should say fuck it and post reviews for ourselves and a select few anyway.
                        Stupid whore!

I watched this tonight:

"A MAN - Trying to run away from his past... A WOMAN - Trying to escape her future!"

Plot: Jeff Bailey, small-town gas pumper, has his mysterious past catch up with him one day when he's ordered to meet with gambler Whit Sterling. En route to the meeting, he tells girlfriend Ann his story. Flashback: Once, Jeff was a private eye hired by Sterling to find his mistress Kathie who shot Whit and absconded with $40,000. He traces her to Acapulco...where the delectable Kathie makes Jeff forget all about Sterling... Back in the present, Whit's new job for Jeff is clearly a trap, but Jeff's precautions only leave him more tightly enmeshed...

Directed by: Jacques Tourneur
                        Cast: Robert Mitchum ... Jeff Bailey, aka Jeff Markham
                        Jane Greer ... Kathie Moffat
                        Kirk Douglas ... Whit Sterling
                        Rhonda Fleming ... Meta Carson
                        Richard Webb ... Jim 'Jimmy'
                        Steve Brodie ... Jack Fisher

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039689/

First off, this movie was outstanding. One of the best noirs I have seen so far. I wouldn't say there was one weak aspect to this movie as far as noir goes. The cinematography and lighting were amazing and completely exude atmosphere.

The dialogue was snappy and top notch. There are so many memorable lines in the movie it's hard to even begin:

Kathie Moffett: Oh, Jeff, I don't want to die!
                        Jeff Bailey: Neither do I, baby, but if I have to I'm gonna die last.

Whit Sterling: My feelings? About ten years ago, I hid them somewhere and haven't been able to find them.

Whit Sterling: Joe couldn't find a prayer in the Bible.

Leonard Eels: All women are wonders, because they reduce all men to the obvious.

Here's a good quote that sums up the film beautifully as far as plot goes:

"The quintessential classic film noir masterpiece from RKO, a definitive flashback film of melodramatic doom, contains all the elements of the genre. First and foremost, there is an irresistible but deadly, chameleon-like femme fatale (Greer) who is the object of romantic fascination for both a detective Mitchum) and a gangster (Douglas). Themes of betrayal, passion, and a cynical, perverse, and a morally ambiguous atmosphere are all interwoven and entangled together in a confusing and convoluted dark plot (mixing narrative flashback with linear narrative) with both double- and triple-crosses. Eventually, all three individuals meet their inescapable, tragic ends typical of a Shakespearean-level tragedy."

http://www.filmsite.org/outo.html
                        Ending
                        [SPOILER]The death of Bailey had me a little bummed but it fit his character and the story perfectly. [/SPOILER]

Definitely recommended.

I spend all this time and the stupid whore still doesn't show his face.
                        Last edited by Tool Shed; 08-20-2007, 05:11 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                          Blah.......

hahaha...I knew someone wouldn't like sin city as a 'noir' lol

Btw is your sig from El Topo? cos its coming to a cinema near me and i was wondering if its any good pm me about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
                            Stupid whore!

I watched this tonight:

"A MAN - Trying to run away from his past... A WOMAN - Trying to escape her future!"

Plot: Jeff Bailey, small-town gas pumper, has his mysterious past catch up with him one day when he's ordered to meet with gambler Whit Sterling. En route to the meeting, he tells girlfriend Ann his story. Flashback: Once, Jeff was a private eye hired by Sterling to find his mistress Kathie who shot Whit and absconded with $40,000. He traces her to Acapulco...where the delectable Kathie makes Jeff forget all about Sterling... Back in the present, Whit's new job for Jeff is clearly a trap, but Jeff's precautions only leave him more tightly enmeshed...

Directed by: Jacques Tourneur
                            Cast: Robert Mitchum ... Jeff Bailey, aka Jeff Markham
                            Jane Greer ... Kathie Moffat
                            Kirk Douglas ... Whit Sterling
                            Rhonda Fleming ... Meta Carson
                            Richard Webb ... Jim 'Jimmy'
                            Steve Brodie ... Jack Fisher

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039689/

First off, this movie was outstanding. One of the best noirs I have seen so far. I wouldn't say there was one weak aspect to this movie as far as noir goes. The cinematography and lighting were amazing and completely exude atmosphere.

The dialogue was snappy and top notch. There are so many memorable lines in the movie it's hard to even begin:

Kathie Moffett: Oh, Jeff, I don't want to die!
                            Jeff Bailey: Neither do I, baby, but if I have to I'm gonna die last.

