What films did you watch today? V2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
    It's been giving me massive feels all day! Similar to Boyhood in that regard, only Mommy has a charm and vigor to it that Linklater's film could only dream of achieving. Pilon and Dorval have two of my favorite performances I've seen in a long time and it's without a doubt one of the most technically innovative films I've ever seen. To think that Dolan could make something so revolutionary at such a young age is insane.
    Yeah, Dolan is a pretty special talent for sure. Really liked a couple of his previous efforts, Laurence Anyways and Tom at the Farm, also. However, Mommy is just on a whole other level. It's the kind of film that anyone who claims to be a cinema enthusiast literally has to see. It's also one of those movies that makes things like the Academy Awards all the more ridiculous and meaningless. If there was any justice in the world, Pilon, Dorval and Dolan would have awards coming out of their asses. No nomination for foreign-language film even though it was Canada's submission? What a load of fucking bull. The scenes with Steve's first outburst at Die, Steve's placement in the mental health unit, Die's daydream about an alternate timeline in which her son leads a happy life, and that scene at the end with Die fighting back her tears when Kyla leaves and she is left alone... all this shit is as powerful, well-acted, beautifully directed as anything I've ever seen before.

One of the best things about cinema is when it gives you that almost transcendent feeling, and Mommy provides that tenfold. Upon seeing it again, I would definitely go back and review my 'Best of' list of 2014 and rank it higher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadly Fiend View Post
      Mommy looks pretty interesting, I'll have to give it a watch sometime soon.
      Do!

Originally posted by The Devil's Lyric View Post
      Yeah, Dolan is a pretty special talent for sure. Really liked a couple of his previous efforts, Laurence Anyways and Tom at the Farm, also. However, Mommy is just on a whole other level. It's the kind of film that anyone who claims to be a cinema enthusiast literally has to see.
      So true. Ridiculous that Dolan isn't getting the attention other indie filmmakers are.

Maybe that will change with Chastain signing on for his next film?

even though it was Canada's submission? What a load of fucking bull.
      Yeah, that was pretty shocking to me when I read that last night. Haven't seen the other films nominated for best foreign language film, but I have a hard time believing that they're half as accomplished as Mommy is.

The scenes with Steve's first outburst at Die, Steve's placement in the mental health unit, Die's daydream about an alternate timeline in which her son leads a happy life, and that scene at the end with Die fighting back her tears when Kyla leaves and she is left alone... all this shit is as powerful, well-acted, beautifully directed as anything I've ever seen before.
      All devastating scenes. And the final shot with Steve running for the window with Born to Die kicking in for the credits?

Not exactly subtle, but beautiful all the same. Reminded me of Lights at the end of Spring Breakers.

One of the best things about cinema is when it gives you that almost transcendent feeling, and Mommy provides that tenfold. Upon seeing it again, I would definitely go back and review my 'Best of' list of 2014 and rank it higher.

Would be #1 for me in any other year.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
      I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Se7en View Post
        So true. Ridiculous that Dolan isn't getting the attention other indie filmmakers are.

Maybe that will change with Chastain signing on for his next film?
        Honestly, I hate getting political about stuff like this but I feel like the fact that he often makes films with LGBT subject matter and strong female leads has something to do with it. Unfortunately it makes his films more of niche thing. Mommy is the first of his films to not feature a predominantly gay-interest story, and it has been his biggest hit so far.

Originally posted by Se7en View Post
        Yeah, that was pretty shocking to me when I read that last night. Haven't seen the other films nominated for best foreign language film, but I have a hard time believing that they're half as accomplished as Mommy is.
        I've seen three out of the five and can honestly say that, unless there was some kind of technicality in which it couldn't be nominated, that is quite possibly one of the most unfair Oscar oversights in years.

All devastating scenes. And the final shot with Steve running for the window with Born to Die kicking in for the credits?

