Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by rusted31 View Post
    Another observation on the cops. They all emerge from the sewers after three months looking like they just stepped out of the shower, then decide to go charging head on into a group of men with machine guns.
    Well, to be fair, the machine guns were more of a fashion statement than anything. I think the cops were tipped off that the bad guys had never actually fired one of them before.

    Worst. Henchmen. Ever.
    Last edited by Heretic; 12-05-2012, 02:47 PM.


    Comment


    • Dredd better than The Dark Knight Rises?

      B-D Forum Rules l Forum Tips For Noobs l Posting Made Easy

      Comment


      • Originally posted by rusted31 View Post
        Another observation on the cops. They all emerge from the sewers after three months looking like they just stepped out of the shower, then decide to go charging head on into a group of men with machine guns.
        That bugged me too. I couldn't figure out why the city was held hostage for that long, as the ultimate goal is still to destroy Gotham. Why wait? Also, why didn't the Army or National Guard step in and do something?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Klown View Post
          That bugged me too. I couldn't figure out why the city was held hostage for that long, as the ultimate goal is still to destroy Gotham. Why wait?
          That was the main thing that bugged me about the film.
          54 Hookers and Counting....

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Klown View Post
            That bugged me too. I couldn't figure out why the city was held hostage for that long, as the ultimate goal is still to destroy Gotham. Why wait? Also, why didn't the Army or National Guard step in and do something?
            The national guard approached the henchmen on the bridge and they were told that if there were any outside interference then they would detonate the bomb.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Klown View Post
              Also, why didn't the Army or National Guard step in and do something?
              Nobody could leave or come in. Demands of Bane.
              B-D Forum Rules l Forum Tips For Noobs l Posting Made Easy

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Shape View Post
                Nobody could leave or come in. Demands of Bane.
                Except for Batman. He magically gets to re-enter the city after traveling around the world despite having no money or resources.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                  Except for Batman. He magically gets to re-enter the city after traveling around the world despite having no money or resources.
                  I copied this from IMDB but it explains things perfectly:

                  It was never stated where the prison was. So we have no idea how long it takes to get there. When Alfred mentions it to Bruce early on, he says in an "some more ancient part of the world." (The fort is in Jodhpur, India). It is also revealed that Miranda/Talia has a plane, when she says to Bruce: "We could leave. Tonight. Take my plane. Go anywhere we wanted." When Bane seized the reactor, it was mentioned that they had about 5 months before it blew up. That gives Bruce enough time for a return trip from anywhere in the world. Gotham wasn't technically quarantined, as food shipments were allowed in. Citizens just weren't allowed out. That's how the Special Forces team managed to get into the city. Not to mention, Bruce was able to travel around the world living among the criminal underworld for 7 years when he ran away from Gotham. Therefore he clearly has the knowledge and capability to survive without his fortunes. The mythos of the Bane character tells us that the prison that Bane escaped is located on fictional island republic called Santa Prisca in the Caribbean Sea, which would have made for a very short flight for Bane and Bruce, though it's never specified in the movie.

                  One possible theory is that he can walk on ice with 'sure-footing' as shown in his training with Ra's al Ghul in the first film, Batman Begins . This is actually confirmed visually when Batman meets Gordon halfway along the ice, walking effortlessly towards him. Another idea is that as Wayne Manor is said to be located outside the city limits (and perhaps off the main island of Gotham), he could have gone back to his home and taken the Bat and flown to the bridge or just beyond it. The last time wee see the Bat landing is inside the Batcave as Batman returns after dropping off Selina Kyle. This last theory is supported by the notion that Wayne Manor is not shown to have been looted and occupied by the Blackgate Prison escapees. It is also shown in a Map of Gotham city produced as part of the viral marketing, similarly to other known maps of Gotham from comics, that Wayne Manor is outside of the main set of islands that were under Bane's martial law. The film itself establishes direct explanation for getting onto the island, with the CIA agents sneaking into Gotham undercover as men delivering supplies. This may not have been the route Wayne took to get back, but it proves that other people were also successfully sneaking into the city during Occupied Gotham. In the end a guy like Bruce Wayne, while living a double life as Batman for a few years, probably learned of several or many different ways to gain access to a city that could be so easily cut off from the outside world, i.e., as Batman, he'd have to know alternate routes and access points to track criminals and find their hideouts, etc.

                  Comment


                  • The whole walking on ice scene is also iffy.

                    When they first show that scene there are three guys on the ice and one falls through. Later, when Gordon is on the ice there's at least a dozen of people, plus Batman and not one crack ?

                    This film is filled with silly moments. If a hack directed it I'd probably look past the flaws but from Nolan there's no excuse.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Klown View Post
                      Why wait?
                      I think Bane wanted Gotham to have false hope and suffer a while.

                      Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                      Except for Batman. He magically gets to re-enter the city after traveling around the world despite having no money or resources.
                      He's a ninja like that.

                      I really think Batman whupping Bane's ass himself might have really helped the film a bunch. That is my biggest gripe.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by rusted31 View Post
                        When they first show that scene there are three guys on the ice and one falls through. Later, when Gordon is on the ice there's at least a dozen of people, plus Batman and not one crack ?
                        Is it impossible for the weather to have gotten colder therefore making the ice thicker?

                        Looking for stupid mistakes as that is definitely a good way to ruin movies for yourself.

