Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parks and Recreation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Parks and Recreation



    A synopsis from Wikipedia:

    "The series follows the ambitions of perennially upbeat mid-level bureaucrat Leslie Knope, on her quest to better the town of Pawnee, Indiana. As deputy director of the city's Parks and Recreation Department, her sense of enthusiasm is rarely shared by her unmotivated colleagues, who include the wisecracking Tom, placid city planner Mark Brendanawicz, deadpan department head Ron Swanson, and his droll assistant April Ludgate. Leslie's newly found best friend is a local nurse Ann Perkins, whom she meets when Ann's immature boyfriend Andy Dwyer tumbles into a large pit near their house. Leslie takes on the quest to turn the pit into a park, which becomes her ultimate personal project. However, she finds herself repeatedly frustrated by bureaucrats and townspeople who stand in her way. While the pit-park storyline occupied the show's first season, the pit was filled in during second season, and the plot gradually began to explore Leslie's other projects and personal issues, including a fledgling romance. The second season also focuses on the personal lives of all of the Parks Department employees, as well as Ann's new romance with Mark and April's affections for Ann's ex-boyfriend, Andy."

    When the show first premiered last spring, it mostly received negative reviews. However, much like the American version of The Office, this show has steadily improved in its second season. In my own humble opinion, it's the best prime time comedy on network tv right now.

    [YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBBh7KKD-Hc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBBh7KKD-Hc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

    Does anyone else here watch the show?
    54 Hookers and Counting....

  • #2
    You know it man , definitely one of my favorite shows now, and has replaced The Office as my favorite sitcom. Ron Swanson's my favorite character. And I agree with Questlove(drummer for The Roots), this show's like the Wu Tang Clan of comedies. Granted, you could say the same about The Office, but I like Parks' ensemble cast more at this point.



    Saw the picnic episode last night,

    Leslie - '....I made you some bacon to snack on.'

    Ron - 'I ate it already....I smelled it before I got out of my car. And now it's gone and I hate everything.

    Felt bad for April though, she looked so hurt/disappointed when Andy left her at the bar.
    'life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come'

    - Lester Freamon

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
      You know it man , definitely one of my favorite shows now, and has replaced The Office as my favorite sitcom. Ron Swanson's my favorite character. And I agree with Questlove(drummer for The Roots), this show's like the Wu Tang Clan of comedies. Granted, you could say the same about The Office, but I like Parks' ensemble cast more at this point.
      Funny that you should mention that...


      [YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtEPkgweWLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtEPkgweWLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]


      Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
      Saw the picnic episode last night,

      Leslie - '....I made you some bacon to snack on.'

      Ron - 'I ate it already....I smelled it before I got out of my car. And now it's gone and I hate everything.
      *cue Ron running away*

      Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
      Felt bad for April though, she looked so hurt/disappointed when Andy left her at the bar.
      I have a feeling their will they/won't they relationship will be left on a cliffhanger during the season finale. I also feel like all that build up will be wasted if Andy just gets back with Anne(which could be a possibility).
      Last edited by H.P. Pufncraft; 03-30-2010, 03:51 PM.
      54 Hookers and Counting....

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
        Funny that you should mention that...


        [YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtEPkgweWLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtEPkgweWLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

        That's where I got it from, evidently Questlove wrote an essay analyzing the similarities between the Parks cast and Wu Tang.

        Amy - '...I've heard the Wu Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with.'

        RZA - 'That's right...bring the motherfuckin' ruckus baby.'


        Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post

        *cue Ron running away*



        I have a feeling their will they/won't they relationship will be left on a cliffhanger during the season finale. I feel like all that build up will be wasted, though, if Andy just gets back with Anne(which could be a possibility).
        Yea, genuinely don't know which way it's going. Ann seems pretty unenthusiastic about Mark, and she's thinking about Andy a lot more.
        'life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come'

        - Lester Freamon

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
          That's where I got it from, evidently Questlove wrote an essay analyzing the similarities between the Parks cast and Wu Tang.

          Amy - '...I've heard the Wu Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck with.'

          RZA - 'That's right...bring the motherfuckin' ruckus baby.'


          Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
          Yea, genuinely don't know which way it's going. Ann seems pretty unenthusiastic about Mark, and she's thinking about Andy a lot more.
          I'm glad Ann finally realized what a boring couple she and Mark are. The audience has known that for quite a while.

          It's too bad the show's on a month-long hiatus right now, just when things were getting really interesting.

