No announcement yet.

What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cinderella (2015)"......First off, now this is how you do a remake of a classic Disney masterpiece. Move over Maleficent, Snow White & The Huntsmen, Mirror Mirror...etc!! None of these movies hold a candle to this new adaptation of one of the most beloved Disney classic fairytales. Kenneth Branagh does a masterful job directing this beautifully done film that stays true to the original storyline/animated movie, and also adds more character development and a few added touches. Lily James is enchanting as "Cinderella". The young actress is really good and should have a bright film future ahead of her. Cate Blanchett is fantastic as the "Stepmother". OMG..she just inflated the role with her sarcastic, bitter, dramatic, and emotional portrayal. Richard Madden as the sexy and charming "Prince" is awesome and delivers a very fine performance. Love his eyes, smile, and package!! LOL!! Helena Bonham Carter is a delight as the "Fairy Godmother". She is fun and campy and you can tell she had a blast portraying the character. Gorgous costumes(give the film the Oscar now...nothing is beating it), sensational art direction and cinematography, terrific directing, solid special effects, and a terrific cast all highlight the film. It is filled with emotion, drama, enchantment, beauty, and most of all.....magic!! Brilliant!!

10/10

Comment

• "The Haunting In Connecticut"....I thought this was a very creepy movie with a fine cast and a fine storyline that actually flowed nicely together. Virginia Madsen is great and her emotional scenes were top notch. Kyle Gallner as "Matt" was great and the teen that played "Jonah" was also good. Some good suspense and thrilling music add nicely to the movie too. One of the stronger haunted house type movies.

7/10

Comment

• The Bride of Frankenstein
        jIMMY jOE'S GOT THE BALL AND WON'T GIVE IT UP!"

Comment

• Originally posted by HorrorMovieFan View Post
          Richard Madden as the sexy and charming "Prince" is awesome and delivers a very fine performance. Love his eyes, smile, and package!! LOL!!

Need more reviews like this on the here, never ceases to amuse me.

Top Five (2014) - 6/10
          Divergent (2014) - 4/10
          The Voices (2015) - 7/10

Comment

• Spring, 2014. 5/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
              [SPOILER]Yeah totally. Also it wasn't until today while watching the football that it hit me, when he got pulled over by cops the reason he wasn't wearing a seatbelt was because of extreme claustrophobia... and he did that to his victims... I literally said to myself "you motherfucker." [/SPOILER]
              Oh shit, didn't realize that. Will have to look out for that next time I watch.

X: Night of Vengeance (2011, Jon Hewitt) - 5/10

Escape from New York (1981, John Carpenter) - 7/10

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
              I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• The Captive - In typical Atom Egoyan fashion, the story is not told in straight linear fashion. This makes the beginning confusing, but then again, it's not the first time I've encountered one of his films like that. It's not as 'deep' a story as some of his other movies, but overall I thought it was pretty decent. Even though things wrap up perhaps a little too neatly at the end, hardly any movies do any more, so it was a nice change to not be left in the dark. - 7/10

Ejecta - Half the story is pretty creepy and well done, the other half, mainly with a horrible actress as the 'evil doctor', was done poorly. Nothing awful, but nothing worth going out of your way to see. - 4.5/10

The Avengers - Realized I hadn't seen this one since it was in theaters, so figured I needed a refresher before Ultron comes out. - 10/10

Comment

• The Mist (B&W Version from the 2 disc Special Edition) - 10/10

While Stephen King material can be hit or miss for me, I really enjoy this short story. A very Twilight Zone-esque tale which shows that even in the midst of monsters attacking from the unknown, the worst monsters are far closer and more human then you think. I first read the short in High School, just a few days before band camp where one morning a massive wall of mist rolled in. That morning was very nerve-wracking to say the least.

Frank Darabont has previously shown he can do film adaptations of King's work pretty damn well, and this is no exception whatsoever. Very solid performances from the cast all around, including Marcia Gay Harden who sold the hell out of Mrs. Carmody.

Then there's the creatures, each one is memorable in their own right and for me no movie/horror spider can even compare to what's seen in the Mist. They freaked me out when I read the story, and the design of them in the film is pure nightmare fuel for me.

Then there's the controversial ending for the film which has people divided. Some love it, some hate it and thinks it ruins the whole movie etc. For me I really like the ending for multiple reasons. One, the short story didn't really have a ending. It was one of those ongoing things where you don't know what happens to the main characters, it can work find for a short story, but not so much for a movie. So I was happy to have a definitive ending.

Second, for me the ending really fits with the overall themes and conflicts in the story. The Mist shows the extremes people go to when crazy shit goes down and there's no answers and no safety net. (The tagline of the poster wasn't kidding with "Fear Changes Everything".)

