The Films of Darren Aronofsky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Films of Darren Aronofsky

Without a doubt, one of my favorite filmmakers working today. He's 3 for 3 in my book and it seems with every film he gets better to some extent. His films are full of emotion. I'm a sucker for visuals and colors and he brings it with every film. I hope he continues to do great work in the future.

I don't think I could pick a favorite because I like his films for different reasons.

Clint Mansell is also an amazing composer that adds layer after layer to the films.

I sadly haven't seen any of his shorts.
    sigpic

Indeed one of the best directors working today.

Requiem is fantastic...so damn gritty and powerful. Top performances from everyone... Ellen Burstyn was the icing on the cake. She was absolutely amazing.

The Fountain is already one of my alltime favorites. One of the most beautiful movies I'v ever seen. Gained a lot of respect for Jackman after watching this.

I haven't seen PI yet.

Comment

Good thread Tool Shed. My favorite is The Fountain, no doubt. Requiem is my least favorite, but that movie is still amazing. Can't wait for his newer stuff.
      Recently watched films:

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie: (7.5/10)
      The Hurt Locker: (8.75/10)
      Raging Bull: (10.0/10)
      Umberto D.: (10.0/10)
      The Wild Bunch: (9.5/10)
      Ordinary People: (10.0/10)
      Food Inc.: (8.0/10)
      Road to Perdition: (8.5/10)

Comment

I liked Requiem, thought The Fountain looked and sounded really pretentious but I haven't watched it yet.

Comment

Requiem is the only film of his that I liked. Can't remember much of Pi aside the fact I was pretty bored till the skull drill. And the Fountain was visually interesting bug the movie draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaged.
          If I win the lottery, I'm keeping you in an endless sea of bitches.

Comment

Pi's my favorite of his...but I love all of his flicks so far. I really wish he got more accolades for how good he really is.
            Wii: 2401 9155 1089 4233
            MK Wii: 2020-0595-4746
            My DVDs
            Facebook
            MySpace

Comment

Requiem For a Dream is my all time favorite movie. Everything about the film is just astonishing. Love the look and feel of the entrie film. The soundtrack really kicks ass too. Pi is amazing and really good. The Fountain is my least favorite although it's a solid movie.
              Sometimes, you just have to be offensive to offensive people - Max Nofziger

Comment

One of the best American directors in the biz today. The Fountain is my personal favorite of his. I love Pi also. I think it's one of the best independent films of the 90's.

Requiem For A Dream is good, but it's also my least favorite. I also think it is incredibly overhyped, but I suppose that's just due to the generation we live. I keep seeing it thrown in with other inappropriate titles for best films of all time, like Fight Club and Donnie Darko . Don't get me wrong, I liked Requiem, but I just don't think it's as fantastic and amazing as people these days make it out to be.
                Last 6 Films Seen:
                The Element of Crime - 5.0/5.0
                To Live and Die in L.A. - 4.0/5.0
                The Art of War - 1.5/5.0
                Open Range - 3.5/5.0
                The Missing - 4.0/5.0
                The Mark of the Devil - 2.0/5.0

My DVD Collection

Hopefully, in november people will use their common sense and vote for John McCain.

You should be ashamed of yourself for calling him a robot.
                I looked at your profile and your taste in music is as abhorrent as your political beliefs.

Comment

Haven't seen The fountain yet, but he's 2 for 2 that I have seen

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
                  Clint Mansell is also an amazing composer that adds layer after layer to the films.
                  Clint Mansell is the shit. Especially his band Pop Will Eat Itself.

Comment

Thumbs up for Requiem, thumbs down for The Fountain.
                    The potential is there totally, but I found The Fountain tried too much with little effect. The story jumps between the time periods too blunt and overcasual that you seem to miss something... and the ending was weak.

Comment

Darren Aronofsy is great. I hope he still has a lot of emotion in his next film The Wrestler. I whould like to see him do some of his own material again.

Fav movies

Requiem For A Dream
                      The Fountain
                      Pi

mydvds

Comment

Originally posted by depecheanix View Post
                        I liked Requiem, thought The Fountain looked and sounded really pretentious but I haven't watched it yet.
                        You've described yourself as a whore for visuals so I think you'll really dig it on at least that level. The sets, lighting, costumes, and colors are beautiful.

The acting in the film is also top notch.

Originally posted by iamlove View Post
                        Requiem For A Dream is good, but it's also my least favorite. I also think it is incredibly overhyped, but I suppose that's just due to the generation we live. I keep seeing it thrown in with other inappropriate titles for best films of all time, like Fight Club and Donnie Darko . Don't get me wrong, I liked Requiem, but I just don't think it's as fantastic and amazing as people these days make it out to be.
                        I love Requiem. It's so dark and hopless. What I find interesting is that most of the people I know who call this their favorite were hardcore drug users the first time they saw the movie and continued to be so afterwards. I'm not saying the movie was going to change their mind about drugs or anything like but I guess they could relate to the characters on the same level.

With that said, you certainly don't have to be a drug addict to relate to them.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Shed View Post
                          You've described yourself as a whore for visuals so I think you'll really dig it on at least that level. The sets, lighting, costumes, and colors are beautiful.

The acting in the film is also top notch.
                          Hmm I'll pick it up at some point. I heard many people say the films themes are really emphasized and hammed on in a pretentious way which sounds sort of annoying, but like I said I'll pick it up at some point. I loved Requiem and think it's one of the best films of the decade so I'll give him benefit of the doubt.

Still haven't seen Pi but want to.

Comment

The Fountain is anything but pretentious.

It's just a beautiful movie that makes you think about your existense.

Comment

Does anyone have The Fountain Director's Commentary?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X