          EDIT: I just found a pretty good bio of April on the Parks and Recreation website.

          http://www.pawneeindiana.com/parks-a...talog/#catalog

          "April Ludgate was born in Björk’s house in Iceland and grew up on Easter Island, where her parents were giant stone heads. She has the ability to fire beams of tacos out of her hands and she can turn her legs into tigers. On Sundays, April enjoys reading Family Circus and traveling through time. Her favorite color is greenish-transparent and her favorite movie is the one you just watched. April is in charge of uploading the staff bios to the website, and no one has checked over her work."

          Last edited by H.P. Pufncraft; 03-30-2010, 06:33 PM.
          54 Hookers and Counting....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post




            I'm glad Ann finally realized what a boring couple she and Mark are. The audience has known that for quite a while.

            It's too bad the show's on a month-long hiatus right now, just when things were getting really interesting.
            Yea, even when Mark does have a funny line, it's usually eclipsed by someone else. Like when Ron taught everyone self defense,

            Andy - '...Should I put Mark in a headlock to show how to escape from a pervert?'

            Mark - 'In the scenario you laid out, you're the pervert. You understand that, right?'

            Andy - 'Tssst...you wish.'




            Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
            EDIT: I just found a pretty good bio of April on the Parks and Recreation website.

            http://www.pawneeindiana.com/parks-a...talog/#catalog

            "April Ludgate was born in Björk’s house in Iceland and grew up on Easter Island, where her parents were giant stone heads. She has the ability to fire beams of tacos out of her hands and she can turn her legs into tigers. On Sundays, April enjoys reading Family Circus and traveling through time. Her favorite color is greenish-transparent and her favorite movie is the one you just watched. April is in charge of uploading the staff bios to the website, and no one has checked over her work."

            I think she's adorable.

            After Jerry got 'mugged,'

            Jerry - '...I was walking Lord Sheldon...'

            April - 'Eww, is that some kind of weird sex act?'

            Jerry - 'Lord Sheldon is my dog, my wife named him.'

            April - 'Eww.'
            'life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come'

            - Lester Freamon

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
              Yea, even when Mark does have a funny line, it's usually eclipsed by someone else. Like when Ron taught everyone self defense,

              Andy - '...Should I put Mark in a headlock to show how to escape from a pervert?'

              Mark - 'In the scenario you laid out, you're the pervert. You understand that, right?'

              Andy - 'Tssst...you wish.'
              Mark's sort of the straight man of the group, which doesn't work as well now that they've toned down the wackiness of characters like Leslie.


              Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
              I think she's adorable.
              It's a fact that anything involving tigers is hilarious.

              Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
              After Jerry got 'mugged,'

              Jerry - '...I was walking Lord Sheldon...'

              April - 'Eww, is that some kind of weird sex act?'

              Jerry - 'Lord Sheldon is my dog, my wife named him.'

              April - 'Eww.'
              Yeah, this show has some great lines.

              I wouldn't mind if the show had more merchandise available (I saw a couple Pawnee shirts and a thermos available online).

              I kind of want a MouseRat cd.

              [YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-1FCDKIhIg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-1FCDKIhIg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
              Last edited by H.P. Pufncraft; 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM.
              54 Hookers and Counting....

              Comment


              • #8
                This show is great. Love the cast. Think the fairway frank episode might be one of my favorites.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Apples View Post
                  This show is great. Love the cast. Think the fairway frank episode might be one of my favorites.
                  I remember reading a review for that episode that described Tom running away from the possum as being "pure Simpsons".
                  54 Hookers and Counting....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                    Mark's sort of the straight man of the group, which doesn't work as well now that they've toned down the wackiness of characters like Leslie.

                    I wouldn't mind if the show had more merchandise available (I saw a couple Pawnee shirts and a thermos available online).
                    Pretty much, and it's not like Jim in The Office where he can constantly play off of the other characters' weirdness.

                    I gotta check that stuff out, I'd get a Pawnee t shirt.



                    Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                    I kind of want a MouseRat cd.

                    [YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-1FCDKIhIg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-1FCDKIhIg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                    '...you guilty son of a bitch!'

                    I like MouseRat, I kinda like Ann's idea more though, Baby In A Straightjacket.
                    'life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come'

                    - Lester Freamon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
                      Pretty much, and it's not like Jim in The Office where he can constantly play off of the other characters' weirdness.

                      I gotta check that stuff out, I'd get a Pawnee t shirt.
                      He's pretty much a dull version of Jim.

                      Here's a link to some merchandise:

                      http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/?v=...PRF-TV2-100365

                      Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
                      '...you guilty son of a bitch!'

                      I like MouseRat, I kinda like Ann's idea more though, Baby In A Straightjacket.
                      I'd love for that little ditty to be on the cd as well.

