What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxley View Post
    pumkinhead really is an amazing movie, the untold time, the look everything is just great, i've loved that movie since i first saw it on vhs in the early 90's

Comment

• Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

Color me surprised, FAR better than part 4. The tension and scares were there this time. This spinoff isn't flawless, but it's definitely worth watching at least once for fans of the first three PA films. It'll be interesting to see if 5 can manage to top this one. 7/10

Comment

• Island of Lost Souls 10/10

Second viewing, didn't think it possible but I loved it even more.. Fucking brilliant. And the Criterion Blu is boss. "What is the law?"

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
        Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
        My little idiot..

Comment

• Tales from the Darkside: The Movie - is a fun time flick. Another gem that belongs near the top of the list of horror anthology films. It isn't special film making by any means, but it is briskly paced, and exciting til the end.

The film starts with the modern take on Hansel without Gretel, in which a young boy, named Timmy, decides to tell a hungry witch stories from a mysterious book, so she wont devour him for dinner. With this wraparound, the tone is set perfectly, for these stories that both kids and adults would enjoy.

The first story, Lot 249, is definitely the most 'classy' if only for the caliber of actor, alone. You have Steve Buscemi, and Julianne Moore playing sibling rivals in a sort of "Cruel Intentions" type plot... with a mummy. Christian Slater plays the soft hearted boyfriend, charged with revenge after his lover, and best friend are dispatched.

The Cat from Hell was my personal favorite short. It starts with an old man (I remember this guy from the Tales from the Crypt series) inviting a hit man to his home, and charging him with the task of killing a little black cat. What takes place is a perfect blend of cheese, excitement, and effects. The mansion the story takes place in does create an eerie atmosphere, that reminded me of something like Curse of Chucky.

In Lover's Vow, one drunken night, a struggling artist, Preston, sees his friend get decapitated by a demon like creature, who then promises to let him live, if he promises to never speak about what he's seen. Skip 10 years ahead, and Preston is married with a couple of kids, and a demon creature still weighing heavy in his thoughts. As cheesily melodramatic, and predictable as this short is, it still enjoyable mostly for the practical effects.

The ending in which Timmy plots his own escape was , and just the right fit for this film. Overall, Tales from the Darkside is a confident flick that knows what it is. A semi cheesy, Tales from the Crypt/Creepshow esque anthology film with a quick pace, and wonderfully fun effects. 8.5/10
          Last edited by BeRightBack; 03-25-2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post
            Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

Color me surprised, FAR better than part 4. The tension and scares were there this time. This spinoff isn't flawless, but it's definitely worth watching at least once for fans of the first three PA films. It'll be interesting to see if 5 can manage to top this one. 7/10
            I watched PA2 a few weeks ago and was shocked at how bad it was. Saw this leaked today so hopefully it's at least comparable to the first and third.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
            I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Lone Survivor (2013) 9/10
              http://s30.postimg.org/yrquo6f0w/056..._1400x2100.jpg

2nd viewing

Comment

• Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - 8/10

Doing a different take on the whole thing worked well. I know PA5 is coming out but I hope they do another one of these stand alone movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayy View Post
                  Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - 8/10

Doing a different take on the whole thing worked well. I know PA5 is coming out but I hope they do another one of these stand alone movies.
                  There's undoubtedly going to be a million of the fucking things made, so you'll probably get your wish.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                  I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jayy View Post
                    Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - 8/10

IMO, I don't feel like the film stands on its own at all when it references past events from the previous movies and lazily ties everything together.

The best thing about the movie is when the main character starts realizing the things he can do with his powers, that gave the film a sense of wonder and likability for the main characters that I never felt from any of the movies besides 3.

But it lost me when the daughter of the second film showed up, and it lost me even more with the twist that tried once again to continue this tired story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
                      There's undoubtedly going to be a million of the fucking things made, so you'll probably get your wish.
                      Good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en Sins View Post
                        I watched PA2 a few weeks ago and was shocked at how bad it was. Saw this leaked today so hopefully it's at least comparable to the first and third.
                        It's definitely better than part 2, but not quite on par with the original and 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxley View Post
                          Island of Lost Souls 10/10

Second viewing, didn't think it possible but I loved it even more.. Fucking brilliant. And the Criterion Blu is boss. "What is the law?"