Whit Sterling: My feelings? About ten years ago, I hid them somewhere and haven't been able to find them.

Whit Sterling: Joe couldn't find a prayer in the Bible.

Leonard Eels: All women are wonders, because they reduce all men to the obvious.

Here's a good quote that sums up the film beautifully as far as plot goes:

"The quintessential classic film noir masterpiece from RKO, a definitive flashback film of melodramatic doom, contains all the elements of the genre. First and foremost, there is an irresistible but deadly, chameleon-like femme fatale (Greer) who is the object of romantic fascination for both a detective Mitchum) and a gangster (Douglas). Themes of betrayal, passion, and a cynical, perverse, and a morally ambiguous atmosphere are all interwoven and entangled together in a confusing and convoluted dark plot (mixing narrative flashback with linear narrative) with both double- and triple-crosses. Eventually, all three individuals meet their inescapable, tragic ends typical of a Shakespearean-level tragedy."

http://www.filmsite.org/outo.html
                            Ending
                            [SPOILER]The death of Bailey had me a little bummed but it fit his character and the story perfectly. [/SPOILER]

Definitely recommended.

I spend all this time and the stupid whore still doesn't show his face.
                            My friend gave me a copy of this. I kept putting off checking it out...
                            Assassins"Official Facebook Page"

Check out my NEW official website HERE.

Comment

Originally posted by leatherface_101 View Post
                              hahaha...I knew someone wouldn't like sin city as a 'noir' lol

Because it isn't.
                              sigpic

Comment

Nightmare Alley (1947)

Directed by: Edmund Goulding

Starring:
                                Tyrone Power - Stanton 'Stan' Carlisle
                                Joan Blondell - Zeena Krumbein
                                Coleen Gray - Molly Carlisle
                                Helen Walker - Lilith Ritter
                                Taylor Holmes - Ezra Grindle
                                Mike Mazurki - Bruno

I am not going to go into extreme details about every character or the plot as I feel it could be spoiled.

Carnies, Tarot Cards, Psychics", oh my! When the film started and I saw the carnival setting, I knew I was going to love it. Carnies in a noir? Awesome. We've all heard the stories of convict, druggie, carnival workers and their less than perfect past. A perfect setting for the genre.

The Great Mademoiselle Zeena

Nightmare Alley tells the story of the rise and fall Stan Carlisle, a carnie who is unhappy with his job and wants to move on to other bigger and better things. When he finds out that two of his co-carnies, Zeena and Pete, used to be top rate husband and wife "psychic" nightclub act, he sets his mind on obtaining their secret. (Without going to far into detail, one would collect items from the audience and through code tell the other one what it was, and the other. while blindfolded, would recite what the item was. Pete became an alcoholic, so they lost the fame and fortune.)

Stan and Z.

Stan tries to woo over Zeena into giving him the code but she refuses on the account of her husband. When Pete dies due to an accident...The doors of opportunity fly open for Stan and it begins a dark tale of deceit and greed.

Stan and the Beautiful Molly.

Tyrone Power was perfect for the role of Stan and as I found out from the infamous Wikipedia, he bought the rights to the novel so he specifically could play the lead role. He's charismatic and charming but at the same time, unlikable and unsympathetic. When his character starts to descend I couldn't help but think he deserved every bad thing that happened to him considering what he did to get where he did.

And what noir is complete without a hot dame...In comes Molly played by Colleen Gray. Her character is a perfect contrast to that of Stan's. She's sweet, innocent, and lovable. She is a bit immature and naive when it comes to Stan's motives but she can't help but do anything for the man she loves. With that said, I could see some people getting annoyed with her character. She comes off as whiny at points but it really worked for me.

Beyond the characters and the plot, this movie really shined in itss darkness. The sets were highly complimented by the typical noir style of lighting, especially the carnival. Lots of dark shadows engulfing the sets, accenting them at the same time, even in daylight. The cinematography was also top notch with some interesting framing and movement.

**Minor Spoilers Ahead**

The only thing I didn't really care for about this movie was how in the end, Stan became Pete and Molly became Zeena. (Interesting note: The male names both have four letters and the females, 5.) He literally became the drunken, sad sap and Molly the caring wife. Not only that, he became what he inquired about in the beginning of the film, the geek.

**End Spoilers**

All and all, I recommend this movie to anyone who is a not just of noir but of drama as well. This is not a fast paced, action thriller full of suspense and mystery. There's a fair share of seedy individuals and actions but no car chases or private detectives.

8/10

(Excuse the scatter brainedness of this.)
                                Last edited by Tool Shed; 10-10-2007, 11:09 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X