                      I found a description online of the next episode:

                      [SPOILER]94 Meetings" Leslie becomes upset when a former beauty queen and the CEO of Sweetums try to make alterations to a historic town mansion. [/SPOILER]
                      54 Hookers and Counting....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                        He's pretty much a dull version of Jim.

                        Here's a link to some merchandise:

                        http://www.nbcuniversalstore.com/?v=...PRF-TV2-100365
                        Thanks man, you're right though, they need to add more stuff.



                        Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                        I'd love for that little ditty to be on the cd as well.

                        I found a description online of the next episode:

                        [SPOILER]94 Meetings" Leslie becomes upset when a former beauty queen and the CEO of Sweetums try to make alterations to a historic town mansion. [/SPOILER]
                        Sucks we gotta wait a month for it.


                        And I don't know if it's new this season, or if I just forgot about it, but I love the framed poster Ron has in his office. It's just a picture of eggs, bacon, and toast for some reason . I'd want it for laughing purposes, but I wouldn't necessarily wanna hang it up anywhere.
                        'life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come'

                        - Lester Freamon

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
                          Thanks man, you're right though, they need to add more stuff.
                          The possibilities for t-shirts are endless: Flipper and Steve, Tom with his peacocking hat on, and all of the April and Ron-isms.

                          "I was born ready. I was Ron F*cking Swanson."

                          "Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions, Jerry?"



                          Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
                          Sucks we gotta wait a month for it.
                          It used to be that I'd get bummed out when Supernatural went on hiatus. Now I'm that way with Parks and Recreation.

                          Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
                          And I don't know if it's new this season, or if I just forgot about it, but I love the framed poster Ron has in his office. It's just a picture of eggs, bacon, and toast for some reason . I'd want it for laughing purposes, but I wouldn't necessarily wanna hang it up anywhere.
                          The poster used to have a woman in it too, but Ron changed it after his encounter with Tammy, his ex-wife.

                          Yeah, I'm not sure what guests would think if they saw that hanging up, especially if they didn't understand what it was referencing. It would be kind of like wearing Dwight Schrute's wolf shirt.
                          54 Hookers and Counting....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                            The possibilities for t-shirts are endless: Flipper and Steve, Tom with his peacocking hat on, and all of the April and Ron-isms.

                            "I was born ready. I was Ron F*cking Swanson."

                            "Can you Photoshop your life with better decisions, Jerry?"
                            Definitely. I'd love one with that picture of Jerry on his vacation in Muncee, Indiana, just holding the umbrella in that goofy ass way.

                            Or just a picture of Ron and this quote - 'My idea of a perfect government is one guy who sits in a small room at a desk, and the only thing he’s allowed to decide is who to nuke. The man is chosen based on some kind of IQ test, and maybe also a physical tournament, like a decathlon. And women are brought to him, maybe ... when he desires them.'


                            Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                            It used to be that I'd get bummed out when Supernatural went on hiatus. Now I'm that way with Parks and Recreation.
                            Least Breaking Bad's back on.


                            Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                            The poster used to have a woman in it too, but Ron changed it after his encounter with Tammy, his ex-wife.

                            Yeah, I'm not sure what guests would think if they saw that hanging up, especially if they didn't understand what it was referencing. It would be kind of like wearing Dwight Schrute's wolf shirt.
                            Ah, fair enough. Exactly though, that poster would only be funny to me

                            Speaking of Dwight and wolves, probably my favorite of The Office public service announcements -

                            [YOUTUBE]pBautehu0a4[/YOUTUBE]
                            'life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come'

                            - Lester Freamon

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
                              Definitely. I'd love one with that picture of Jerry on his vacation in Muncee, Indiana, just holding the umbrella in that goofy ass way.

                              Or just a picture of Ron and this quote - 'My idea of a perfect government is one guy who sits in a small room at a desk, and the only thing he’s allowed to decide is who to nuke. The man is chosen based on some kind of IQ test, and maybe also a physical tournament, like a decathlon. And women are brought to him, maybe ... when he desires them.'
                              I'd proudly wear both of those shirts.

                              Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
                              Least Breaking Bad's back on.
                              True. I'm really liking the new season so far, especially the cousins.

                              Originally posted by AbsorbantJellyfish View Post
                              Ah, fair enough. Exactly though, that poster would only be funny to me

                              Speaking of Dwight and wolves, probably my favorite of The Office public service announcements -

                              [YOUTUBE]pBautehu0a4[/YOUTUBE]
                              54 Hookers and Counting....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X