What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wolfblood View Post
    Looking back on the films I've personally seen, I wholeheartedly agree. LTROI is a damn goregous film, though I gotta' pick up the release with the updated subtitles. (Seriously Magnet, what the hell was up with putting in those dumbed down subtitles?!)
    Oh so there is a newer release with correct subtitles? I remember reading how off they originally were but I didn't hear anything about a new release.

DVDs

Recent Flicks
    Jurassic World - 7/10
    Speed - 8.5/10
    John Wick - 9.5/10
    The Omen III: The Final Conflict - 7/10
    Interstellar - 8/10

Comment

• The Mist is good but it's no masterpiece IMO. The ending is absolutely stunning, it's just a shame that the rest of the film isn't as strong
      ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
        The Mist is good but it's no masterpiece IMO. The ending is absolutely stunning, it's just a shame that the rest of the film isn't as strong
        Keep smoking on that crackpipe Halloween 6. Keep smoking.
        Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Then it's my job to teach them how to do it, how they will be able to master a rockhard dick with their skillfull tongue - simple. I did that once, I'll do it again, no prob for Santa.

Comment

• WALL·E - Long ago I gave up on modern animated films - the 'for the parents also' aspect has completely ruined them IMO - but I kept reading how WALL·E was 'one of the best sci-fi films ever' so I decided to take a chance. And I admit I was wrong on this one. WALL·E is heads and tails above all modern animated films, save for the Toy Story ones (which are the Holy Trinity to me). Stunning visuals and a not-completely-typical story. - 10/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayday View Post
            WALL·E - Long ago I gave up on modern animated films - the 'for the parents also' aspect has completely ruined them IMO - but I kept reading how WALL·E was 'one of the best sci-fi films ever' so I decided to take a chance. And I admit I was wrong on this one. WALL·E is heads and tails above all modern animated films, save for the Toy Story ones (which are the Holy Trinity to me). Stunning visuals and a not-completely-typical story. - 10/10

Animated films are better now more than ever.
            Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Then it's my job to teach them how to do it, how they will be able to master a rockhard dick with their skillfull tongue - simple. I did that once, I'll do it again, no prob for Santa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sea Hag View Post
              Oh so there is a newer release with correct subtitles? I remember reading how off they originally were but I didn't hear anything about a new release.
              Yup, the updated release has a "English (Theatrical)" in the list of subtitles on the tech specs.

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
              - Long ago I gave up on modern animated films - the 'for the parents also' aspect has completely ruined them IMO -
              I'm quite curious, how does this aspect ruin modern animated films when a general bias/stigmata to this day is people think they're just for kids and nothing else?
              Last edited by wolfblood; 03-23-2015, 08:08 PM.
              The level of human stupidity has gone too high, we must bring out the Brick Gun.

Comment

• Martin, 1977. 9/10

Nekromantik, 1987. 10/10

Comment

WALL·E - Long ago I gave up on modern animated films - the 'for the parents also' aspect has completely ruined them IMO - but I kept reading how WALL·E was 'one of the best sci-fi films ever' so I decided to take a chance. And I admit I was wrong on this one. WALL·E is heads and tails above all modern animated films, save for the Toy Story ones (which are the Holy Trinity to me). Stunning visuals and a not-completely-typical story. - 10/10
                  You should give The Lego Movie a shot. I didn't really expect much from it but I was genuinely laughing my ass off the entire film. Try it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                    Scarecrows 1988 (8/10) - Fun flick with a cool location and some nice gore effects. It certainly has its flaws and I got annoyed that it used the exact same shot of a breathing scarecrow about 20 times . However I found it's dark vibe and nastiness prevailed over any shortcomings.
                    I'm glad you brought up that three packs a day emphysema scarecrow. The funny thing is I hadn't really noticed the fucker or found him all that jarring until I went on the IMDB boards last week, read some annoyed comments about him and then watched it again this weekend.

But yeah, the location and vibe is off the charts giving it that rarely achieved thing; ambience. I also dig the corny machismo from the mercenaries. When I'm imbibing I even make a drinking game out of all the over the top trash talk lobbed Bert's way as they're pursuing him.

The random thing that actually bothered me.....what kind of mercenaries are these dumbasses supposed to be that they decided to rob an Army Base payroll instead of a bank or armored car?

Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                    Tony is like Henry Portrait of a serial Killer, a pretty grim watch. Enjoy
                    I'd go as far to say Tony is a much tougher watch on repeated viewings (I've never re-watched it myself) but not due to how grimy or grizzly any acts of violence committed are of course. But rather because Tony himself is one of the most sad lonely pathetic fucks you'll find in any film. I felt pretty bad for him [SPOILER]when he got unjustly blamed by the big burly drunkard bastard for his missing kid. [/SPOILER]

Comment

• Dirty Mary Crazy Larry 1974 (8.5/10) - Fun Southern road movie starring Peter Fonda and Susan George. The characters are a blast and the car stunts are just insane. It's in keeping with Easy Rider and Vanishing Point although much more simplistic in its approach to Americana.

"Every bone in her crotch, that's what I'm gonna break."

Originally posted by RayPuresoul View Post
                      I'm glad you brought up that three packs a day emphysema scarecrow. The funny thing is I hadn't really noticed the fucker or found him all that jarring until I went on the IMDB boards last week, read some annoyed comments about him and then watched it again this weekend.
                      It's a slightly odd shot and it's the fact they recycle it a ridiculous amount of times! Not a big deal but a little distracting.