                        This film is filled with silly moments. If a hack directed it I'd probably look past the flaws but from Nolan there's no excuse.
                        You see the same kind of mistakes from comics. And I think Nolan's films did a good job of making you feel like you were watching a comic book. That's what I love about all these movies.
                        B-D Forum Rules l Forum Tips For Noobs l Posting Made Easy

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by MovieGeek View Post
                          I copied this from IMDB but it explains things perfectly:

                          It was never stated where the prison was. So we have no idea how long it takes to get there. When Alfred mentions it to Bruce early on, he says in an "some more ancient part of the world." (The fort is in Jodhpur, India). It is also revealed that Miranda/Talia has a plane, when she says to Bruce: "We could leave. Tonight. Take my plane. Go anywhere we wanted." When Bane seized the reactor, it was mentioned that they had about 5 months before it blew up. That gives Bruce enough time for a return trip from anywhere in the world. Gotham wasn't technically quarantined, as food shipments were allowed in. Citizens just weren't allowed out. That's how the Special Forces team managed to get into the city. Not to mention, Bruce was able to travel around the world living among the criminal underworld for 7 years when he ran away from Gotham. Therefore he clearly has the knowledge and capability to survive without his fortunes. The mythos of the Bane character tells us that the prison that Bane escaped is located on fictional island republic called Santa Prisca in the Caribbean Sea, which would have made for a very short flight for Bane and Bruce, though it's never specified in the movie.

                          One possible theory is that he can walk on ice with 'sure-footing' as shown in his training with Ra's al Ghul in the first film, Batman Begins . This is actually confirmed visually when Batman meets Gordon halfway along the ice, walking effortlessly towards him. Another idea is that as Wayne Manor is said to be located outside the city limits (and perhaps off the main island of Gotham), he could have gone back to his home and taken the Bat and flown to the bridge or just beyond it. The last time wee see the Bat landing is inside the Batcave as Batman returns after dropping off Selina Kyle. This last theory is supported by the notion that Wayne Manor is not shown to have been looted and occupied by the Blackgate Prison escapees. It is also shown in a Map of Gotham city produced as part of the viral marketing, similarly to other known maps of Gotham from comics, that Wayne Manor is outside of the main set of islands that were under Bane's martial law. The film itself establishes direct explanation for getting onto the island, with the CIA agents sneaking into Gotham undercover as men delivering supplies. This may not have been the route Wayne took to get back, but it proves that other people were also successfully sneaking into the city during Occupied Gotham. In the end a guy like Bruce Wayne, while living a double life as Batman for a few years, probably learned of several or many different ways to gain access to a city that could be so easily cut off from the outside world, i.e., as Batman, he'd have to know alternate routes and access points to track criminals and find their hideouts, etc.
                          I feel like fans have to make excuses for lazy screenwriting. That's what those two giant paragraphs are: excuses.

                          It doesn't make sense he magically re-entered Gotham. It just doesn't. The whole ice thing is silly as well, even with point by point explanations. Nolan isn't usually one to keep these trivial details out, and he failed to cover all parts in this film.

                          edit

                          I'm usually a fan of ambiguity in films, I love having to think for myself. However, it doesn't work in these movies at these moments. It isn't a big open ending part of the film, its a simple Point A to Point B scene that doesn't make sense. Like I said, Nolan usually is better at filling in the important blanks.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                            I feel like fans have to make excuses for lazy screenwriting. That's what those two giant paragraphs are: excuses.

                            It doesn't make sense he magically re-entered Gotham. It just doesn't. The whole ice thing is silly as well, even with point by point explanations. Nolan isn't usually one to keep these trivial details out, and he failed to cover all parts in this film.

                            edit

                            I'm usually a fan of ambiguity in films, I love having to think for myself. However, it doesn't work in these movies at these moments. It isn't a big open ending part of the film, its a simple Point A to Point B scene that doesn't make sense. Like I said, Nolan usually is better at filling in the important blanks.

                            Totally agree. I get that the fans of the film will defend the movie anyway they can, but the ice and him getting back into Gotham are two massive plot holes.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
                              I feel like fans have to make excuses for lazy screenwriting. That's what those two giant paragraphs are: excuses.
                              They're more like explanations...made for the haters who will try and find problems and flaws with this movie any way they can. *cough*

                              If I actually looked for flaws in movies I'd wind up disliking 90% of the movies I watch.
                              B-D Forum Rules l Forum Tips For Noobs l Posting Made Easy

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Shape View Post
                                They're more like explanations...made for the haters who will try and find problems and flaws with this movie any way they can. *cough*

                                If I actually looked for flaws in movies I'd wind up disliking 90% of the movies I watch.
                                I wanted to like this movie... I wasn't ardently searching for flaws so I could dislike it. They stuck out and unfortunately made me care for the film less. The flaws exist, I'm not trying my hardest to see them. I want to watch this movie again and again until the flaws I found in it no longer seem like flaws. I don't see that happening, the problems with this movie are much more obvious than other films of such and epic caliber.

                                Believe me, I was super jacked about this film, I'm a huge fan of the first two. I still like this one a lot, but it's not nearly as concise or well-constructed. Don't tell me I'm hating this movie on purpose, I'm upset that it isn't as good as it could have been.

                                edit

                                and yes, they're explanations. Explanations that use subjective and circumstantial facts. Anybody could explain these plotholes using their imagination if they look at the products as a whole, unfortunately I expect more from Nolan. Like I previously said, he normally doesn't allow such flaws to slip by.
                                Last edited by The Revelator; 12-05-2012, 11:16 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X