Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - 9/10

Into the Storm - 6.5/10

Two words: fire tornado. This movie was a blast but is the very definition of larger budgeted mindless popcorn flick. I actually had a lot of fun with it despite it being really stupid and predictable.

Honeymoon - 7.5/10

Super bizarre horror movie that doesn't try to hard to fill in all the blanks. Starts slow (not in the best way) but tension builds quickly as the situation becomes more bizarre and troubling for the couple. A couple of really gross moments and a strangely satisfying conclusion makes this pretty solid. I'd like to see it again. It had a sort of Under the Skin vibe going on but I think I may have enjoyed this more than that.

Comment

• Spirited Away 10/10
      jIMMY jOE'S GOT THE BALL AND WON'T GIVE IT UP!"

Comment

• Nymphomaniac (Director's Cut) 8/10

Revenge Of The Nerds 8.5/10

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyNailFromHell View Post
          Nymphomaniac (Director's Cut) 8/10
          Is there much of a difference from the theatrical version ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusted View Post
            Is there much of a difference from the theatrical version ?
            My first time viewing this movie. From what I've read, the DC version is the only way of viewing the self abortion scene.

Comment

• Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10

Mr. Peabody & Sherman - Very surprised, best animated movie of 2014. 9/10

Comment

My first time viewing this movie. From what I've read, the DC version is the only way of viewing the self abortion scene.
                I'll have to check it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by trachea View Post
                  The fact that these two women also hated each other in real life...
                  And seeing Joan Crawford act like a victim which would be quite the opposite irl..
                  Makes me love it even more.
                  It's just pure gold! The stories behind the making of the film are almost as great as the film itself. They're are talks of remake, but unless you can find two actresses who despise each other, it would never work as well.

Surviving Life

I first discovered Jan Svankmajer when I watched the insane 'comedy' Conspirators of Pleasure on Channel 4 one night. It's a 70 minute film which contains no dialogue and concerns a handful of characters who indulge themselves in strange fetishes. These include inhaling small balls of bread and dressing up as a chicken and prancing around a mannequin. It's one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had and whilst I didn't particularly 'like' it, I certainly could never forget it!

So when another Jan film popped up on the telly, I couldn't resist giving it a record! Whilst Surviving Life isn't quite as bizarre as Conspirators of Pleasure, it is certainly about as unconventional as you can get. For a starters an animated photo of Jan himself pops up and tells us about how they had to use photos instead of real-life locations because the budget was so small. He then went onto say that this introduction isn't here because he's a narcissist, rather that the film was too short without it. This is of course a load of baloney as the film was far too long even without the introduction! Although it did make me chuckle.

So the film is partly animated and partly live acted. It flicks between animated photo to live acting in a distracting manner. The fact that all the live parts are filmed in a big close-up makes the film a very claustrophobic experience. In the end it became quite irritating, however I can appreciate the amount of effort that went into making its unique style. You do have it to hand it to Jan though, as he's one of the very few directors trying something new in the world of film.

The story itself isn't much cop. It's about a man who wants to dream in order to carry out an affair with a young woman. However, various complications arise as we learn what his dreams really mean with the help of a psychoanalyst. It's not particularly engaging, and it runs on for far too long. However, I do have to say that the last scene was incredibly clever and fairly disturbing. It does go to show that the story is much deeper than it first appears.

I doubt that most people would be able to tolerate Surviving Life. It did begin to wear out after the first hour, and the comedy aspects are far more disturbing than funny. Seeing a man with a dog's head have sex with a poodle isn't my idea of a fun night out! I do admire the effort that was put into the animation though, and it is refreshing to see a wholly unique style being used. Unfortunately, despite a intelligent ending, the film is definitely more style over substance.

4/10
                  ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Gremlins 2: The New Batch - 4/5

I love this underrated sequel. Joe Dante throws everything at the wall here and, it all sticks. This would have to be one of the craziest live action cartoons ever filmed. It's completely bonkers. No wonder Warner Bros never made a third film, the suits probably walked out of this thinking WTF! Love all of the in jokes and film references, plus the new Gremlin designs are great. Such a gem of a film.

Comment

Spoiler tags?

AG DRAFT 2015

1. Requiem for a Dream (2000) - D. Aronofsky
                      2. Birdman (2014) - A. González Iñárritu
                      3. Dazed and Confused (1993) - R. Linklater
                      4. There Will Be Blood (2007) - P. T. Anderson
                      5. Thirst (2009) - C. Park
                      6. Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - S. Meadows
                      7. Pusher (1996) - N. Winding Refn
                      8. Gomorrah (2008 ) - M. Garrone
                      9. The Way of the Gun (2000) - C. McQuarrie
                      10. Sexy Beast (2000) - J. Glazer

Comment

• Foxcatcher (2014) - 7.5/10

Such a downbeat movie but a very well handled one, Bennett Miller is becoming a real force to watch out for (been a while since I seen Capote but that and Moneyball are both good examples of very good film making). The direction was solid, the acting was all largely impressive from Tatum, Ruffalo and most impressively Steve Carrel. It's better than I thought it would be but at the same time doesn't have the impact that I thought it would either, its still a very well executed movie that looks brilliant, Greig Fraser impresses me more and more each movie. The soundtrack was as bleak as the movie itself and I enjoyed that a lot as well.

The Guv'nors (2014) - 5/10

Decent enough revenge tale from England here, it's nothing spectacular, the acting is so-so from a fairly well known cast (to British eyes at least anyway). The story isn't the greatest,a new age gang comes up against an old school band of ex-hooligans who want to get their own back after one of their own is murdered, it's fairly standard revenge story but doesn't feel too cliched. The direction was what I was most impressed about, the movie looked better than I thought but that ultimately couldn't save it, fairly forgettable movie to say the least.

AG DRAFT 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by BoOMST1CK View Post
                          The Guv'nors (2014) - 5/10
                          Have you ever seen NEDS? It's one of my favorite British films of recent times.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                            Have you ever seen NEDS? It's one of my favorite British films of recent times.
                            Yeah mate, was filmed bout 20 mins from me. It was alright, I did re-watch it recently and it has gone down in my estimation a lot better than most recent gang movies from the UK though. You ever seen Small Faces?

AG DRAFT 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by BoOMST1CK View Post
                              Yeah mate, was filmed bout 20 mins from me. It was alright, I did re-watch it recently and it has gone down in my estimation a lot better than most recent gang movies from the UK though. You ever seen Small Faces?
                              Some of the surreal scenes in NEDS really got to me which is why I like it so much.

Haven't seen Small Faces, looks good though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                                Some of the surreal scenes in NEDS really got to me which is why I like it so much.

Haven't seen Small Faces, looks good though.
                                Fair enough mate, it is a well made film, Peter Mullan did a great job.

Small Faces is pretty good, been a while since I seen it but it's pretty underrated. Always love a British set gang movie, even better when it's your home city featured .

AG DRAFT 2015

Comment