What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
    3.) Why is The Master pretentious? I feel like people throw that word out to anything they don't understand or immediately connect with so long as it's in the realm of arthouse.
    If you don't connect with it, and don't see any of the so-called "depth" to the experience, then it can be labeled "pretentious" by the individual who feels that way. It's not math, it's art. It's not an undeniable fact that it is, or isn't pretentious. It's an opinion.

Comment

1.) It's literally impossible to argue the claims of Inherent Vice being a mess. That said, was anybody expecting a masterpiece from that film? I wanted a fun drug fueled ride in the vein of Boogie Nights and The Big Lebowski and that's exactly what I got.
      Vice is no Lebowski. I understand the parallels between the two, but it's no where close to as entertaining or funny. That and Vice had a flat out dogshit story.

Comment

• Ringu - First time watch and I'm surprised by how much I liked it. Creepy, engaging, and definitely on par with the American remake. 8/10

I'm looking forward to watching the sequels.

Comment

• Originally posted by damnenchiladas View Post
          Vice is no Lebowski. I understand the parallels between the two, but it's no where close to as entertaining or funny. That and Vice had a flat out dogshit story.
          I don't think the story is awful but it clearly isn't the focus... It's supposed to be a catalyst for the characters. Doc is drugged out and totally just along for the ride although he has some sort of internal reason for wanting to solve this "case". It's just so airy and sort of off point that I had a hard time seeing what the point was. Like I said I need to see it again but despite my initial reaction being mostly positive due to how funny and wacky i thought it was... Well kind of just there. Didn't leave much of an impression at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Revelator View Post
            It's just so airy and sort of off point that I had a hard time seeing what the point was.
            Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
              There were a few walkouts at my showing as well.
              Dick suckers.

Originally posted by Heretic View Post
              After The Master and now this, PTA is dangerously close to alienating even his most die hard defenders, and disappearing up into his own asshole. His work seems to getting a bit too self-indulgent.
              I don't think that is the case at all. He produces great work from not much of a budget compared to other big directors in Hollywood. Studios will take a gamble on him because of how little his budgets are and would be prepared to take a hit on something worth like $30m compared to something costing $100m. PTA's fans will always be around, for me he hasn't made a bad film, not even close to one. Inherent Vice is no different, don't judge it on one viewing alone.

Originally posted by damnenchiladas View Post
              The only comparisons I'd make on them is that the main protagonist is a pot head and both require said person to find a person that has gone missing. Both are crime-caper comedies but I'd draw the line there.

AG DRAFT 2015

1. Requiem for a Dream (2000) - D. Aronofsky
              2. Birdman (2014) - A. González Iñárritu
              3. Dazed and Confused (1993) - R. Linklater
              4. There Will Be Blood (2007) - P. T. Anderson
              5. Thirst (2009) - C. Park
              6. Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - S. Meadows
              7. Pusher (1996) - N. Winding Refn
              8. Gomorrah (2008 ) - M. Garrone
              9. The Way of the Gun (2000) - C. McQuarrie
              10. Sexy Beast (2000) - J. Glazer

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post
                Ringu - First time watch and I'm surprised by how much I liked it. Creepy, engaging, and definitely on par with the American remake. 8/10

Highly disagree. I thought it was pretty dull and not nearly as effective as the american remake.
                Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Why would you want to argue with Geek? He puts up an argument like a midget puts up Christmas tree lights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heretic View Post
                  It's an opinion.
                  You know how much I hate those

Originally posted by damnenchiladas View Post
                  And the story in Lebowski is all that special? Lol

And for the record Lebowski >>> Vice... wasn't comparing quality at all. Just felt some very heavy shades of that film in IV.

Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post
                  Ringu - First time watch and I'm surprised by how much I liked it. Creepy, engaging, and definitely on par with the American remake. 8/10

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                  I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

And for the record Lebowski >>> Vice... wasn't comparing quality at all. Just felt some very heavy shades of that film in IV.
                    Both are great to me, Lebowski maybe more so but I've only seen Vice once so can't really compare them in that retrospect yet. Lebowski is my favourite from the Coens followed very, very, very closely by No Country.

AG DRAFT 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by BoOMST1CK View Post
                      Both are great to me, Lebowski maybe more so but I've only seen Vice once so can't really compare them in that retrospect yet. Lebowski is my favourite from the Coens followed very, very, very closely by No Country.
                      Fargo
                      No Country
                      Lebowski

A Serious Man in serious contention for third. Need to re-watch both that and Lebowski to be sure, but for now I'll just be safe and say Lebowski.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                      I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

Fargo
                        No Country
                        Lebowski

A Serious Man in serious contention for third. Need to re-watch both that and Lebowski to be sure, but for now I'll just be safe and say Lebowski.
                        Lebowski
                        No Country
                        Fargo
                        Millers Crossing
                        Barton Fink

I'd never change that order. Unless they make something better of course.

AG DRAFT 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post

Don't get your hopes up too much. The sequels get progressively more ridiculously awful as they go along.

Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                          Exists (2014)-8/10

Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                          Highly disagree. I thought it was pretty dull and not nearly as effective as the american remake.
                          This is scary Geek, we're starting to agree on movie opinions a lot lately (I also think Ringu pales in comparison to The Ring).

Comment

• The Wizard of Gore (1970)-9/10

The Gore Gore Girls (1972)-8/10

Bad Milo (2013)-8/10

The Grudge 3 (2009)-7/10

Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Why would you want to argue with Geek? He puts up an argument like a midget puts up Christmas tree lights.

Comment

• Unaware - A(nother) disappointing UFO/alien film that was contrived and uninspired. The one shining moment was near the end which had a scene that was both completely laughable and yet totally fucking awesome at the same time. - 2.5/10

Lord of Tears - Interesting 70s-gothic throwback flick. My contention with it was the fact that for most of the film, the dialogue between the main characters seemed so poorly written and phony, and the film dragged for periods of time. However, I have the admit in the last third of the film, when shit began to get real, the story picked up immensely. - 6.5/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                                Unaware - A(nother) disappointing UFO/alien film that was contrived and uninspired. The one shining moment was near the end which had a scene that was both completely laughable and yet totally fucking awesome at the same time. - 2.5/10

[
                                Yup this was total shit.

Comment

Working...
                                X