What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also: Prometheus (2012) - 8.5/10

No need for me to recap this; you've all seen it. I'm in the camp that adores the movie, and I certainly understand that plenty of you hate it, too. You just happen to be wrong.
    Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
    To the very toes he is terrified
    For the ground gives way under him
    And the dreams begin...

Comment

• Originally posted by ‹bermensch View Post
      Also: Prometheus (2012) - 8.5/10

No need for me to recap this; you've all seen it. I'm in the camp that adores the movie, and I certainly understand that plenty of you hate it, too. You just happen to be wrong.

I love it too.

Let's Be Cops - 3.5/10

Didn't think this was funny at all outside of a couple of scenes... Was looking forward to it but it was just stupid.

Comment

• Ju-on: The Grudge - Used to not be a fan when I first saw this years ago, but I've since grown to appreciate it. Very creepy and effective (though I still do slightly prefer the made for TV original, The Curse). 8/10

Ju-on: The Grudge 2 - 7/10

Ju-on: White Ghost - 8/10

Ju-on: Black Ghost - 6/10

Valentine - 8/10

Comment

• dumb and dumber 2 1/10 ( in all honesty I only made it through about 20 mins of this garbage.)

grizzly (2015) 7/10 nothing special, but it was fun.

animal (2014) 5/10 entertaining I guess, a movie full of shitty versions of scenes from other great monster movies like the first feast.
          Last edited by zombiedogfood; 02-18-2015, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ‹bermensch View Post
            The thing about Phantasm: OblIVION is that it's the closest in spirit of the sequels to the original.

The second and third movies, while awesome pictures in their own right (and I actually prefer Lord of the Dead to Phantasm II, finding it more in tune with the DIY ethos of the original), basically treat the franchise as an objective horror film series.

TL;DR version: this series should be fundamentally a meditation on loss, not an excuse to blow up zombies. Less Dawn of the Dead and more The Seventh Seal.
            I think the original is on a whole other level and its dreamlike experience can't be matched. For this reason I'm glad 2 and 3 went in a different direction whilst maintaining the heart and characters (although not without their flaws). Oblivion goes back to the original approach but it really didn't speak to me and the death valley stuff felt a little uninspired and didn't capture my imagination. When the original says it all without having to say anything I think it's very difficult to continue this approach.

Comment

• Exists - 3.5/5
              Demons 2 - 4/5
              Demons 3 "the Ogre" - 2/5
              Last House on Cemetary Lane - 3/5
              The Butterfly Room - 3/5
              "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
              H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

• Foxcatcher

Foxcatcher has the absorbing coldness of a film by Michael Haneke. I had zero interest when I read that it was about Olympic wrestling, however my interest was lighted when I saw the sinister trailer for the film and found out that it was in fact a psychological drama and not some sort of rites-of-passage sports movie. Unfortunately, I did read about the ending and started kicking myself when many critics recommended reading nothing on the true story. So although the ending was no surprise to me, it was still pretty shocking.

However, thereís much more to admire about the film than its tragic finale. A lot of people have called the film too slow and boring, and whilst it is very slow paced, I never found it boring for a moment. People who find this film boring would probably end up committing suicide if they put themselves through something like Uzak! I did think that it was longer than it needed to be, but it wasnít much of a detraction. Apparently, the original rough cut was almost 4 hours long so the editors have done well to whittle it down to a trim 130 minutes.

The beginning of the film perfectly illustrates the lonely existence of wrestler, Mark Schultz. The shots are long, uninterrupted and the lighting is dim. Mark existence is based purely around wrestling as he lacks any sort of social life. His brother is his only friend and even he isnít that friendly towards him. Things change when similarly socially inept, John Du Pont invites him over to his mansion and asks to join his wrestling team and train for the Olympics.

Thereís a thick foreboding atmosphere which penetrates throughout the film. A lot of the sinister edge comes from Steve Carellís outstanding portrayal of wrestling and bird enthusiast, John Du Pont. Heís almost unrecognisable with his gigantic prosthetic nose which could outdo Katie Hopkins! He doesnít look, sound or act all that human. Thereís an otherworldly quality to him and you canít help but become completely absorbed whenever heís on screen. Heís an unpredictable character who always remains compelling. The maniacal end scene urged me to find out more about the true life case.

I was also impressed with Channing Tatum, who is normally cast as the pretty boy in rom-coms. His performance is pretty intense and a large amount of method acting was involved too. Apparently when he smashed his head on the mirror it was completely improvised! Mark Ruffalo didn't impress me quite as much but he still held his own. Really it's Steve's show and you'll go away from the film with his haunting performance in your mind.

Foxcatcher is a supremely creepy and atmospheric film. It's a character and relationship study. Watching John and Mark become friends is quietly gripping. Their fallout is all the more interesting. It's beautifully directed and its quiet surrealism adds to the film's sinister atmosphere. Perhaps it's a little too slow for mass audiences, but fans of Michael Haneke and Paul Thomas Anderson will undoubtedly find a lot to like. I know that I did!

9/10
                ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Night of the Demons 2 1994 (6/10) - Loved the original but sadly this is a lackluster follow up that pads out its running time with a dull set up. At least it has its moments and the nun is kinda cool .

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                    Night of the Demons 2 1994 (6/10) - Loved the original but sadly this is a lackluster follow up that pads out its running time with a dull set up. At least it has its moments and the nun is kinda cool .
                    I love NOTD 2. A lot in fact.

Fart head.
                    Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Why would you want to argue with Geek? He puts up an argument like a midget puts up Christmas tree lights.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                      I love NOTD 2. A lot in fact.
                      In reflection I'd probably give it a 6.5, I didn't hate it or anything, just didn't think it was great.

Have you seen the third?

Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                      Fart head.
                      Puf! Wonderlust! Geek just called me a fart head!

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                        In reflection I'd probably give it a 6.5, I didn't hate it or anything, just didn't think it was great.

Have you seen the third?
                        I've seen all of the NOTD films numerous times and 3 is....well...I like it but most fans hate it.

It's the cheapest of the 3 films and the new Hull house isn't nearly as effective as the one in 1 & 2 (they tore down the OG house after the filming of 2)

Puf! Wonderlust! Geek just called me a fart head!
                        Ain't I a Stinker
                        Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Why would you want to argue with Geek? He puts up an argument like a midget puts up Christmas tree lights.

Comment

I've seen all of the NOTD films numerous times and 3 is....well...I like it but most fans hate it.

It's the cheapest of the 3 films and the new Hull house isn't nearly as effective as the one in 1 & 2 (they tore down the OG house after the filming of 2)

Ain't I a Stinker
                          No Busey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freddy_Lives View Post
                            No Busey.

Was to lazy to do that hence the busey.
                            Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Comment

Fart head.

Comment

• The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill - Despite all the negative ratings, I still gave this one a whirl and found it to be great. Although it has that slow, plodding, Ghosthunters/insert ghost hunting show title here, that part was done quite well, and when shit got real, it had some genuinely creepy parts to it. It's a slow movie, with only a few real creepy elements, so I can understand why this isn't everyone's cuppa tea. I, however, enjoyed it a lot. - 8/10

The Taking of Deobrah Logan - Started out pretty solid, but went off the rails a bit too much at the end. - 6.5/10

Toad Road - I can save you time, if you've ever considered watching this, with the following, which pretty much sums up the film:

And I was shocked (I think) to read that the female lead (who was 24 but looked to be about 15) died of a fucking drug overdose shortly before the film premiered. Apparently she didn't bother paying attention to what she was acting out. - 1/10

Comment

Working...
                                X