The random thing that actually bothered me.....what kind of mercenaries are these dumbasses supposed to be that they decided to rob an Army Base payroll instead of a bank or armored car?
                      I wasn't too sure about that bit of the plot, maybe they were from that base so it was an inside job?

Tony himself is one of the most sad lonely pathetic fucks you'll find in any film. I felt pretty bad for him
                      I haven't rewatched either myself, they require a rare mood. It's probably been 10 years since I've seen Henry though so it's about time I rewatch it. Tony is incredibly lonely and pathetic but that's true of serial killers, I like that nothing is glorified. If it's an easy watch then the filmmakers are being dishonest.

Comment

• "Jaws"....A timeless classic filled with thrilling adventure and wonderful suspense. Wonderful screenplay, solid directing, great cinematography, terrific music score, and a pretty good cast. Roy Scheider is splendid, Richard Dreyfuss is top notch, and Robert Shaw is a good scene stealer. I didn't really care for Shaw's character that much but the death scene is pretty brutal and shocking. Nominated for 4 Academy Awards(including Best Picture) and winning 3 (Film Editing, Score, Sound)!!

10/10
                        Last edited by HorrorMovieFan; 03-24-2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Cheap Thrills

Cheap Thrills has the type of concept which could easily live up to its title. Two rich sickos torturing a couple of poor strangers by daring them to do progressively twisted tasks could result in an exploitative B-movie designed to shock the audience for the sake of it. Thankfully, Cheap Thrills manages to offer much more than a few cheap thrills. It’s actually an intelligent, engaging and darkly humorous little film with a few hints of postmodernism not too dissimilar to Funny Games.

Pat Healy and Sara Paxton made a terrifically witty duo in Ti West’s limp, The Innkeepers and deserved to appear in a much better film. Cheap Thrills is that better film, and whilst Sara doesn’t have particularly much to do, Pat puts on a similarly likable performance as the down on his luck protagonist, who we can all relate to. In fact, all of the characters manage to be engaging and interesting. I love how realistically the film progressed from a friendly encounter on a night out to a sick set of dares.

For a film largely set in one location with just four characters, it’s never boring. Quite the opposite, in fact I was left wanting more and I think it could’ve pushed the boundaries more, but that’s probably just my twisted horror nut coming out! Where the film actually succeeds is that it doesn’t make the dares the focus of the entire film. Instead it’s much more concerned with the characters and how they develop, thus making for a much better quality and more involving piece of filmmaking.

The comment it makes on society is quite heavy-handed but nevertheless an intelligent and relevant one. It’s best to view the two rich psychos as symbols, rather than characters. They’re obviously representative of the bourgeoisie and how they exploit the poor minority. However, the film also makes a subtle comment on the psychotic nature of audiences too. I thought that the ending kind of made out like the psychos were doing it all for us, the viewing public, thus adding another intelligent and postmodern layer to the film.

Overall the film is a striking debut and this E.L Katz bloke looks like he has a promising future in the horror movie industry. His directing was consistently intense and he managed to build some massive amounts of tension. Cheap Thrills may falter on repeated viewings (due to the lack of a surprise factor) but for a first time viewing there’s very little to complain about. Perhaps it could’ve been a little more twisted, but really I was surprised by how intelligent the screenplay actually was. Cheap Thrills offers a lot more than its title suggests. It’s probably one of the best horror-comedies we’ve had in a while.

8/10

Tropical Malady

On the other end of the spectrum is Tropical Malady, an unbearably boring Thai art film from the same director who gave us that other unbearably boring Thai art film, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. Who would've thought that a film featuring a talking monkey could be so bloody boring?

The film is split into two different halves. The first hour is the slightly better one (not saying much tbh) and follows two lads awkwardly falling in love. Not a lot happens, however more happens in this hour than the second hour which follows a man hunting a naked tattooed man in the jungle. There are splashes of surrealism, but only splashes and no where near enough to keep you interested.

It's just so bloody slow! People have likened it to having a spiritual experience, but I just wasn't feeling it at all. I suppose you either 'get it' or you don't. I didn't. It looked quite nice though.

2/10
                          ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor RoXo View Post
                            You should give The Lego Movie a shot. I didn't really expect much from it but I was genuinely laughing my ass off the entire film. Try it.
                            I did. Couldn't change the channel fast enough.

Comment

I did. Couldn't change the channel fast enough.

This smiley was invented for comments like that.
                              Bow to the Schlock King

B-Movie Madness

Comment

• Originally posted by horrorking95 View Post
                                Cheap Thrills

Overall the film is a striking debut and this E.L Katz bloke looks like he has a promising future in the horror movie industry. His directing was consistently intense and he managed to build some massive amounts of tension. Cheap Thrills may falter on repeated viewings (due to the lack of a surprise factor) but for a first time viewing there’s very little to complain about. Perhaps it could’ve been a little more twisted, but really I was surprised by how intelligent the screenplay actually was. Cheap Thrills offers a lot more than its title suggests. It’s probably one of the best horror-comedies we’ve had in a while.

8/10
                                More twisted? It was already pretty fucked up and twisted. Can't be compared to mindfucks like Martyrs or Irreversible, but it is still pretty fucked in its own right.

Man, your reviews are so damn long.
                                "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
                                Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Working...
                                X