Not exactly subtle, but beautiful all the same. Reminded me of Lights at the end of Spring Breakers.
        Yep, that ending left me feeling so fucking elated man... can't even tell you. None of the song choices were very subtle. Dido? Celine Dion? Lana Del Rey? But they work so well, and I also feel key into the character of Steve a little as he's always listening to pop ballads.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Devil's Lyric View Post
          Honestly, I hate getting political about stuff like this but I feel like the fact that he often makes films with LGBT subject matter and strong female leads has something to do with it. Unfortunately it makes his films more of niche thing. Mommy is the first of his films to not feature a predominantly gay-interest story, and it has been his biggest hit so far.
          That wouldn't surprise me. Not to mention all the taboo moments in Mommy potentially offending a lot of the more conservative members of the Academy. I can just imagine some old white lady watching Steve feel up Die and being absolutely appalled at what she was seeing.

and I also feel key into the character of Steve a little as he's always listening to pop ballads.
          Same

Must acquire that soundtrack.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
            Conan the Destroyer (1984)-8/10

I Come in Peace (1990)-8/10

aka Dark Angel

CONAN THE DESTROYER is underrated! And DARK ANGEL is a 90's cheese-fest classic!
            "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

• John Carpenter's THE THING

CLASSIC. Looks and sounds GREAT on blu-ray! (also, Bill Carson is extra proud of himself for STILL not having seen that regurgitation / rip-off / cash-in that was shitted out in 2011)
              "When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

Comment

• Housebound (2014, Gerard Johnstone) - 7.5/10

Comment

• Originally posted by TheReturnOfSarsoor View Post
                  I wish I had a good sound system and a large LED tv. On Imax it was glorious.
                  I've got a 60 inch TV and 5.1 speakers and it still felt like the same impact as when I first saw it in Imax. Completely glorious

Know this is a shot at me you little shit.
                  Not aimed at you, just folk like you. I don't understand how you could watch a film on your phone

Byzantinium

A very enjoyable vampire romp! I normally don't like sexy vampire films but this managed to be tell an interesting and entertaining story. It held my attention for 2 hours even if it didn't really bring anything new to the table. Gemma Arterton was also smouldering in this

7/10
                  Last edited by horrorking95; 04-01-2015, 10:19 AM.
                  ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• The Midnight Meat Train - 7/10

Comment

• Her 2013 (9.5/10) - Still digesting this movie, not quite sure what to say about it other than the effect it had on me was similar to Lost in Translation.

Comment

• Kristy - I'm surprised they still haven't released this one, at least on VOD/DVD. For what it was, (Hollywood low-budget hunted college girl) the flick was actually well done and effective. And definitely got the heart racing. Though the scares are mostly of the jump/harsh music chord variety, they often come at unpredictable times, and at fitting moments. I was caught off-guard several times - something that rarely happens for my any more. I would watch this again. - 8/10

Out of the Dark - The ghost children were well-rendered and spooke, but the story was extremely unoriginal and predictable in its progression. Stephen Rea's sleepwalking through his role performance didn't help either. - 3.5/10

Comment

• Leprechaun 2 (1994)-8/10

Comment

• "Vamp".....A fun and campy horror/comedy movie. One of my guilty pleasures that I enjoy watching from time to time. Grace Jones is a riot as the sexy and deadly "Katrina". Robert Rusler(AJ)...now thats another story. HHmm..what a handsome and suave man. Chris Makepeace and Dedee Pfieffer are terrible actors and performed badly. But what the hell...their cheese added to the comedy and camp of the movie. Loved the Albino gang and the guy that played "Snow" was awesome!! Gore and makeup effects were good, as well as the action.

6.5/10

Comment

• "The Lost Boys"....Wonderful 80's vampire flick. Hip, scary, thrilling, funny, and gory!! Top notch cast led by the sexy and suave Jason Patric and Keifer Sutherland. Only mild cheesy thing is the fake "deep voice" acting Cory Feldman portrays in the film. Dont know what was with that. Terrific special effects, wonderful make up, great location spots and art direction, awesome music score, and fine ensemble acting all highlight the film. I grew up with this film and it is one of my alltime faves! Terrific!!

10/10

Comment

• Whiteboyz - 7/10

Comment

Working...
                                X