No announcement yet.

What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godzilla - This movie has one major problem. The characters. Each one is more bland than the other, and it really hurts the sense of urgency and peril the movie is trying to sell, because you just don't care about what happens to any of the characters. Can we please get someone other than Ken Wantanabe to play the serious Asian guy in movies? Or at the least, have him not attempt to speak English? You can't understand a goddamn word this guy says. It was a problem in Inception, and it was a problem in this movie. Get someone else. Kick-Ass is no leading man either.

Other than that though, it was pretty good. The story refreshingly deviates from the typical "humans vs monster" blueprint, that you would expect going into this. The action and special effects were great, but unfortunately the movie was extremely dark and murky during a lot of the big scenes, so you will squint a lot trying to see what's going on. It still works, but I'm getting sick of movies hiding the action in the shadows. Not much more to say than that. I do think it might play better on rewatches, but for right now...

7/10

Comment

• The Iceman- Great performances all around. It's a blunt and cold film much like the titular character. Most films like this are so direct there's nothing really remarkable about them save for the actions of the psycho being depicted. They kill and kill and then it's over. This movie does a good job bringing gravity to the reality of brutal living and it's heavy. 7/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Freddy_Lives View Post
        Mask (1985) Directors Cut: 10/10

A true classic.
        Is that the one with Cher? I didn't know there was a directors cut. Does it improve the film much? I love that film.

Hard Boiled

This film was INSANE! It was kind of like The Raid 2 in its sheer level of non-stop over-the-top violence. It also reminded me of Die Hard, although I think Hard Boiled is actually much better in terms of entertainment.

It's not perfect like some people make out. The music is bloody hideous and the story isn't up to much cop. However, it is blissfully entertaining. The hospital finale basically takes up the entire final hour of the film and it's absolutely fabulous.

The level of violence and explosions is almost dizzying. The action isn't as well-shot as Gareth Evans' as there's too much quick-cutting and random slow motion, however there is something about it which makes it kind of hypnotic to watch. There's a fantastic sequence which is all done in one steadicam shot and it was far more effective than all the crazy cutting.

Nevertheless Hard Boiled is like the ultimate action film. I enjoyed the hell out of it and I think I liked it even more than The Killer, although I do need to give it another watch.

8/10

Killer's Kiss

Just like Killer's Kiss I'm going to keep this review brief and pointless. Before Stanley went on making 150-180 minute epics, he started out with this little noir thriller about a boxer protecting the girl next door. At just over one hour this is his shortest ever film and only his only film to have an entirely original screenplay written by him. Itís easy to see why Stanley later looked to adapt stories by others, as Killerís Kiss unfortunately isnít up to much at all.

Considering that the film was made on a teeny weeny budget of $40,000 raised by friends and relatives (kind of like Darren Aronofskyís Pi) itís actually not too bad. It was also made during the pre-Spartacus era where the studios didnít give Stanley final cut on his films and so his original ending was changed to a happier one. I think a solemn ending wouldíve helped the film be slightly more memorable though.

The film is brilliantly shot and I couldnít help but marvel at the use of lighting. Towards the end of the film, the lighting almost becomes another character and adds to the filmís incredibly stylish mood. It has the look of a classic noir however, it doesnít have a story to match.

It all feels rather too conventional and fairly dull. Thereís a boxing sequence which the back of the DVD compared to Raging Bull, but itís nothing like and adds little to the story. Thereís a good fight scene at the end, but by the time itís all over I was left wondering what the point of it was.

Itís a brief film which features bland characters and a boring story. It is very stylish and lovely to look at but it doesnít have much depth to it. You can tell that itís directed by a man who knows his wizardry, however he clearly hadnít fully learnt his craft yet. Letís hope that the more lauded, The Killing has more to offer in the way of plot and thrills!

4/10
        ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Return to Oz - 8/10

Diary of a Wimpy Kid - 7/10

Comment

• Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
            Is that the one with Cher? I didn't know there was a directors cut. Does it improve the film much? I love that film.
            It adds probably 10-20 mins of footage.

Comment

• Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
              Hard Boiled

This film was INSANE! It was kind of like The Raid 2 in its sheer level of non-stop over-the-top violence. It also reminded me of Die Hard, although I think Hard Boiled is actually much better in terms of entertainment.

It's not perfect like some people make out. The music is bloody hideous and the story isn't up to much cop. However, it is blissfully entertaining. The hospital finale basically takes up the entire final hour of the film and it's absolutely fabulous.

