Boardwalk Empire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post
    Not a bad finale. I liked how it tied the history Nucky and Gillian together but the final moment was a bit of a stretch and just too damn convenient and lazy.
    I liked it. The twist was alright, and it was true finale that leaves nothing to ponder about, which I liked. I'm getting a bit sick of the whole non-ending finales, where loose ends aren't tied up. That's almost becomming more cliche than what they gave us last night.

Having only 8 episodes really hurt this season. Rumor has it the episodes were cut down because Game of Thrones is chewing up the budget.
    That's a cop out. Boardwalk was just never that popular, and was extremely expensive in it's own right. Be thankful we got five seasons, and a real finale. That show was on the bubble every year past season 2.

Besides those minor gripes I'll miss this show. Definitely one of the most lavish and well written shows to come out of HBO.
    It was a fun ride. Now we need a new gangster series.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
      I liked it. The twist was alright, and it was true finale that leaves nothing to ponder about, which I liked. I'm getting a bit sick of the whole non-ending finales, where loose ends aren't tied up. That's almost becomming more cliche than what they gave us last night.
      It did tie things up and did play into the whole thing of never escaping your past which I liked. It just felt slightly off. I wanted Nuck to live. Too many finale seasons are hellbent on killing off main characters these days.

That's a cop out. Boardwalk was just never that popular, and was extremely expensive in it's own right. Be thankful we got five seasons, and a real finale. That show was on the bubble every year past season 2.
      You don't have to shoot the messenger. I love this show but I read that online somewhere. I'd provide the link if I could find it. It's just weird that we got four full seasons but only eight episodes for a finale.

Comment

You don't have to shoot the messenger. I love this show but I read that online somewhere. I'd provide the link if I could find it. It's just weird that we got four full seasons but only eight episodes for a finale.
        Wherever it came from, it makes little sense. Sure, GOT costs a ton of money, but it also brings in a ton, which is why they get it. It's not GOT's fault that BE doesn't have a very large audience, which makes it hard to justify it's production costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
          Wherever it came from, it makes little sense. Sure, GOT costs a ton of money, but it also brings in a ton, which is why they get it. It's not GOT's fault that BE doesn't have a very large audience, which makes it hard to justify it's production costs.
          Any time a TV show gets its episodes cut it's due to money, not ratings. It happened to True Blood at the peak of its series. Big Love is another one. If ratings were that bad they'd just cancel it. BE audience wasn't exactly huge but there was a dedicated fanbase and it's a critical darling.

Anyway it's all moot now. We got a final season, such as it was.

Comment

Any time a TV show gets its episodes cut it's due to money, not ratings.
            Where do you think that money comes from? On normal television, ratings is what brings in sponsors and ad revenue. On HBO, it's all subscription based, but they've got many ways of figuring out what shows are on fire and driving those subscriptions, and which shows aren't. From everything I've read and heard, Boardwalk Empire was never all that popular and generated little buzz. GOT on the other hand, is a pop culture phenomenon.

It happened to True Blood at the peak of its series. Big Love is another one. If ratings were that bad they'd just cancel it. BE audience wasn't exactly huge but there was a dedicated fanbase and it's a critical darling.
            It's like Deadwood, or Carnivale. A dedicated fanbase, and critical acclaim doesn't pay the bills unfortunately. It's up to HBO figure out if it's worth it, or not to continue funding the show, and I guess in BE's case they didn't think so. Or hey, maybe the creators were actually done with it.

I'm just saying it's really got nothing to do with GOT stealing budget money away from BE. If GOT wasn't a huge hit, it would get jack shit too. GOT earns it's budget by being popular, not by unjustly taking money away from other shows.

Anyway it's all moot now. We got a final season, such as it was.
            Yep.
            Last edited by Heretic; 10-27-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Pretty solid final season/finale considering it was rushed. It really would've been nice to have another season though.

One of my favorite shows on TV. I'll miss it.

My DVD's/Blu's

Comment

Working...
              X