What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)-10/10

Easily my favorite animated Batman movie. Great story and animation, superb voice work, an entertaining third act and Shirley Walker's score is amazing.

I have a question: What happened to the joker? Andrea disappears with him and you see her at the end alone.
    Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Why would you want to argue with Geek? He puts up an argument like a midget puts up Christmas tree lights.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
      I love NOTD 2. A lot in fact.

Fart head.
      Night of the Demons 2 is the shit.

Basket Case - 9/10

Comment

• The Master (2012) - 9/10

Toying with the idea that this is just behind There Will Be Blood for PTA's best. The first time I saw it I wasn't too keen on it but I accepted that it was superbly written, directed, acted now after seeing it again I caught bits and pieces I must of missed and I couldn't get enough of it, thoroughly enjoyed it this time around. Anderson has really found his form in his last three movies (although he hasn't done a film I haven't liked), looking forward to what he's got up his sleeve next.

Birdman (2014) - 9/10

Such a great experience. Love everything about this, even better second time around. That soundtrack is fucking killer, shame it gets no nomination at the Oscars (poor show Academy). Birdman, Inarritu, Keaton, Lubezki for the wins this weekend!

AG DRAFT 2015

1. Requiem for a Dream (2000) - D. Aronofsky
        2. Birdman (2014) - A. GonzŠlez IŮŠrritu
        3. Dazed and Confused (1993) - R. Linklater
        4. There Will Be Blood (2007) - P. T. Anderson
        5. Thirst (2009) - C. Park
        6. Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - S. Meadows
        7. Pusher (1996) - N. Winding Refn
        8. Gomorrah (2008 ) - M. Garrone
        9. The Way of the Gun (2000) - C. McQuarrie
        10. Sexy Beast (2000) - J. Glazer

Comment

• Thrashin' 8/10

80's classic...

[YOUTUBE]xoECn8asxdA[/YOUTUBE]

My DVD's/Blu's

Comment

• Inherent Vice - 6.5/10

Felt like I had to watch it again to finally make my mine up about this... I like many parts of this movie, think its extremely well acted and shot but overall I just get very little from it. The story isn't nearly as hard to follow as a lot of people think but I don't think it's all that interesting either and as a result any of the potential deeper meaning trying to be derived from the characters and dialogue (especially the whispery, emotionally heightened narration) doesn't come through. Worth a watch but I would say this is PTA's worst movie.

Whiplash - 10/10

3rd viewing and still flawless.

Comment

• Into the Woods 2012 - 3.5/5
              Patrick Still Lives - 2/5. Italian sleeze - lots of nudity, asshole men & one graphic full frontal death scene. Overall boring & stupid.
              "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
              H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

• 7/10

Decent fun flick, not as good as the original but still a fun watch, looking forward to more from this series.

Comment

• Shatter Dead (1994) - 8.5/10

Has anyone else here seen this? It's easily the most off-beat and innovative zombie picture I've ever seen, held back only by the ultra-low quality camcorder film stock it was shot on. But the premise and acting overcome its no-budget limitations; this is a movie that would probably be considered a legitimate cult classic if it had seen a wider release. Bloody Disgusting hated it and gave it a 2/5, but I learned a long time ago that the actual site here is basically the GameFAQs of horror films, regurgitating endless praise for stale "genre classics" and knocking down quality indies every chance it gets.

Anyway.

The thing that differentiates Shatter Dead from any other zombie picture is that its ghouls are polite to a fault. Rather than lunge at you from the shadows and devour your flesh, leaving whatever remains to reanimate, they instead attempt to convert you to immortality based on its philosophical merits.

The opening sequence, of a winged angel making love in a darkened bedroom, is apparently an allegory for how this zombie 'apocalypse' (and the term is used very loosely here) began. It's very film school and probably shouldn't have been in the film, but it doesn't actually hurt the movie, and it's a pretty nifty big of imagery regardless.

Highly recommended.
                  Last edited by ‹bermensch; 02-19-2015, 03:44 PM.
                  Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
                  To the very toes he is terrified
                  For the ground gives way under him
                  And the dreams begin...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
                    I have a question: What happened to the joker? Andrea disappears with him and you see her at the end alone.
                    I believe there's a comic sequel that explains what happened to The Joker.