I can't wait to watch this. I got it a few weeks ago but just haven't made time for it. Glad to hear the blu ray version looks good too.

Comment

• Inside [2007] - 7/10
                            This is only the 2nd time I've seen this. I really do love this movie and would love to also give it a higher score but there are just too many things wrong with the plot for me to do so.
                            [SPOILER]The 3 cops, for example. I know cops are stupid, but c'mon! Not that fucking stupid...And why in the fuck would that 3rd cop put that kid on a leash and drag him into the house with him. How about, oh I don't know, leaving him in the car. Handcuffing him to the steering wheel, anything but what he did. And was I supposed to feel bad for the main character? Because I don't, she was a total cunt. [/SPOILER] A few other tiny things bothered me but overall, it's great. Very creepy, spooky atmosphere. I just can't give it a very high score.

Blood, Guts, Bullets & Octane [1998] - 7/10
                            The first movie directed by Joe Carnaham, and it's a good one. Carnaham also made Narc, Smokin' Aces, The A-Team and The Grey - All good movies for the most part. Joe C. even stars in this movie as 1 of the 2 main characters (both used car salesmen). It also has that sort of "post Pulp Fiction" vibe to it and you can tell it was highly influenced by it, as a lot of movies in the late 90's were. *There is also an actor in the movie that looks just like the alien from I Come In Peace/Dark Angel - not 100% sure if its him or not.

Jaws [1975] - 9/10
                            Not much to say about this one. It's awesome! And the blu-ray is gorgeous.

Le Samouraļ [1967] - 10/10
                            This is by far one of the greatest French films ever made. And probably my favorite. Jean-Pierre Melville is surely becoming one of my favorite directors. He didn't make a lot of movies, but the ones he did make (and that I've seen) are dynamite. Le Samouraļ is very unique because it's about a hitman but almost feels like a spy movie. The main character Jef Costello, played by Alain Delon did such an amazing job with his character. He has hardly any lines at all but you feel like you know everything about him and what he's thinking at every moment in the film. If you haven't seen this, try to immediately!!

Comment

• Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)

The best sequel in the Godzilla franchise. Classic. 10/10

Comment

• Holy Motors

Holy Motors is a bizarre and fantastical ride which highlights the magic and creativity of cinema. Any film which ends with talking limousines deserves high praise in my book!

The film follows a mysterious man called Oscar who travels around in a limo full of make-up and props. He travels to various 'appointments' and dresses up as a different character and unleashes himself on the street, or wherever he may be. These roles range from a hideously deranged and deformed monster who eats flowers to a motion capture suit. In typically Lynchian style, we find ourselves immersed in each role, becoming slowly sucked into each new world the film presents us with. It's a truly magical experience, not too dissimilar to that of a dream.

You decide early on whether you're in for the ride or not. You either hop into that limo with Oscar, or you stay stuck firmly to the pavement. To enjoy Holy Motors the most, just go along with it and ask questions later. I embraced it with open arms and lost myself in its surrealism. There may be a lot of deeper meanings here. I think it could represent film-making, or maybe how mainstream films lack imagination. Perhaps the motion capture sequence is to show us how watching people dance about in motion capture suits is more interesting than the actual CGI that dominates most mainstream movies. I don't know, all I know is that this film is highly entertaining.

Denis Lavant is extraordinary in the lead as Oscar. He truly shows off his acting skills as he completely kills every role. He probably impressed me the most as the dying old man, a scene which turns a largely comic film into something more tragic and moving. Kylie Minogue also impressed in her acting role, although her singing left something to be desired. However, the song itself was brilliantly written and composed.

The directing is also pretty spectacular. It beautifully captures Paris and the film seamlessly jumps from genre to genre, whether it be horror, comedy, musical or gangster, Leos Carax clearly understands and enjoys each genre he explores. Holy Motors is a beautifully deranged love letter to cinema and all it has to offer. It's a fantastic, creative film which begs to be interpreted in a variety of different ways. It's easy to see why people would hate it, because it's so unapologetically different to anything else, but this is exactly why I loved it.

9/10
                                ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X