The level of violence and explosions is almost dizzying. The action isn't as well-shot as Gareth Evans' as there's too much quick-cutting and random slow motion, however there is something about it which makes it kind of hypnotic to watch. There's a fantastic sequence which is all done in one steadicam shot and it was far more effective than all the crazy cutting.

Nevertheless Hard Boiled is like the ultimate action film. I enjoyed the hell out of it and I think I liked it even more than The Killer, although I do need to give it another watch.

8/10
              Hard Boiled is easily my favourite action movie. Simply brilliant.

AG DRAFT 2015

1. Requiem for a Dream (2000) - D. Aronofsky
              2. Birdman (2014) - A. GonzŠlez IŮŠrritu
              3. Dazed and Confused (1993) - R. Linklater
              4. There Will Be Blood (2007) - P. T. Anderson
              5. Thirst (2009) - C. Park
              6. Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - S. Meadows
              7. Pusher (1996) - N. Winding Refn
              8. Gomorrah (2008 ) - M. Garrone
              9. The Way of the Gun (2000) - C. McQuarrie
              10. Sexy Beast (2000) - J. Glazer

Comment

• Alien Abduction - What a totally cray-cray movie! Aside from a couple speedbumps with the characters (like the hillbilly whose was horribly written), this low-budget FF flick was really done well. Like Exists, which I recently watched and which actually had lots of impressive Bigfoot, this one fulfills its promise of alien abduction. There are several scenes with great looking aliens, and plenty of fucking incredible abductions. I went into this film with low expectations, but I have to say it really blew me away, especially considering the type of film it was. This has instantly become one of my fave alien encounter films. - 8.5/10

Comment

• The Substitute 3: Winner Takes All (1999)-8/10

The Substitute 4: Failure is Not An Option (2001)-7/10

Jaws: The Sharksploitation Edit (1975/2009)-10/10

Comment

• Closer (2004, Mike Nichols) - 6/10

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
                    I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Enter Nowhere (2011) - 9/10

I really want to dig deep into this film and convey to you its excellence through words, but to say practically anything about the film would be to spoil it - the entire picture is a twist that M. Night Shaymalan couldn't possibly imagine.

Now, it's true that you can figure the first major twist out by about twenty five minutes in. One characters mannerisms gave it away, though I initially thought that it was only bad acting. To try to say a lot while really saying very little, she acted out of place and dressed like Barbara in Night Of The Living Dead, so I picked up on the basic nature of the plot, though not its specifics. The second one I only figured out right as it was being revealed.

This is a really bad review. Please see this movie, if you haven't already.
                      Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
                      To the very toes he is terrified
                      For the ground gives way under him
                      And the dreams begin...

Comment

• Martha Marcy May Marlene

Beautifully shot and acted with an interesting plot. The trouble is that it moves at a snail's pace so some of it felt pretty flat. I also wasn't satisfied with the ending.

6/10
                        ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Die Hard 2 .. (because there's a blizzard right now and it creates atmosphere) + DH2 is my favourite of the series .. Has this thick almost cheesy atmosphere + Nero

Half Baked ..

Comment

• Originally posted by dead breed View Post
                            Die Hard 2 .. (because there's a blizzard right now and it creates atmosphere) + DH2 is my favourite of the series .. Has this thick almost cheesy atmosphere + Nero

Half Baked ..
                            With A Vengeance has always been my favourite of the series, love seeing Willis and Jackson tearing up NYC.

AG DRAFT 2015

1. Requiem for a Dream (2000) - D. Aronofsky
                            2. Birdman (2014) - A. GonzŠlez IŮŠrritu
                            3. Dazed and Confused (1993) - R. Linklater
                            4. There Will Be Blood (2007) - P. T. Anderson
                            5. Thirst (2009) - C. Park
                            6. Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - S. Meadows
                            7. Pusher (1996) - N. Winding Refn
                            8. Gomorrah (2008 ) - M. Garrone
                            9. The Way of the Gun (2000) - C. McQuarrie
                            10. Sexy Beast (2000) - J. Glazer

Comment

• 13 Assassins - This was great. I haven't seen tons of martial arts films but my usual concern is that the fighting often looks too choreographed to be believable. The big battle is frenetic and realistic for the most part. It's awesome. Shinzaemon could easily be a new favorite character of mine, so badass. 9/10

Comment

• Originally posted by BoOMST1CK View Post
                                With A Vengeance has always been my favourite of the series, love seeing Willis and Jackson tearing up NYC.
                                A Good Day to Die Hard is mine. The poorly shot and edited action sequences, the uninterested Bruce Willis, the lame villains, the soft R rating etc.

How can you not love it!?

Kidding aside I love the first four films a lot. The OG is probably my fave.

Comment

Working...
                                X