52 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

• Laggies - A decent, if not spectacular, dramedy starring my two fave actresses, ChloŽ Grace Moretz and Keira Knightly, both giving their usual stellar performances. Sam Rockwell is his usual awesome self as well. - 7/10

V/H/S: Viral - While it lacked the cohesion of the previous entries in the series due to a lack of a solid connecting story, for the most part, Viral was fucking awesome. "Dante the Great" was fantastic, and scared the shit out of me at the end. "Parallel Monsters" was totally fucked up and a great spin on its subject. "Bonestorm" had some narley moments, but was otherwise face-punchingly irritating, and way too long. "Vicious Circles" had some great parts, but had a rather unsatisfying, lame ending. And not sure if this was just on the DVD, but post-credits was a surprise with "Gorgeous Vortex", a visually stunning, though not fleshed out enough, extra story. - 8.5/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ‹bermensch View Post
                        Shatter Dead (1994) - 8.5/10

Has anyone else here seen this? It's easily the most off-beat and innovative zombie picture I've ever seen, held back only by the ultra-low quality camcorder film stock it was shot on. But the premise and acting overcome its no-budget limitations; this is a movie that would probably be considered a legitimate cult classic if it had seen a wider release. Bloody Disgusting hated it and gave it a 2/5, but I learned a long time ago that the actual site here is basically the GameFAQs of horror films, regurgitating endless praise for stale "genre classics" and knocking down quality indies every chance it gets.

Anyway.

The thing that differentiates Shatter Dead from any other zombie picture is that its ghouls are polite to a fault. Rather than lunge at you from the shadows and devour your flesh, leaving whatever remains to reanimate, they instead attempt to convert you to immortality based on its philosophical merits.

The opening sequence, of a winged angel making love in a darkened bedroom, is apparently an allegory for how this zombie 'apocalypse' (and the term is used very loosely here) began. It's very film school and probably shouldn't have been in the film, but it doesn't actually hurt the movie, and it's a pretty nifty big of imagery regardless.

Highly recommended.
                        I LOVE Shatter Dead. One of my favorite SOV films. The sex scene towards the end is a real eye opener. Holy shit

Originally posted by H.P. Pufncraft View Post
                        I believe there's a comic sequel that explains what happened to The Joker.
                        I just found these:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...nnual01-01.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...nnual01-02.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...nnual01-03.jpg
                        Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Why would you want to argue with Geek? He puts up an argument like a midget puts up Christmas tree lights.

Comment

• Zombies: The Beginning (2007)-8/10

Wonder Woman (2009)-9/10

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000)-9/10

Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Comment

• Birdman 9/10

Comment

• Water for Elephants

I wanted to see this for my baby boy Christoph mainly and he didn't disappoint. His character was basically a cartoon villain, but he played him expertly! The next best actor was the elephant!

Unfortunately, there was very little chemistry between RPatz and RSpoonz and it offered nothing new in terms of a period romance. It's been done more memorably in Titanic and The Notebook.

It is, however, quite beautiful to look at. The costumes, sets and directing are all top-notch. It's just a shame that it doesn't have a script to match. It was pretty enjoyable though.

5/10
                              ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Friday the 13th (1980) - After some digging it's been discovered via The Freedom of Information Act that this film was actually commissioned by a committee of conservatives led by Ronald Reagan. The plan was to dissuade teenage sex and reefer smoking by having a boogeyman placed into the social consciousness. Unfortunately, their plan completely backfired, as people started fucking more and at an earlier age - thus making the US population to grow exponentially. Reefer smoking has increased and so has the potency the drug. Instead of scaring teenagers straight - this evolving fiend has gone on to delight the young and old to the detriment of all of society. As I watched this film, I could feel the opposite of the intended result. I really longed to bone a nubile camp counselor and that smoke looked awfully tempting. My wife was horrified when she came home and found me in the pantry, in nothing but frayed denim shorts, shouting "You are doomed!"

8/10
                                Last edited by Dr. McStuffin; 02-20-2015, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X