Finally, not only the movie's ending was approved by King himself, Frank Darabont really fought to keep it. The studio was scared of the ending, and they offered to give a bigger budget if Darabont gave it a different ending. But he stuck with his ending and still made a great film with a smaller budget. An' I can appreciate when a director/writer sticks to his guns like that.

Lastly, while I do enjoy the regular color version of the film, I really do enjoy the Black and White version for a couple reasons. While most of the effects are good, The Loading Dock scene has the weakest CGI. However it looks quite nice in B&W. Also, Darabont wanted the film to be released in B&W and I can agree with that. As I said earlier the Mist is a Twilight Zone-esque story, so with the film in B&W it really does come off as a more adult Twilight Zone episode/movie, and I'm always down for anything like that.

Overall, for me the Mist isn't just a great film, it's one of my personal favorite horror films period.

(But seriously, fuck those spiders.)
                  The level of human stupidity has gone too high, we must bring out the Brick Gun.

Comment

• Devil May Call, 2013. 5/10

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfblood View Post
                      Finally, not only the movie's ending was approved by King himself, Frank Darabont really fought to keep it. The studio was scared of the ending, and they offered to give a bigger budget if Darabont gave it a different ending. But he stuck with his ending and still made a great film with a smaller budget. An' I can appreciate when a director/writer sticks to his guns like that.
                      It would've been a totally different film. Simply from a cinematography standpoint it would've probably been shot in anamorphic instead of using the guerrilla hand-held crew from "The Shield". But in the end it was to the film's benefit.

Lastly, while I do enjoy the regular color version of the film, I really do enjoy the Black and White version for a couple reasons. While most of the effects are good, The Loading Dock scene has the weakest CGI. However it looks quite nice in B&W. Also, Darabont wanted the film to be released in B&W and I can agree with that. As I said earlier the Mist is a Twilight Zone-esque story, so with the film in B&W it really does come off as a more adult Twilight Zone episode/movie, and I'm always down for anything like that.
                      Yes, yes yes! I've said numerous times that the one shoddy piece of effects work takes place in the loading dock but it's totally cleaned-up & integrated in the B&W version. Even without that though; the B&W version just adds to the overall 50's monster movie vibe & is the only version I'll ever watch.

Overall, for me the Mist isn't just a great film, it's one of my personal favorite horror films period.
                      Along with "Let The Right One in" "The Mist" is the best horror film of the last 10+ years. That's not hyperbole; it's fact.

DVDs

Recent Flicks
                      Jurassic World - 7/10
                      Speed - 8.5/10
                      John Wick - 9.5/10
                      The Omen III: The Final Conflict - 7/10
                      Interstellar - 8/10

Comment

• Raw Force - 10/10 This was fucking awesome. A new favorite.

Piranha DD - 8/10

V/H/S: Viral - 7/10

Comment

• Bloodsport 9/10

I FIGHT TO SURVIVEEEEEE!

Kumite, kumite
                          Kumite, kumite
                          Kumite, kumite
                          Kumite, kumite

My DVD's/Blu's

Comment

• Originally posted by travisbickle View Post
                            Bloodsport 9/10

I FIGHT TO SURVIVEEEEEE!

Kumite, kumite
                            Kumite, kumite
                            Kumite, kumite
                            Kumite, kumite
                            HAHA that's so funny. I watched this on tv the other day and had that song stuck in my head afterwards

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Hag View Post
                              It would've been a totally different film. Simply from a cinematography standpoint it would've probably been shot in anamorphic instead of using the guerrilla hand-held crew from "The Shield". But in the end it was to the film's benefit.
                              Agreed, with all the cast stuck in one building for most of the film the hand-held approach worked just fine for it.

Yes, yes yes! I've said numerous times that the one shoddy piece of effects work takes place in the loading dock but it's totally cleaned-up & integrated in the B&W version. Even without that though; the B&W version just adds to the overall 50's monster movie vibe & is the only version I'll ever watch.
                              Adding to the vibe was them ultimately filming with 400 ASA for a grainy look, if they went digital it would've come off looking a bit too perfect for this type of film.

Along with "Let The Right One in" "The Mist" is the best horror film of the last 10+ years. That's not hyperbole; it's fact.
                              Looking back on the films I've personally seen, I wholeheartedly agree. LTROI is a damn goregous film, though I gotta' pick up the release with the updated subtitles. (Seriously Magnet, what the hell was up with putting in those dumbed down subtitles?!)
                              The level of human stupidity has gone too high, we must bring out the Brick Gun.

Comment

• I agree that The Mist is probably the best horror of the last 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X